Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To adventure!!!  (Read 1197 times)

ShadowXV5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
To adventure!!!
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »

He wakes up in a small village. Very small... No one in sight but small wooden huts. He opens the door to one of them, eager to begin his quest to glory. Horror. 15 villagers are all scared to death of what would happen to their poor lives in sight of the newcomer.

"Do not fear! I bring justice!", the adventurer assures.

At ease, one of the villager comes with disbelief in his eyes.

"Thanks to the mighty, finally, someone."
"We are in great danger"
"A vile fiend has slayed 7 of our men. It is said that only steel will injure the beast. Other weapons wouldn't penetrate his skin."

The adventurer, worried about his copper weapon answers:
"Any other monster that I could take care of in the same run?"

"Yes! A vile fiend has slayed 11 of our men. It is said that only bismuth copper will injure the beast."

The adventurer, worried about his copper weapon answers:
"Any other monster that I could take care of in the same run?"

"Yes! A vampire has slayed 1 thousand seventy seven of our men in his lust for murder!"

*A tear drops from the adventurer terrified eyes.*
"This is going to be a long journey..."

------------------------------------

So tell me guys. What are the mightiest challenges you've encountered on your journey.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:12:40 pm by ShadowXV5 »
Re: To adventure!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 06:39:36 pm »

I made a small world with only 1 human, 1 elf and 1 dwarven civilization each just for adventuring. It had a high number of beasts, and a very high savagry rate.

The human civ looked like it was going to die in world gen, but then suddenly exploded, making sites appear all over (even though I had sites set to "very low). Well, it turns out at the time of the great human expansion, a vampire (who is also somehow a deity) was also appointed as the king. This will come into play later on here.

I start my adventure and go out chucking rocks and swimming while sneaking to raise some easy skills up before going out to fight some banditos for the locals. I tear across the land slaying all who oppose me until I can get a quest from the local authority figures. I am immediately presented with a vampie slaying quest. I start asking around trying to find him. Eventually my search leads me to the capitol, where I am informed that the vampire I am to slay is indeed the king of all the land. I figure it shouldn't be too hard to kill a vampire surrounded by a bunch of guards.

I get in there, and this is when I notice that the guy is not only a vampire, but he's showing up as a freaking GOD. My first thought is, "Oh shit." But not fearing death (since it's inevitable anyway) I accuse him,

"YOU! YOU ARE A SMELLY BLOOD SUCKING PANSY! DRAW YOUR BLADE AND LET US DO BATTLE!" I exclaim as I charge.

30 minutes and several flaming articles of clothing cast off later, I stand (well, not literally as I had lost 1 leg and 1 foot in the battle) victorious.

I am now carrying a bunch of vampire god blood, and wondering if I will just become a vamp if I drink it or if I would become a God.

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:10:29 pm »

I killed 5 dragons in a single lair with a dwarven peasant adventurer
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:21:58 am »

So "deity" means he's really a UNIQUE_DEMON.

If you drink his blood, you will not become a demon, nor a deity. You will probably become a vampire, and you may or may not get some sort of horrifying death syndrome from the whole "demon" part.

DO IT FOR SCIENCE

Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 10:54:56 pm »

So "deity" means he's really a UNIQUE_DEMON.

If you drink his blood, you will not become a demon, nor a deity. You will probably become a vampire, and you may or may not get some sort of horrifying death syndrome from the whole "demon" part.

DO IT FOR SCIENCE

"No that's disgusting."

Er... Okay. It's not disgusting to drink the blood straight off my body or items, but if it's in a waterskin it's too gross.

Yee

• Bay Watcher
  • Invasion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 05:22:50 am »

In one world, the leader of the human civ was a deity (apparently some kind of forgotten beast oder demon). After slaying numerous titans, dragons, rocs and demons I decided to give it a shot and tried to kill him. Not only was it quite difficult to land a hit, but even an adamantine sword simply glanced off most of the time. I then got stabbed through my steel helmet mit a silver carving knife. Oh, he was also able to spit webs. Freaking slade demon...

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:19:12 am »

In one world, the leader of the human civ was a deity (apparently some kind of forgotten beast oder demon). After slaying numerous titans, dragons, rocs and demons I decided to give it a shot and tried to kill him. Not only was it quite difficult to land a hit, but even an adamantine sword simply glanced off most of the time. I then got stabbed through my steel helmet mit a silver carving knife. Oh, he was also able to spit webs. Freaking slade demon...
damn he was a slade demon? no wonder you couldn't do jack to him
I used DFhack to put a dwarf in full slade armor in arena, he was pretty much immune to all slashing and piercing damage, but only blunt damage from a giant could hurt him

Yee

• Bay Watcher
  • Invasion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 11:35:04 am »

I must correct myself. It's "only" a shale demon. Nevertheless virtually immune to slashes from my adamantine sword despite having superdwarven strength. Maybe a nice silver warhammer will do the trick.

Edit: now, I only have to learn hammerdwarf from scratch...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:56:44 am by Yee »

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 01:12:21 pm »

Part of the problem is that demons can be extremely large, and clothing thickness scales in a ridiculous way with creature size.  Therefore, your weapons may not have high enough [PENETRATION_DEPTH] to get through the demon's clothing.

To get around this, you could look to see what he's wearing, and restrict your attacks to any uncovered areas.  If he's wearing a cloak, that covers everything so you are out of luck.

You could also try using very high [PENETRATION_DEPTH] weapons (spears, pikes), but they still may not go deep enough.  I don't think blunt damange will penetrate better than edged damage, but I'm not sure so it's possible using a hammer might work.  Before trying that, I would try getting some really heavy objects (corpses, coffins, etc) and throwing them at him.  The velocity of thrown items is 100 regardless of mass, and damage/armor penetration of projectiles depends on momentum, so throwing heavy objects can do massive damage.  I am again not sure if it will penetrate his clothes or not, but it should be relatively easy to try.  Even if they don't penetrate the armor, I think they might be able to knock him back (unsure?), and if he gets knocked back hard enough he could take a lot of damage.  Very curious to see if you get anything to work (do it for !!SCIENCE!!).

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 05:25:53 pm »

I had traveled through hell naked with only a shield, killing demons with my teeth.

That is what happens when you have not skill caps and reach fighter 200 shield 180.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Yee

• Bay Watcher
  • Invasion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 06:41:16 pm »

Part of the problem is that demons can be extremely large, and clothing thickness scales in a ridiculous way with creature size.  Therefore, your weapons may not have high enough [PENETRATION_DEPTH] to get through the demon's clothing.

To get around this, you could look to see what he's wearing, and restrict your attacks to any uncovered areas.  If he's wearing a cloak, that covers everything so you are out of luck.

You could also try using very high [PENETRATION_DEPTH] weapons (spears, pikes), but they still may not go deep enough.  I don't think blunt damange will penetrate better than edged damage, but I'm not sure so it's possible using a hammer might work.  Before trying that, I would try getting some really heavy objects (corpses, coffins, etc) and throwing them at him.  The velocity of thrown items is 100 regardless of mass, and damage/armor penetration of projectiles depends on momentum, so throwing heavy objects can do massive damage.  I am again not sure if it will penetrate his clothes or not, but it should be relatively easy to try.  Even if they don't penetrate the armor, I think they might be able to knock him back (unsure?), and if he gets knocked back hard enough he could take a lot of damage.  Very curious to see if you get anything to work (do it for !!SCIENCE!!).

He wears only the generic cloth items in size large, large leather trousers and a few vanity items like earrings (left hand) and a large cloth head veil (he certainly is a fancy demon). With a bash from said *silver war hammer* I can fracture his head but as a demon made from inorganic material, he lacks internal organs right? Is it possible to throw stuff and hit him, when he is still non-hostile? I once threw a bunch of weapons at him and nothing happened.

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 07:23:04 pm »

I had traveled through hell naked with only a shield, killing demons with my teeth.

That is what happens when you have not skill caps and reach fighter 200 shield 180.
I thought skills didn't benefit you anymore at legendary+5 and that the maximum useful skill level was legendary+18, which would negate the expert skills of demons?
or does something have a higher innate skill level than demons?

ShadowXV5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 05:38:59 pm »

Thinking about it. It would be kinda awesome to be able to start an adventure as any kind of creature.