Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MINECART: bounce of ramps??? going down N/S track  (Read 1726 times)

robe323

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
MINECART: bounce of ramps??? going down N/S track
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:03:30 am »

why does this happen, i have a minecart traveling north as it hits a N/S track ramp instead of going down the track ramp it bounces off it and derails
i checked the ramp with k it says "downward ram N/S" yet the cart just bounces off, even more enraging the cart works perfectly fine in the other direction going up the very same N/S ramp and can easily travel down N/S ramps when going south but cannot seem to go down N/c ramps when going up

#||#       
1.) ▼       2.)#▲#      Key: 1.) is layer 1 , 2.) is one z level down # = wall  || = N/S track  ▼ = N/S track ramp from above,   ▲ = from below   M = minecart
     ||           ###
     ||
     M   
     ||

when the minecart hits the ramp  it derails no matter how slow i make the cart go

is this bug for everyone, i have tried every godamn ramp but i cant make the minecart go down a ramp while travelling north, plz help

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: MINECART: bounce of ramps??? going down N/S track
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 08:04:06 am »

Has it been going down any ramps prior to that? How fast is it travelling at the slowest speed you make it hit the problem ramp (speed in ticks per tile)?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:32:00 pm »

Has it been going down any ramps prior to that? How fast is it travelling at the slowest speed you make it hit the problem ramp (speed in ticks per tile)?

This is the reason minecarts are so sketchy and I hope overhauls are made. You can only make sense of them when you measure speed in terms of time/distance which goes against every intuition. When will DF make the jump from discrete to continuous?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 01:52:17 pm »

You can only make sense of them when you measure speed in terms of time/distance which goes against every intuition. When will DF make the jump from discrete to continuous?
You can measure in whatever you want, it's just simpler to measure this way. You can use dfhack to obtain the real actual speed of cart in normal form they're stored in.
When will DF make the jump from discrete to continuous?
Probably slightly later than computers will.

As for topic, I've never encountered that bug.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »

You can only make sense of them when you measure speed in terms of time/distance which goes against every intuition. When will DF make the jump from discrete to continuous?
I feel compelled to ask: how else would you measure speed other than in terms of time and distance?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 04:36:40 pm »

You can only make sense of them when you measure speed in terms of time/distance which goes against every intuition.
~8 ticks per tile is the same speed as ~0.125 tiles per tick. You can convert if it really bothers you that much.

I've had an issue a while ago with slow carts derailing on ramps after going down numerous other ramps and picking up enough speed to spontaneously derail due to rounding errors, but between that and other issues I abandoned that particular track setup before finding a solution.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 09:38:54 am »

*removed for ueslessness

:)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:54:45 pm by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:24:43 am »

You can only make sense of them when you measure speed in terms of time/distance which goes against every intuition.
~8 ticks per tile is the same speed as ~0.125 tiles per tick. You can convert if it really bothers you that much.

But what is 0.125 tiles o_o

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 10:14:13 am »

It's an eighth of 1 tile.