Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adventures Keep Their Maps.  (Read 1783 times)

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
Adventures Keep Their Maps.
« on: December 22, 2012, 05:04:23 pm »

Recentley I Retired and then Re-Activated an adventurer in 0.31.25 (If this has since been changed, just speak up.). He had practically made himself a World Map, a small world mind you, and had only a few spots left to fill in. To get to these, I had to drop my companions. When I reactivated him... The map was gone! What I'm suggesting is this: when you retire an adventurer, he does not throw his map out. Did Columbus throw his map out when he got back from his 1492 trip? No! In fact, all of civilization benefited. This should happen in DF too. The home civ gets the full map, other civ's one took missions from get parts as well. Sleeping I doubt counts. So, What do you think?
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures Keep Their Maps.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 05:46:29 pm »

Adventurers don't really act as part of the world yet, in part because the world doesn't act.

I suspect you may have had an outsider; non-outsider adventurers start with knowing all their civ knows IIRC. Of course, outsiders aren't a member of any civilization, and so don't know much.

Of course, if it was the same adventurer, it's probably some of that data that gets tossed out when you end a game, possibly for reasons of not taking up absurd amounts of space.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 06:26:19 pm »

Adventurers don't really act as part of the world yet, in part because the world doesn't act.

I suspect you may have had an outsider; non-outsider adventurers start with knowing all their civ knows IIRC. Of course, outsiders aren't a member of any civilization, and so don't know much.

Of course, if it was the same adventurer, it's probably some of that data that gets tossed out when you end a game, possibly for reasons of not taking up absurd amounts of space.

No, he is a member of the civ. And I can understand throwing it out if he dies- or at least what he had seen since the last time he talked to someone. But if you retire alive... Not so much.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:57:03 pm »

In that case,
it's probably some of that data that gets tossed out when you end a game, possibly for reasons of not taking up absurd amounts of space.
Unless your adventurer sold the maps to pay for food, lodging, and his/her vices of choice.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:02:23 pm »

In that case,
it's probably some of that data that gets tossed out when you end a game, possibly for reasons of not taking up absurd amounts of space.
Unless your adventurer sold the maps to pay for food, lodging, and his/her vices of choice.
He or she would still keep a copy more then likely. You can copy maps after all.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:26:49 pm »

In that case,
He or she would still keep a copy more then likely. You can copy maps after all.
Perhaps I should have added a postscript stating, "Bazinga?"
Sig

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:41:17 pm »

In that case,
Perhaps I should have added a postscript stating, "Bazinga?"
Please don't. Hate that show.

Why is it just us in this thread anyway? Should be at least a couple more people here by now from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:43:08 pm by Paaaad »
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »

Meh. It varies from suggestion to suggestion.
Sig

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 01:34:55 pm »

I don't play adventure mode but this is probably it.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 06:08:16 pm »

Also I've heard that your characters skills play a role here, if you created a character with very bad memory, he will forget mapped areas more easily. With that said, retiring and reloading your adventurer may just clear all mapped areas to save space, as others have pointed out.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 06:25:49 pm »

Buying maps would be very nice. Also, why do you object to the big bang theory? It's worth it for the theme song surely.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 08:37:48 pm »

I'm guessing that some people just don't like popular things.
Let me show you:

Minecraft.
Sig

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 08:46:47 pm »

Hard drive space isn't at a premium. So clearing mapped areas to save space isn't worthwhile. However, storing saved maps for every retired adventurer does take some dedicated code to make it work, which Toady apparently didn't bother with it.

It's a good suggestion.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 10:08:19 pm »

Hard drive space isn't at a premium. So clearing mapped areas to save space isn't worthwhile. However, storing saved maps for every retired adventurer does take some dedicated code to make it work, which Toady apparently didn't bother with it.

It's a good suggestion.
I'm not very familiar with Adventure mode but any map saved would probably be saved as a picture. A well traveled adventurer may make an image at about 2.5 - 3 kb. And if you have about 10 adventurers retired that can be 30 kb. That's not actually to bad from a taking up space point of view but when you think about a bunch of unused pointers in the code taking up memory in an already processor intense game it gets a bit more worrying. With how dwarf fortress saves it's worlds it might be able to get away with just saving what notable areas have been discovered instead of saving an image but that still doesn't get rid of the idea of unused pointers in the code.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 03:15:32 am »

Why not update the civilization's map when the adventurer retires?

Then future adventurers can reference it, and only one copy ever needs to be saved.
Pages: [1] 2