Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 72220 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 68 - Afternoon, Most Boring Of Times
« Reply #690 on: July 12, 2013, 03:54:09 am »

((So I'm sure in the grand scheme of things, Shashari the Forest Wanderer will be accorded just as much respect as Lars the Flaming Berserk Conqueror of Heathen Temples. Nonetheless, I'm pretty impressed with his pace and lack of deadness.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 12, 2013, 07:24:39 am »

((How will Phiali fit into things?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 12, 2013, 07:44:31 am »

I'm rather surprised Lars hasn't hit Flaming Failure of the Dice yet.   I credit his dedication to the ideal of obedience driving him rapidly forward.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 69 - The Flames Have Spoken
« Reply #693 on: July 12, 2013, 08:56:13 am »

Turn 69 - The Flames Have Spoken

Gronok looks for a library in this hole of a city-state. Fortunately for him, a vast harem is not the only thing the king of Lazalam is known for - it's also the fact that he is an appreciator of good literature, and the city features a great Royal Library, or at least that's what Gronok can gather from an inscribed stone in front of a rather sizable building not too far from the palace. The entrance is flanked by guards on both sides, and they're rather mean-looking.

Gronok considers how best to approach this. The building is surrounded by a tall, ornate stone wall with distinctly enlightenment-themed murals (though some appear to have been defaced), and a currently closed metal gate leads into the courtyard of the library compound. Well, he thinks it's a library compound, judging by an inscription on the building's facade that says "STRIVE TOWARD KNOWLEDGE".

Shashari, observing that she can find out little more from the tripwire, resolutely crawls down the probably-northern passage. Fortunately, there are no notable tripwires. She does reach a circular room of some kind - a few rays of light from up above shine into it, illuminating what looks to be a half-collapsed well.

There is a passage leading further north from here, looks like, though it seems to continue into darkness. There's also a rather... ripe dead fellow here, lying on the ground face-down. There is a faint smell of burnt flesh coming from the body.

Phiali, cursing his lack of creativity in on-the-spot ritual creation, wanders off to a corner slightly away from the rather bored Azha and beseeches God to help him out here. After all, it shouldn't be up to him what God wants Her followers to do?

[Prayer roll: 5+1]

After a rather exhaustive prayer session, Phiali believes he's got it! Regular ritual baths in the river, for one. Probably several times a day. So that's one thing. Another is a sound rejection of the idea of monogamous marriage. It is a silly institution contrary to God's will. Also, people should set aside a time each month or so to ferment wine or distill spirits of their own, depending on the available measures, or all together fund a person who makes wine or spirits for them to enjoy. Finally, days are organized in groups of seven. The evening of the fifth day shall be known as the High Time, when all people are expected to lay down their occupations and spend their time drinking, socializing, joking and engaging in other forms of merriment to please God, laying down immediate material pursuits for the duration of said time.

Ayup. He thinks that's enough to start with, at least with what he knows and what's been done so far. He considers creating a holiday for himself, but then rejects it on the grounds of his adventures being a bit too saddening to warrant a holiday just yet. Maybe later.

Elizas, tired of loitering around pointlessly, tries loitering with a very defined, worthy purpose instead. In this case, the conversion of idlers around town. Fortunately, there's a whole bunch of idlers standing outside the currently closed Temptations of Azlippus. They seem to be waiting for the place to open, and wave to Elizas, probably remembering him from that rather nice musical performance he gave there.

He pauses a moment to figure out how best to manage a spontaneous conversion. Direct approach, fiery approach, sneaky approach? So many ways to proselytize!

Lars, noticing that all the primary targets of his assault are here, brings out the big guns. He points at the head priest, channeling his own wrath into him, hoping to bring down God's mighty, flaming fist of justice upon the filthy heathen! The room darkens for a moment except for the head priest, who glows! He flashes with light suddenly, bursting into holy fire at Lars' behest!

[Head Priest endurance roll: 3]

The head priest screams as his armor begins to radiate heat, tongues of flame streaming out of the joints. The air fills with the stench of burning flesh as the screaming priest drops to his knees, trying to remove bits of his red-hot armor to minimize the danger to his internal organs!

"See!  See how your leaders suffer at the hands of the True God!"

[Priest morale roll: 1-->4]

The other priests take a step back from the flaming head priest, some of them involuntarily losing their grip on their weapons.

"The flames, they obey this person who smells of dung!" one shouts in surprise.

"The flames, they have spoken! And not in our favor!"

They all glance fearfully at Lars, who basks madly in the light from the still-burning and panicking head priest, who has now completely liberated himself from his armor, and is now busy rolling around on the ground to extinguish himself. It looks like the other priests are now terribly confused.

3 MP expended!
Heretic burned! 1 MP gained!

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 12, 2013, 09:09:37 am »

Describe the rituals.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 12, 2013, 10:42:29 am »

Lars brings himself up to his full height and gestures with both hands.  "Kezilam is a lie!  A falsehood brought about by liars such as this one.  See how he crumbles when True Light is brought unto him!  Unless you wish to join him, cast down your weapons now and beg for forgiveness!"

One more time, give them a chance to submit (except the head priest, he's a dead man.)  Push the attack very quickly against any that do not fully submit.  Stomp on the Head Priest for good measure.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 12, 2013, 12:34:39 pm »

I could like this king. I could like him very much.

Reverently enter the library.
Prepare to strive towards knowledge.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:36:11 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 12, 2013, 12:35:38 pm »

Stride toward knowledge.

Fixed that for you.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 12, 2013, 12:37:00 pm »

Stride toward knowledge.

Fixed that for you.
Edited in favor.
This place better have a librarian that I can convert.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 70 - The Stride Toward Knowledge
« Reply #699 on: July 15, 2013, 03:35:05 pm »

Turn 70 - The Stride Toward Knowledge

Phiali, having reached a satisfactory amount of rituals, goes about describing them to Azha.

"One ritual of the One True Faith that one cannot live without is the ritual bath," he explains. "One must regularly bathe in running water, preferably several times a day, to not only cleanse their body of all that is objectionable to God, but also bask in Her grace."

"No objections there."

"Secondly, people should set aside a time each month or so to ferment wine or distill spirits of their own, depending on the available measures, or all together fund a person who makes wine or spirits for them to enjoy."

"Hm. That may pose difficulty. But continue."

"Well, days are organized in groups of seven. The evening of the fifth day shall be known as the High Time, when all people are expected to lay down their occupations and spend their time drinking, socializing, joking and engaging in other forms of merriment to please God, laying down immediate material pursuits for the duration of said time."

"Good as any day. No people to socialize much with, though. Except, of course, my husband."

"Well, anyway, finally there is the fact that monogamous marriage is forbidden and must be rejected. Well, exclusively monogamous marriage, anyway."

Azha seems intrigued by the last bit more than anything else, though, as always, it's difficult to tell with her.

"And what if I am in such a marriage? How is divorce handled?"

That's a good question, really. Maybe he can put in something involving fire. Yeah.

Lars, about to milk his miracle for all it is worth, forcefully gestures at the Kezilamite priests!

"Kezilam is a lie!  A falsehood brought about by liars such as this one.  See how he crumbles when True Light is brought unto him!  Unless you wish to join him, cast down your weapons now and beg for forgiveness!"

[Lars intimidation roll: 5+1]

The Kezilamite priests look at each other for a moment. One of them drops to his knees, dropping his sword in front of him.

"I beg forgiveness, I truly do! I see the error of my ways, and in my life I have never seen such a display! You speak the truth!"

Another one follows his example, making yet another sword clang as it hits the ground.

"I beg forgiveness, speaker of truth. You have humbled us and shown us the way through your might and inspiration."

Finally, the last priest, seeing no point in being contrarian, kneels as well, surrendering his blade.

"I submit and ask your forgiveness and that of God. We were ignorant, and now we are illuminated."

Lars, glad that a peaceful agreement could be reached, walks to the head priest.

[Lars strength roll: 5]
[Head Priest endurance roll: 6-->5]

He stomps on the prone priest as hard as he can, but the priest doesn't seem to mind. In fact, he gets up, fetching his sword quickly.

"You may command heathen power, but let's see how well you can dodge a blade from one of the faithful, yes?"

Hm. That's not quite what he had in mind, really.

Gronok, noting that for once he might find himself in a rather favorable atmosphere, tries to reverently enter the library. He approaches the large metal gates and tries to push them open. Reverently.

[Strength roll: 1-->1]

He pushes at the gate. It does not budge. He pushes at it again, but harder. Still nothing. He pushes yet harder, but the gate refuses to move.

Okay, maybe that's not the way to open this gate. Maybe pulling will work? Yeah. He pulls and pulls, a vein visibly popping out on his forehead, but the gate is unassailable. Clearly, there is only one course of action possible.

Gronok clutches the bars and starts to shake them vigorously, yelling for intimidation value.

Against all odds, however, this also does not work. Damn it all.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 15, 2013, 03:38:12 pm »

((Nice to see someone fail almost as badly as Phiali.))

"It hasn't come up. I suppose it would depend on the situation. Around here, I suppose there's not much to worry about with that sort of stuff, so a law like that could be safely ignored."

Determine if giving my guess counts as telling the truth!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 03:40:22 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 15, 2013, 03:39:59 pm »

Look for a pulley of some sort, or a rope, or something. If not found, try to push the gate open again. If that fails, knock on the gate. If that doesn't work, attempt to attract attention from inside via yelling. If not that, look for passerby and ask how to get in.
Sig! Onol

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 15, 2013, 05:42:25 pm »

((I did it again. Read turn, contemplate action, forget everything. D:<))

Ewwwww. Go back and explore east. Or was it west?

Whichever non-south-ish direction that isn't pitch black and moist probably because it has a pool I'm about to fall into.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 15, 2013, 10:22:41 pm »

Lars is no fighter, and going unarmed against a sword-wielding priest would probably be a bad idea.  Despite this, he cannot exactly turn down a challenge like this and save face.  He grabs a sword that one of the turned priests has dropped.

"Heretic!  You cannot stand against the might of the One True God!  If you three are truly faithful, show it by subduing this liar and heretic!"

Grab the sword and face the priest!  If the other subdue, run him through.  Otherwise, play defensive and strike when able.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 15, 2013, 10:40:17 pm »

Sing recruitment song to townspeople.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 60