Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36

Author Topic: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.  (Read 65585 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.
« Reply #210 on: December 30, 2012, 01:00:51 am »

Look the distinction between power generation and reaction mass is very important, okay?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 30, 2012, 01:13:34 am »

Thought I would share some reading material for you guys.
NASA wants to capture an asteroid For study

Now, at first this looks like it has very little to do with a colony on Mars, but this would actually be the first step towards a colony.
Highlights of the report include capturing a sufficiently large enough asteroid, where they would then tow it to the moon's orbit. All at the slim cost of ~$3 billion and 10-15 years
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 30, 2012, 01:16:12 am »

They've been interested in it for quite a while, here's something from 1998 although the idea is much older then that: http://www.nss.org/settlement/asteroids/sonter.html
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2012, 01:40:53 am »

1 advantage to the rotating space station is that it can move from place to place

not enough energy -- go closer to the sun. 
Not enough matter go closer to sources of matter.

And in the long run it may be easier to smash apart planets rather than mine them.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2012, 01:55:10 am »

That's thinking rather far ahead indeed.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 30, 2012, 05:31:08 am »

In space, recycling pannels is rather hard though. First of all, micrometeroids punch holes into them, meaning that that matter is nonrecoverable. Secondly, recycling solar pannels is rather energy expensive. even nowadays solar pannels don't pay for their costs in several places. While the energy production in space is higher, the lifetime is usually halved. If you plan to add recycling (which is a hard and energy hungry process), I doubt you'd come out with an energy profit.

Now, at first this looks like it has very little to do with a colony on Mars, but this would actually be the first step towards a colony.
Highlights of the report include capturing a sufficiently large enough asteroid, where they would then tow it to the moon's orbit. All at the slim cost of ~$3 billion and 10-15 years
Did you apply the pi rule already, or are these the official estimations?

vadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 30, 2012, 05:37:38 am »

In space, recycling pannels is rather hard though. First of all, micrometeroids punch holes into them, meaning that that matter is nonrecoverable. Secondly, recycling solar pannels is rather energy expensive. even nowadays solar pannels don't pay for their costs in several places. While the energy production in space is higher, the lifetime is usually halved. If you plan to add recycling (which is a hard and energy hungry process), I doubt you'd come out with an energy profit.

Did you apply the pi rule already, or are these the official estimations?
6.5 x;s as much near mercury

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 30, 2012, 05:54:09 am »

Those numbers don't incorporate transmission and cooling losses though. Also, we're going to Mars, not mercury.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 30, 2012, 08:37:28 am »

the station can be anywhere it wants.

on Mars it would be about 44% of that on earth according to the mars colionization article in wiki

Sounds more or less right to me.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 30, 2012, 08:42:18 am »

Those numbers don't incorporate transmission and cooling losses though. Also, we're going to Mars, not mercury.
This is why I love Bay12. Someone posts an official NASA report with diagrams involving space rocketry and advanced physics, and someone raises their hand in the crowd and goes "WE CAN DO IT BETTER."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 30, 2012, 09:41:30 am »

the station can be anywhere it wants.

on Mars it would be about 44% of that on earth according to the mars colionization article in wiki

Sounds more or less right to me.
That's ground level though. I'm not so sure about orbital effeciency. Probably a bit higher.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2012, 11:40:11 am »

Wouldn't it be easier to smelt the ores on Luna before launching them, or better--not launch them at all?
Because rail catapults DONT USE FUEL.  I explain shit to you and then it sails right through your head without interacting with the stuff in the middle.
Railguns do use energy, though. And energy isn't free. Oh, I'm sorry, ENERGY ISN'T FREE.
FUEL freaking fuel.  Propellant.  Reaction mass.  Fucking heavy ass shit that you have to launch into space and increases your costs exponentially.
Energy costs do not invoke exponential cost the longer you use them.  If I power 1 launch a day for 1 day or for 100 days it's all the same in energy costs.  But if I'm using fuel then the second is prohibitively expensive.
This isn't brain surgery, man.
No, but two things.
1. 100 launches use 100 times the fuel and 100 times the power of 1 launch. It's only if you're launching 100 times the mass that it gets exponential (because you need to lift the fuel).
2. I wasn't arguing that railguns aren't superior to rockets for certain things, just that they aren't as free as you seemed to believe.

1 advantage to the rotating space station is that it can move from place to place

Not a big advantage over planetary bases, which have craptons of resources and nice Langrange points which require minimal adjustment. Put some solar panels out there for Mars, beam the power back, bam! Power crisis solved.
It's an advantage, though.

And in the long run it may be easier to smash apart planets rather than mine them.
I highly doubt this. If nothing else, the dense, ore-rich rocks would presumably sink towards the middle of the cloud of rocks. Besides, the planet would start to reform pretty fast...

This is why I love Bay12. Someone posts an official NASA report with diagrams involving space rocketry and advanced physics, and someone raises their hand in the crowd and goes "WE CAN DO IT BETTER."
That's why, even with the inevitable magma floods and other global catastrophes, replacing the current world leaders with Bay12ers could only better the world.
That and because the current leaders aren't very good.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 30, 2012, 11:46:50 am »

Not a big advantage over planetary bases, which have craptons of resources and nice Langrange points which require minimal adjustment. Put some solar panels out there for Mars, beam the power back, bam! Power crisis solved.
Beaming back power doesn't work all the time. You'd need to set up relays for when the base is on the other side of the planet. (Because planets rotate around their axis, while the Lagrange point stays where it is.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 30, 2012, 02:10:10 pm »

Not a big advantage over planetary bases, which have craptons of resources and nice Lagrange points which require minimal adjustment. Put some solar panels out there for Mars, beam the power back, bam! Power crisis solved.
Beaming back power doesn't work all the time. You'd need to set up relays for when the base is on the other side of the planet. (Because planets rotate around their axis, while the Lagrange point stays where it is.)
Simple. Geosynchronous satellites, beaming power to each other and the surface; or additional power stations at other Lagrange points; or multiple bases receiving power. Okay, none of those are cheap, per se, but they're effective.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 30, 2012, 02:43:10 pm »

Effeciency losses do add up though. Also, I made some calculations once for orbital power plants, and they don't ever come out energy efficient. Not with current technology. You'd need hyperefficient pannels (60% or more), hyperlightweight pannels, and hyperefficient transmission. Remember that the transmission calls for 1km diameter recievers.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36