Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Great Dwarven Plains  (Read 753 times)

sgtmook

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Self proclaimed !!Scientist!!
    • View Profile
The Great Dwarven Plains
« on: December 21, 2012, 01:06:48 am »

At one point I modded humans as a playable civ, and had quite a bit of fun with above ground, human forts. The rules are pretty self explanatory, use wood mainly for construction, and all permanent structures must be above ground.

Later, humans became boring, and I reverted back to playing dwarves. However, I just can't seem to get rid of my above ground habits.

Thus was born the fortress of the Great Dwarven Plain.

What it is is basically an above ground styled fort built in a cavern. All the rules for above ground construction apply, except that stone blocks are obviously the main material for building. All farms must still be "outdoors", and all bedrooms, dining halls, workshops, etc must be "indoors" (surrounded in all directions by walls and ceiling). There must also be at least one ramp into the layer of cavern you inhabit to allow caravans.

Also, after the first year, ALL above ground buildings must be deconstructed/abandoned.

The main difficulty would be invading and holding the cavern in the beginning, and customarily all my starting 7 has some degree of military skills.

To help this play style, the world gen is generally set to only have one layer of caverns, and I use reveal in the beginning of the embark to find a suitable location.

It is hard sometimes, especially when you run into blind cave ogres and crocodiles in the first 2 months or so.

It is also fun as hell.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Dwarven Plains
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 01:38:26 am »

I just can't seem to get rid of my above ground habits.

Above ground is cool. When I tried it first time, I almost every time play an above-ground fort.
To increase fun I allowed myself to make quarries, but only outside the fort. And I plan to dig a straight way to the cavern layers allowing fb's and nasty creatyres to wander on the surface.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Dwarven Plains
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 11:50:06 pm »

Sounds fun. I tried something like this once when I really wanted to make dwarven cheese and was too impatient to get a proper fort started first.