Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54871 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2013, 12:20:03 am »

I see all these complaints about the Goblin-king's 'tumor beard'. Does no one know what a goiter is?

I more or less liked The Hobbit, but not as much as I enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:22:11 am by Techhead »
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2013, 12:33:37 am »

I personally find this depiction of the Great Goblin awesome. The unique, awesomely disgusting design, the eloquence (as contrast to the harsh, guttural orcs), all combined with a healthy serving of glorious ham.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 30, 2013, 02:48:11 am »

I also liked how they did the Goblin King.

I think my main complaint was an inconsistent tone. It went from kind of goofy to LotR serious. I think a middle path would have been better. I did enjoy it but found it a bit over the top in places I suppose.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 30, 2013, 02:51:05 am »

I think that's partially a problem with the source material. LotR came after The Hobbit, and it ended up changing the context of some things, the Ring most of all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 30, 2013, 03:09:56 am »

The context does change things but they even made some of the action more LotR-like and they are apparently going to show Gandalf vs. the Necromancer which promises to be very LotR. I think they should have toned the humour down some if they're set on making it epic.

Again I'm complaining but overall I enjoyed it. I think I'm just enamoured with the book. I had trouble learning to read and it was one of the first proper books I read alone.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 30, 2013, 10:39:54 am »

Actually, I think an Epic Necromancer Battle would make a fine 2nd movie. It'd stand as a contrast to the faux-epic of the first movie. Since they seem deadset on having Elves be All Serious All The Time (unfortunately), it'd be a good place to cram in Mirkwood (and since the Necromancer is being driven out of the place at about the same time, it'd be easy to transition between groups), since that and Beorn's introduction needs to be taken care of before the final installment (but they'd probably have time to get everything else into the last one, and it'd be a convenient place to pick up). The final movie, then, could serve as a balance between the two previous films, depicting the closest-to-epic the book ever gets.

EDIT: Oh, wait, Beorn is before Mirkwood. Even better - the 2nd can end with a shot of the Mountain coming into view.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:00:43 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 30, 2013, 11:22:12 am »

Well, the titles for the other two have already been decided: "The Desolation of Smaug" and "There and Back Again". Due to that, I reckon that the second one will follow the dwarves and end with the death of smaug, with the third one being gandalf's antics with the necormancer, the battle of the five armies, and the ending.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 30, 2013, 12:00:50 pm »

I liked the goblins. Really energetic counterpoint to the orcs grim brutality. Plus the Great Goblin's last scene was awesome.
The word goblin is just the English translation of what the hobbits call orc.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 30, 2013, 01:12:15 pm »

If goblins are orcs, how can Uruk-Hai be a cross-breed of those two?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 30, 2013, 01:24:00 pm »

Um, they aren't? Uruk-hai are a stronger, bigger and more light-resistant breed of orc. Saruman might have made some experiments with humans to create his army, but that's not entirely clear.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 30, 2013, 01:24:33 pm »

I thought Uruks were cross-breeds of men and orcs?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 30, 2013, 01:44:39 pm »

I thought Uruks were cross-breeds of men and orcs?

It was either that or something about crossing Mordorian orcs with the larger mountain goblins.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 30, 2013, 02:00:02 pm »

Well, in the LotR (movie) it is said that Uruk-Hai = Goblin + Orc + Manflesh.

But according to the wiki, Uruk-Hai (=Orc-Folk) are just larger orcs, and in the case of Isengards* Uruks, also standing upright and being able to withstand the sun. Goblins are just weaker orcs, but more adapted to the darkness.

* Treebeard: "It is a mark of evil things that came in the Great Darkness that they cannot abide the Sun; but Saruman's Orcs can endure it, even if they hate it. I wonder what he has done? Are they Men he has ruined, or has he blended the races of Orcs and Men? That would be a black evil!"

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 30, 2013, 03:15:46 pm »

It's worth noting that Tolkien himself often revised the sources of the evil races.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2013, 03:25:45 pm »

Also, I know I can't be the only one who noticed the similarities between Goblintown and Blighttown.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40