Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: In Progress: DF Cultists!  (Read 3907 times)

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: DF Cultists!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 04:14:53 pm »

I think I would take a planar mage.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »

I hope the thread takes off, seems like a good concept

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 07:51:21 pm »

I apologise for the slow pace so far, if you check on the first post every once in a while you will notice that i'm gradually adding things. I really want to make a detailed and compelling world for you guys, and while DF gives me several novels full of information i have to sift through at least some of it, the civilisations in particular (one of the more important parts) are taking more time thanm i anticipated to work through.
I'm really impressed on how useful DF World gen can be for a narrarative tool, a lot of the stories that are merging all on their own are actually pretty compelling, and it doesn't take much effort on my part to make it all mesh together.
I'm really looking forward to this guys.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: In Progress: DF Cultists!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 06:02:34 pm »

Progress Update:

I've mapped out Which Forgotten Beasts are known and which are unknown, and am working on which ones are worshipped and which ones may just be talked about in musty tomes. Essentially, if a goblin comes upon a forgotten beast that means that goblin brings back worship of the forgotten beast to its people. If a creature of another kind comes upon a forgotten beast then the results vary, if the individual was corrupt in some way (exhibited irrational hatred of a people, sought out eternal life or contracted vampirism for instance) then that individual breings back worship of the forgotten beast as well, if they are generally upstanding then they merely record the existence of the creature but do not make it common knowledge. Keep in mind that worship of forgotten beasts provides access to specific dark magic.

I'm also working on Pantheons and continuing my work with civilization, it may take a couple days for the game to be ready but i do not think anyone will be disappointed.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 06:54:02 pm »

Sounds cool, im going to go for a warrior bard!
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 09:21:42 pm »

Dwarf Martial Trancer. Similar to a Martial Artist, but they tap into their inner power of being a dwarf to Martial Trance AT WILL. Basically a barbarian, but cooler-sounding and more heavily armed. And dorfier.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 09:46:44 pm »

It is only fair to demonstrate the horrors that may be wreaked upon your character creation rules...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 03:29:58 am »

It is only fair to demonstrate the horrors that may be wreaked upon your character creation rules...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Okay, here's how i interpret this character: An aspiring mystic (for such a character would have only introductory knowledge of any of those skills of magic, without much of any practical expierience) who's had expierience with batmen and is passable in a few other mundane skills.
The character would be tough and physically fit but clumsy (which would kill your ability to shoot that crossbow). This character would be fairly observant and self-aware, but also poorly educated and unable to read (this would harm your ability to seek magical teaching from anyone not a backwater shaman or mystic, or to even look up magic in musty tomes, you could seek instruction from elemental and nature spirits however). The character would have a dominating personality with strong leadership ability, but would not be genuinely likable.

I'm not sure if you thought of this character as OP, it isn't, it's playable but with flaws.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:31:42 am by Mlamlah »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 03:35:17 am »

Progress Update:
So unfortunatly i havn't had much time at all today to work on it, but i will work on it some now. Including Forgotten Beasts as a worshipable entity that can be drawn power from is complicated, and a bit of a time suck because of how much detail and thought i insist on putting into it, this has gotten in the way of me updating civilisations, but i should post at least one or two more civilisations tonight, and at least one full pantheon of gods to boot. The reason character creation hasn't been rounded out yet is because i'm so busy with civilisations, and the civilisations and pantheons and such are slightly important to character generation too.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 08:54:44 pm »

I know this is taking too long, but i've had some personal stuff to deal with that has taken up most of my time and concentration, not to mention this is a lot of work. Don't worry though, i am working on it, it will be done, and it will be awesome. One could say i'm taking a a page from Toady One's book and not settling with half done, but instead am putting as much detail as i can.
Progress should be at a faster clip from here on in.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »

Exams???
They can be difficult, but satisfying
Again, this section of the forum does alot of waiting

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 03:08:51 am »

Naw, some other much more personal stuff.
I'm not fully sure how to handle kobold civs. I've been ignoring them for now but there isn't very much criteria that may differentiate them from other kobold tribes. Titans and megabeasts in the immediate area will have a cultural effect, but except for that i don't have much to work with. They don't tame animals, they don't go to war, all they do is steal stuff, and there are too many of them to society build based on individual action. Anyone have ideas?

So far i've just ignored them in world building, and i can live with keeping them irrelevant cookie cutter tribes, but it would be nice to differentiate them at least a little.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:10:47 am by Mlamlah »

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 05:11:25 am »

Keep some of the ones with titans nearby, but reduce numbers?

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »

Reduce numbers of what, the kobolds?
Mostly i just want some way to differentiate different kobold tribes from one another societally.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 08:09:35 pm »

Hmm, Skip every few kobold camps if there are too many in an area?
Pages: 1 [2] 3