2,000 - 10,000☼ (average)
- 5 (15.2%)
10,000 - 50,000☼ (rich)
- 5 (15.2%)
> 50,000☼ (filthy rich)
- 17 (51.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How's Life in Your Fortress?  (Read 2358 times)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How's Life in Your Fortress?
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:41:54 pm »

GDP per capita is a reasonably accurate way of estimating the quality of life of the average person/dwarf in a country/fortress. While some dwarves may be more equal than others (;D), overall, it's a pretty good way to measure.

To find the GDP per capita in your fortress, take your fort's created wealth (on the z status screen) and divide it by the population (also on the z status screen).

In one of my latest forts, Crystalcobalt, a rather thick aquifer combined with a small labor force is halting progress. Meanwhile, the dwarves that are lucky enough to have bedrooms have the typical 3x1 cram style, and the dining hall is just a few wooden chairs in the sand. Aside from that, there are only a few workshops, farms, stockpiles and a trade depot. The surroundings are terrifying, but mysteriously, corpses don't come back to life. However, all of outside is soaked in human blood, which often rains. The only thing the dwarves of Crystalcobalt have that may make any dwarf jealous is an automatic mist generator located at the front entrance, which doesn't do much for their GDP per capita score, which is 25497☼ divided among 35 dwarves, or 728☼ per capita (dirt poor).

Tell me about yours!
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: How's Life in Your Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:44:35 pm »

27753 is the thing per each dwarf as I have 3,830,000 divided by 138.  each dwarf has a 3x3 engraved room. 
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 01:10:27 pm »

The Duchy of Deleronol, Steelmountain, 13 years since founding

138,160.78☼ per capita.

16,993,776☼ Created Wealth / 123 Dwarves
527,443☼ Weapons
1,371,001☼ Armor
1,300,294☼ Furniture
5,297,696☼ Other Items
4,152,696☼ Architecture
3,597,632☼ Displayed
747,014☼ Worn

585,496☼ Imported
852,503☼ Exported

27,890 Food Stores

Life is easy except for the near constant ambushes and sieges, but my defenses and military handle them easily.  Triple walled and magma moated.  Only things that present any threat are fliers since they can land inside the walls, and they can be sealed out of the mountain proper.  Simple 3x3 bedrooms for everyone and then some.  Everything is smoothed immediately after digging.  Engraved corridors and important places like the dining room.  I let my engravers practice on the upper z levels of each major room since no one ever really sees it.  2x2 engraved pillars everywhere too.  Everyone also gets their own spot in the catacombs and a slab after death.  There's a volcano and tons of iron, marble, silver, gold, copper, tin, etc.

Sometime soon I want to build a labyrinth for the minotaur I caught.

untakenusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 01:17:38 pm »

For some reason gold is everywhere in my current world (in 2 embarks I've had so far the equivalent of 220k and 350k bars worth of gold ore from prospect). As a result I've just been using gold to build my entire fortress, resulting in opulent 3x3 rooms and offices for everyone.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 01:40:50 pm »

35 million dwarfbucks divided by 125 dwarves gives a GDP per beard of 280,000.  They bedrooms are pretty pimped out, but the bulk of the wealth is "Other objects".  I don't even know what counts as an "Other object".

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
  • McMagma, Fortress Addict.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 01:52:41 pm »

6450,54 per Dwarf... 352760/55 Dwarfs (Do Children count?:P) Food Store: 5333
Imported Wealth: 973 56
Exported Wealth: None

This is a recent Fortress and there was a baby boom xD sow...
yeah
3x1 Rooms it a Bed...

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 03:04:16 pm »

GDP isn't a perfect measure for quality of life, if I compare forts:
Duthnurthol (Guardeddeeps), 27505036 created wealth, 473 dwarfs,  32 years old, GDP: 58150, at least 2x4 bedrooms for everyone
Tholziril (Deepfires) 27102093 created wealth, 366 dwarfs, 20 years old, GDP: 74049, 2x2 bedrooms for all non-nobles

So with roughly equal wealth, the fort with higher population has a lower GDP, despite having a much higher standard of living.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 11:18:13 pm »

Indeed. It just shows how much money a Fort has.

Silentthunders has loads!
6,623,173☼ Weapons
Lots and lots of weapons in my Fort, it's heavily militiarized. Nuff' said.

15,205,657☼ Armor and Garb
More armour as well - but the main bulk of this is the cloth industry. Trade caravans no longer show up to Silentthunders, so the cloth crafts industry has diminished in favour for masterwork cloth clothes, for use in military and civilian sectors.

2,730,865☼ Furniture
Everyone gets an armour rack, weapon rack, bed, two coffers, two cabinets, a table, a chair and two masterwork limestone/marble statues at least. Oh and I have thousands, literally thousands of doors.

19,712,435☼ Other objects
The bulk of this is mechanisms I cannot use - I accidentally left some workshops on repeat and before I knew it all of my stockpiles were full of masterwork mechanisms. Otherwise cloth crafts.

9,063,271☼ Architecture
Nearly the entire surface is paved over with marble and limestone roads.

8,292,947☼ Displayed
What the hell is displayed wealth? Things the enemy can see? The fools, they should see nothing but bolts in their eyeballs.

11,251,988☼ Held/worn
Clothing industry.

72,880,306☼ Total created wealth, with 135 Dwarves for a GDP of...

539,854☼ per Dwarf.
(539854.118519)

So a lot.

• Every Dwarf gets a fully furnished Royal Bedroom (I decided against putting bees in them because it'd take too long).
  • Every Dwarf joins the military, lest Silentthunder's need for armour and weapons grow short too many legendary soldiers means no farmers, so everyone starves to death. I'm still not sure how to divide non-military Dwarves from military Dwarves. I'll probably have one migrant wave of Dwarves be exempt from military duty and call it a century.
  • Everything is made out of limestone or marble, ramping up the values a helluva lot.
  • There is one legendary doctor, but given his "useless usefulness", other doctors can be conscripted at a whim.
  • Dwarves have access to Dwarven wine, Dwarven rum, Dwarven beer, Dwarven ale, Prickle berry wine, Strawberry wine, Longland beer, Sewer brew, River spirits, Fisher berry wine and Whip wine, as well as the occasional mug of mead.
  • About 1300 assorted biscuits and roasts. Dwindling in quantity, these are a relic of the past when Silentthunders could import great swathes of fish and meat into the Fort.

*Very little fish.
                   *A fair amount of meat, with the zombie pig industry growing in momentum.
                   *A great amount of edible plants and fungi, ready for consumption in the event of a really, really bad disaster.
                   *Seriously there's 1.726 years worth of food and 2.125 years worth of alcohol stocked.
My Dwarves eat stoic and drink fervently.
  • No soap.
  • Over a hundred and some water sources.
  • Two hospitals, both next to or inside barracks, one of them is stocked full of medical supplies and has a dining room where Dwarves can view the surgeries being performed.
  • The prison can house everyone in the Fort and more. Which is kind of a silly thing, considering how I'm not sure anything could survive prolonged exposure hanging off the side of a quarry into the center of a very angry subterranean full of zombies and cavern beasties.
  • No trade caravans, ever. Eternal siege with an enemy I cannot see - damn stealth Necros.
  • Ambushes and sieges are rare.
  • Half the territory is in an evil biome that rains Dwarf blood, the other half is much more neutral.
  • FFFFFFFFFF-RAVENS

(Undead ravens are an ever present nuisance and threat).

Tl;dr, my Dwarves drink well and craft better.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 07:00:29 pm »

GDP isn't a perfect measure for quality of life, if I compare forts:
Duthnurthol (Guardeddeeps), 27505036 created wealth, 473 dwarfs,  32 years old, GDP: 58150, at least 2x4 bedrooms for everyone
Tholziril (Deepfires) 27102093 created wealth, 366 dwarfs, 20 years old, GDP: 74049, 2x2 bedrooms for all non-nobles

So with roughly equal wealth, the fort with higher population has a lower GDP, despite having a much higher standard of living.

(I think you mean GDP per capita when you say "GDP")

It is true, GDP per capita can't account for everything. However, while in Deepfires you may have smaller bedrooms, you clearly have more wealth in some other sector of your dwarven economy. May I ask how many dwarfbucks were in each sector in the two forts? (like weapons, armor, furniture, etc.) Overall, it's still a pretty good rough estimate of the total wealth available to your little greedy psychopathic drunks.

As for the poll, I'm fascinated, but not entirely surprised. My theory is that while your fortress is dirt poor, it will get "stuck in the mud (or aquifer)", so to speak, but once it passes the dirt poor stage, it's well on its way to generating more wealth very quickly, as you have developed both your means of production and your labor force and you're not struggling for survival. Additionally, the older a fortress gets, assuming you have a population cap on, you will eventually begin to accumulate wealth faster than dwarves, either from domestic production and development or Goblin Christmases.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 07:43:38 pm »

Error: Divide by zero

I'm waiting for the next migrant wave, while my two existential anchors "José" and "HoseB" vamp it up in their own personal nightclub: "On the Edge of Forever."

Thank Armok for vampires.

( OK, technically that's a population of two, but I have good reasons for my numerical approach and .. oh. Um .. Do ghosts count? Game on in da club floor yo! )
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 08:14:40 pm »

Nearly in the stinking rich category, due to having ~1,110,000 wealth for 25 dwarves. However, nobody bar the military has a bed to call their own and the Modest dining room is crammed into a corridor and is mostly base quality furniture made in the first year. If you discount artifacts, the GDP per capita drops to a still-ridiculous ~28,300.

But the food is really nice.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 08:18:51 pm »

Regstinthad has a total wealth of 110,487,755 and 190 dwarfs, which gives a figure of 581,514.5 dwarfbucks per dwarf.  The bedrooms and communal dining room are still plain, temporary structures.  We're just about to start obsidian casting the real bedrooms and the Volkshalle, and are just finishing increasing the number of magma forges and smelters from 13 to 31 to handle the creation of the steel and gold masterwork furniture for them.  So we'd expect the fortress wealth to increase dramatically in the next few years, and as we're already over our population cap, "GDP" per capita should increase too.

However, we believe that in DF, as in real life, GDP is a poor indicator of quality of life, so we'll be focusing on GNH (Gross National Happiness) as conceived by the fourth Dragon King (this is IRL, check it out on wikipedia) and concetrating on making our dwarves as happy and safe as possible.  We've heard that some other forts don't worry about these things, so we're expecting a lot of visa applications.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:22:22 am by Nkosi_SW »

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 10:03:49 am »

However, we believe that in DF, as in real life, GDP is a poor indicator of quality of life, so we'll be focusing on GNH (Gross National Happiness) as conceived by the fourth Dragon King (this is IRL, check it out on wikipedia) and concetrating on making our dwarves as happy and safe as possible.  We've heard that some other forts don't worry about these things, so we're expecting a lot of visa applications.  ;)

Gross National Happiness (GNH) should be easy to calculate in Dwarf Fortress (happiness is objective, unlike in real life), especially with Dwarf Therapist. If you don't have Dwarf Therapist, you could first check the wiki for an average happiness value that a given happiness descriptor has (for example, "quite content" has an average of ~100), then average these scores and define your GNH as whichever range this final average falls in (for example, a "miserable" fortress).

However, GNH is slightly less convenient than GDP/GNP to measure, especially if you don't have Dwarf Therapist or you have 200+ dwarves, even if it might be a more accurate way to measure the "quality of life". Still, you must remember, these are dwarves. Their concept of happiness is derived from their perceived wealth (and occasionally a death of their loved one, although this is easily offset by a legendary dining room). Wealthy fortresses are also usually happy fortresses, because they have a strong military/police force protecting the citizens and there is often good food, drink, dining rooms and bedrooms.

Good point though.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 01:49:21 pm »

Total wealth of Dorenolol:

88642872☼/88 = 1007305☼

Then again, I have a well with a value of 36 million in the king room.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 08:11:09 pm »

(I think you mean GDP per capita when you say "GDP")

It is true, GDP per capita can't account for everything. However, while in Deepfires you may have smaller bedrooms, you clearly have more wealth in some other sector of your dwarven economy. May I ask how many dwarfbucks were in each sector in the two forts?
Oh sure, I forgot the "per capita" there.
Both forts are on the same embark site, in "parallel worlds". Deepfires was my first fort that survived for a substantial amount of time, but I got bored with it. I really liked the site though, so Guardeddeeps is an improved version, in the same pocket world with much upped numbers of megabeasts and titans and thus different history. Guardeddeeps also has the same FPS (~25) as Deepfires, but 100 dwarfs more.
Deepfires has a horribly convoluted design, with stockpiles, stairs and rooms all over the place, while Guardeddeeps uses central 3x3 staircases and levels dedicated to certain functions. Due to massive agricultural overproduction, Deepfires has insane food stockpiles. In Guardeddeeps I produced only what I needed, traded stuff away and atomsmashed XXclothingXX, thus the lower overall item count. Deepfires has more weapons due to mandates, while Guardeddeeps has both no-mandate duke and king. Deepfires also has more metal bars, due to me being greedy and the goblins bringing breastplates in that world.
The bigger rooms are reflected in the higher values for architecture and displayed wealth, Guardeddeeps has bigger rooms and better burial arrangements. It also has greater variety in food and booze despite much lower values there.
I also never got to building a lot of the stuff I wanted to and spent a lot of time taming/hunting cavern animals and fighting goblins, so wealth didn't really grow much at all in Guardeddeeps in the last decade. Apparently I procrastinate doing stuff in DF, I always wanted to start carving out some huge 3-dimensional halls, "next year". ;)

Both forts are in 34.07, so no tracks/minecarts/wheelbarrows. Here are the numbers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:15:05 pm by XXSockXX »
Pages: [1] 2