Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54933 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2013, 01:14:13 am »

To be fair, it is less rude in the book, because they don't actually do anything that's going to damage his dishware. Of course, I can see why Jackson would have gone for the more visually impressive manner to go along with the song, and in the end the outcome is really the same.

It was in good humor, but on the other hand, it was still a bit rude.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2013, 01:24:15 am »

There was also the whole taking his pantry for themselves without asking, and the belching and being raucous thing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2013, 01:30:26 am »

There was also the whole taking his pantry for themselves without asking, and the belching and being raucous thing.

I always interpreted that whole situation as being the result of misunderstanding intentionally fostered by Gandalf more so than dwarven rudeness.  Not that it didn't play a part.  They expected Bilbo to be prepared to host them, but he wasn't.  They expected Bilbo to be a seasoned adventurer, but he obviously wasn't.  I think the dwarves were just making fun of an awkward and disappointing situation, in their own dwarvenly way.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2013, 02:01:00 am »

I saw the situation as a cultural clash. Dwarves are greedy in all things, not just gold, while Hobbits enjoy quiet country living. Putting the two together is certain to lead to problems.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2013, 02:09:03 am »

Yeah, sort of.  I wouldn't say that Tolkien's dwarves are necessarily greedy to the point that they can't be considerate.  I think it would be understandable for anybody to act somewhat like the dwarves did there.

"So... Gandalf had us travel all the way out here... to take on this fucking deadweight?  Not only do we have to take back our home from a fucking dragon, but we have to babysit this guy in the process?  Gandalf hasn't even told him what he's signed up for!  Fuck this shit.  I'm getting drunk.  Throwing us a party is probably the most useful thing this plushy homebody is ever going to do for us.  We are so fucked."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2013, 01:19:45 am »

Watched it today.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2013, 02:24:02 am »

Yeah, sort of.  I wouldn't say that Tolkien's dwarves are necessarily greedy to the point that they can't be considerate.  I think it would be understandable for anybody to act somewhat like the dwarves did there.

IIRC dwarves were actually noted to be polite unless slighted, and then, well, you can go fuck yourself. I believe one of his big points for them was that they set a VERY high value on their honour and capabilities, and that is what is clashing with the rather more understanding and relaxed hobbit.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2013, 02:47:08 am »

I loved The Hobbit as a book and in fact it is the only book set in the Middle-earth universe that I enjoy. I even had the The Hobbit PC game quite some years ago. However I don't think I am going to see the movie in theaters if it is still in there. I will wait until it either comes out on DVD or some channel gets the rights to air the movie. I can't stand movie theaters, as they are too crowded and not entirely defensible.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2013, 03:22:45 am »

I can't stand movie theaters, as they are too crowded and not entirely defensible.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2013, 03:25:13 am »

I can't stand movie theaters, as they are too crowded and not entirely defensible.

Please don't make light of my issues with anxiety and stress that increases the more I am around people in general. It's not nice.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2013, 03:34:04 am »

It is also totally inaccurate. Social skills are a must-have in a zombie apocalypse, much to the dismay of many apocalypse hopefuls who realize that. You can't control a band of survivors without social skill.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2013, 03:39:28 am »

It is also totally inaccurate. Social skills are a must-have in a zombie apocalypse, much to the dismay of many apocalypse hopefuls who realize that. You can't control a band of survivors without social skill.

Guns/drugs.

Problem solved. But not really.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2013, 05:53:50 am »

Yeah, convincing people to go with you and help  you out is probably one of the best skills. You can either know how to hide from bike-riding bandits, or be their leaders.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2013, 08:29:42 am »

Saw it tonight, mind blown.

By "Pacific Rim" trailer... was that GladOS's voice???
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2013, 08:38:00 am »

Saw it tonight, mind blown.

By "Pacific Rim" trailer... was that GladOS's voice???
Yes. Yes it was. In my headcanon, it is actually GLaDOS.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40