Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What bearing should Litast walk 500 miles and then 500 more?

North
East
South
West

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Blind Journey  (Read 7502 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: A Blind Journey
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 08:39:18 am »

Blindly fighting against the boogie of the night is going to be a world of pain.

Good luck, hoping for a good story here. :-)
I hope to never see one of those things ever. At least not for a long while.

To understand why this update took a while longer, I decided to keep playing through until I was certain Litast was either going to die or survive.

It was a long night.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That doesn't even include the things that put this over the 40k post limit. Imagine how dreadful reading that would be; now imagine that, whilst sensory deprived and having to constantly stay alert for extended periods of time...

Blind adventurer = no fun for the player.  Make it fun for us viewing!
D:

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 11:17:59 am »

Well technically you won't experience one of such until quite a while of blind stumbling and tumbling around.

And then the cackling comes and you do the boogie.
and then you die

oh_no

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 08:59:02 pm »

and then you die
Every adventure ever. Ever.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 09:00:38 pm »

Dingos must be the new dire wolves of DF2012.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 11:35:36 pm »

God this is so difficult. 

What are Litast's skills? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 11:18:46 pm »

Awaiting an update.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 09:56:29 am »

I've just realised what this thread reminds me of.

Litast, whatever you do, never sidestep to your left.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 07:17:47 pm »

20th of Limestone 123

Full of virility and strifes Litast crept through the bountiful jungle of washing, undisturbed by naught else but the sound of nature and her fleeting rivers.
With these sounds new imaginations and scenes unfolded, of beauties and perils past given new mysticism. The irony for Litast was felt; felt on his eyes with his heavy hands.
His loss gave him new mastery of his surroundings; his perceptions were now entirely of his own. The gaps left by his eyes were replaced by the thoughts in his mind.
After the night's ordeal Litast's face was like a chiseled sculpture that had captured the burning in his spirit, never changing, partially winced in a strong grimace yet ever focused on the way forward through sheer determination. As if the jungle felt the sorrow from this small figure, brief respite rewarded him with a long journey free of nuisances; the Jungles of Washing living up to its name and cleansing him of blood, dust and weariness. His blooded raw umber eyes covered in a headscarf, his left hand's thumb broken and one of his own toes blistered and useless, Litast learned of another perception: Pain. And how he endured it; not even the innumerable swirling rivers which wound their way through his path could stop him.
These too, were overcome. And in good time too! Never cross a blind Dwarf with a purpose; their size belies their strength and tenacity. Litast walked on with a devotion that would have been lacking in many men his equal. If any villagers had followed Litast they were long since lost or tired somewhere in the green sea.
With dusk commencing to end the 20th, sleeping at the foot of a mountain, this Litast was content.
Advancing through the simmering brooks by the setting sun, Litast dreamed of Dawn's warm embrace.

21st of Limestone 123
The mountains were serene, so silent that not a single falling leaf could escape earshot.
So Litast found himself at peace with his thoughts.
He had found the Severe Wall, following the upward slopes hoping for a way ahead. His possessions carried greater sentimental weight. He was hungry. He was thirsty. He was still sane. He was also running out of provisions.
One last reindeer spleen cake, one last swig of water in his flask.
Crouching over a boulder, poised as if he were ready to dine on the rock, Litast rapped his knuckles on the rough surface.

Dolomite. This stone was familiar to the Dwarf, the mountain; an old friend. A retreat from the outside world, mountains have been the world to Dwarves and Dwarves have grown to know and exploit this.

But how can you befriend hunger?

He pulled off his socks and his shoes, too long had they been denied their share of breath.
The mountain's rocky features betrayed a smooth face, covered in grasses green, white and yellow, swaying in thickets through the rising sun, creased with crevices furrowed in frowns and scrutinizing gazes. Step by step, his feet led him on through feels in the dark.

The slopes gave Litast something to focus on. Climbing came easy to him, short legs and good balance - it's what a long beard's for!
And by the ever diminishing silence - the quiet uproar of something brilliant reached Litast.

He had inadvertently stepped onto a brook. A shallow stream of water pooling around his parched, dusty feet. Litast cried, drinking his fill in the brook's tears.
The mountain had been kind on Litast; Litast made sure to not deny his host's hospitality.

Letting the brook carry him downstream, Litast found time to relax. The sun was high and the time was good. "If only reflection could be eternal."

The mortal needs of Dwarves and Men will always catch us when we least want them. Litast was down to a single scrap of reindeer spleen and didn't plan on eating it in the middle of a mountain with no known limit to how far it extended. Starvation would have to force him before he lost his lifeline.

Emerging like a great clumsy mountain bear Litast walked through saplings and trees alike, fueled by hunger. It took the fall into a murky pool and the setting sun to win over his stomach.

The plain security of the mountain would be a better way to spend the night than a hunt in the dark.

Nursing his broken digits Litast sat beneath his steel shield. Hot days made for cold nights. He knew what he expected to do on the morrow, and ate his last morsel. There would be no turning back, he had gone too far.

22nd of Limestone 123

Friend or enemy, Litast was going to find food from the hamlet beyond the river, or blood would flow. Maybe  both. Food and blood in one day.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 01:55:08 am »

I find it amazing that you're not dead.  How high is the penalty that blindness gives to your actions in combat? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 07:25:17 pm »

22nd of Limestone 123

Litast crawled himself through the streets, leaning on spear. Hitting an impassable boundary, he traced his way around.
Almost certainly he knew them to be the geometries of a woman's house, rectangular in rough perfection.

Noisy children bustled around at this haggard home intruder, who supplicated at the handsome feet of wise Busbel Rootcopper, renown for her great stories.

The children spoke up and were silenced with threats of bogeymen, the strange arrival was speaking.

Brightdawns sat there, receiving true human hospitality: Fisherberries and rat weed, washed down with water fresh from the stream!

Today would be peaceful and full of rest. The good bearded fellow spoke little more as he retreated to a wall and slept, beneath a large, oversized cloak.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 10:08:18 am »

Awesome.  I was sad it went away.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 2 [3]