Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Humans : obsolete  (Read 14299 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Humans : obsolete
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »

I can easily see where this will end up.  We will eventually get to the point that global corparations create augmented super-soldiers as 'Guards', and hostile takeovers will take on a whole new meaning. 
On the other hand if I can manage to get a job at DARPA I will get to create super-soldiers. 

But on the serious side, this would be very concerning for those of us who AREN"T wealthy enough to afford a multi-million dollar augmentation progress.  And what would happen if some wackjob gets a hold of an EMP bomb? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 05:01:12 pm »

Bear in mind that we essentially *are* minds in a robotic shell. It's just that the shell is organic.

As for the mind, think of it this way: DOOM is a piece of code. The structure of that code was determined and constrained in part by the hardware it was written for (x86 PCs with limited RAM and processor speed). It's since been ported to God knows how many different platforms. In some cases, minimal modification was needed. In others, extensive rewrites were required. The end result though is outwardly the same.

Consciousness is essentially a piece of neural code that develops over time. It's determined and constrained in part by the physical structure of the brain. But there's no reason to think it couldn't operate on a different "platform". The trick is in learning enough about how the code operates to be able to port it.

And unfortunately, those sort of advances are several decades, if not centuries away.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 05:01:46 pm »

Dang, I tried to find a longish-quote from Transmetropolitan about this, but couldn't find it.

The gist of it is:
Are you still human if you lose a leg?  Of course!
Are you still human if you replace the leg with a prosthetic?  Of course!
Are you still human if you replace all your limbs with prosthetics?  Of course!

So at what point in replacing pieces of yourself are you no longer human?  The answer is never.  You can replace every single part and still be human.
Shit just got ship of theseus up in this joint.

Go go metaphysics derail!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 05:02:48 pm »

Pfff. Call me when the human species really is going extinct. I'll bring snacks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 05:03:38 pm »

And unfortunately, those sort of advances are several decades, if not centuries away.
Fortunately, our other advances could allow us living to day to persist for decades, if not centuries.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 05:05:01 pm »

Dang, I tried to find a longish-quote from Transmetropolitan about this, but couldn't find it.

The gist of it is:
Are you still human if you lose a leg?  Of course!
Are you still human if you replace the leg with a prosthetic?  Of course!
Are you still human if you replace all your limbs with prosthetics?  Of course!

So at what point in replacing pieces of yourself are you no longer human?  The answer is never.  You can replace every single part and still be human.
Shit just got ship of theseus up in this joint.

Go go metaphysics derail!

Wasn't a derail.  The point is that upgrading humans doesn't make us go extinct.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 05:05:09 pm »

But what is the mind?  As far as I can tell, the mind is entirely derived from the structure and function of the brain.  The only way to transfer it would be to mimic its structure in a new format.  That's not really transferring, that's copying.

Aside from actually pulling out your brain and putting it in a robot body, I don't see how you can have a continuous chain of existence.

There are mental illnesses that don't show any notably corresponding defect in the physical structure of the brain. In any case, the debate over whether psychology should focus on the brain or the mind is hardly a settled one. The mind is more than the physical structure of the brain, though the brain does change based on mental activity. I highly doubt that a cloned brain would have a mind identical to the original.

But yes, transferring the brain to an inorganic body would be the logical step, though of course the issue of discontinuity is the same with an entirely robotic body as it was with the teleportation discussion a while back. If possible, the ideal would probably be to maintain the mind operating simultaneously from the organic brain and artificial one, and then disconnecting the organic one. That's largely hypothetical, though. We don't really have the sort of information density needed to contain a human mind in electronics anywhere near as small as a human brain, IIRC.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 05:05:47 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 05:06:18 pm »

I want to be all robotic and stuff, but only if I get to keep my penis and also if drugs still work on me.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 05:09:08 pm »

Why would you need drugs?  Just hook up some neuro stimulizer thing. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 05:10:22 pm »

I will not be getting a synthetic overhaul, with some exceptions.  My parts work fine, and in fact I have superior parts (most of them)  I was blessed with genes that somehow seem better than either parent, and more resemble distant family than them.

I would get ocular implants, and hearing upgrade.  I've always wanted a chip that lets me communicate wirelessly (or at least recieve data).  Mostly sensory stuff, health augmentations.  You might say I'm attached to my functional meaty parts.

New knees, though, and I'm not above retractable claws of some kind.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 05:13:40 pm »

Well, as long as they don't fuck with my brain, i'm probably going to be fine. Your brain is where "you" are stored, so IN THEORY, you'd still be human if you were a working brain in a jar. In practice, however, i'd much prefer keeping the body i'm born with, it's been tuned by evolution over millions of years. Not to mention that right now, prosthetics aren't even remotely as dextrous as human limbs, especially hands. Potentially stronger and faster, yes, but it'll be quite a while before they can achieve the same level of dexterity. Until that happens, i'll be fine with these limbs, because my daily life requires far more fine motor skills than brute strength.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 05:14:17 pm »

Yet another reason I'm thankful for EMP's.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 05:14:45 pm »

Why would you need drugs?  Just hook up some neuro stimulizer thing.

I know what I like and I like what I know.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 05:15:00 pm »

Yet another reason I'm thankful for EMP's.

Murderous much?

Just kidding, I'll have a remote backup.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18