Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most useful artifacts ever.  (Read 2537 times)

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
Most useful artifacts ever.
« on: December 23, 2012, 08:33:45 pm »

We've seen topics like best/worst or lamest artifacts ever, so now it's time for a thread about MOST useful artifacts ever. Post your most useful artifacts and why they are useful!
Remember, !!CAKE!!
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
  • McMagma, Fortress Addict.
    • View Profile
Re: Most useful artifacts ever.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 08:15:34 am »

My first artifact in my current fort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My militia commander love his new beret  8)

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 08:49:39 am »

Common Furniture; chairs, tables, statues even chairs or mechanisms (use in wells), simply cause they can be built in a room and make dwarfs happy.
Next is weapons and armor made of sensible materials.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 05:55:57 pm »

[/quote]
My first artifact in my current fort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My militia commander love his new beret  8)
Yes, but how USEFUL is it?
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:14:18 pm »

I had a weaponsmith make me a steel spear, which I displayed in my dining hall via weapon trap to make dinners that much more enjoyable. Okay, that doesn't sound very useful.

But! A dragon came unto my, stumbled into my *Serrated Green Glass Disc* hallway, lost all it's teeth, got its scales dented, received a concussion, and started writhing in agony on the floor. In the only entrance/exit to my fort. Then came goblins, which the dragon promptly vaporized. Then a were-man (I forget which variety) tried to attack, but suffered the same result.

I realized that my fortress was in need of a champion if it was to survive with such a fearsome (albeit severely damaged) enemy at the gates. So I ordered the great spear taken down and given to the most talented spearwielder among my dwarves and sent him alone to face the waiting beast. He snuck up on the lizard in its sleep and, after a few false starts, managed to skewer his foe through the brain.

And thus the tale of the famous spear and it's anonymous bearer is told.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 11:21:45 pm »

furniture for my nobles, armor for the military
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 03:27:10 am »

The first artifact in the test fort I'm running now was a door.

It's made of rough wood (and menaces with spikes of rough wood), so it's less valueable than metal masterworks (or even fair-wood masterworks), but it's indestructible! YEAH!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 03:51:37 am »

Not sure if adventurer mode items count, but anyhow:
My copper pick now has a metric shit-ton of decorations on it and has felled Bronze Collosii. It can pretty much one-shot anything, so it's very useful.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 04:51:46 am »

An Artifact lead mace, decorated with graven images of the last elf burning to death in a pool of his own boiling blood. Covered in rings of slade, and spikes of adamantine.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 10:03:10 am »

An Artifact lead mace, decorated with graven images of the last elf burning to death in a pool of his own boiling blood. Covered in rings of slade, and spikes of adamantine.
piks or it did not happen

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »

Was lucky enough once to snag an artifact steel breastplate. Gave it to my legendary wrestler, gobbos invade, hilarity ensues.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 04:16:35 pm »

I've had a useless useful artifact. That SORT OF counts, right?

See, it was a leather quiver. However, it was sort of cursed. The first wielder ended up dodging into the lava moat while battling goblins. The thing caught fire and smoked for a year or two, until I was able to fish it out.
Then, a few years later, I uncorked the clown car. Clowns of Fire, this being 40d. I beat them off (quit sniggering), at the cost of most of the champions. I had to basically seal it all off again to avoid a tantrum spiral after they were dead, as well.
Now, when I re-opened the mines after stabilising, I nearly had another tantrum spiral from the smoke. Guess what? Someone had caught fire while holding the quiver, and I had to have it put out with a pond zone. Along with a couple of other flammable artifacts that'd gone up elsewhere.

The most flat-out useful artifact was a donkey-bone bin on a map with no wood. That was hauled to the depot and back SO MANY TIMES.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 04:26:05 pm »

Current fort: First Artifact

A copper crossbow that menaces with spikes of copper.  Got it in a possession, though. :-\
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 06:06:22 pm »

Is it me, or do all the good artifacts happen on a possession? It's as if the game wants to taunt you with a great piece of kit, but deny you the means to make more.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 05:43:00 am »

Adamantine axe. Nuff said.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: [1] 2