Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (Spoilers) Best ways to locate HFS in adventure mode?  (Read 3186 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
(Spoilers) Best ways to locate HFS in adventure mode?
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:25:06 pm »

so I'm in the caverns, trying to find a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From what I can read, you can easily locate them in fortress mode, which is great, but I've already got an elf-venturer and I don't wanna retire her in the caverns just to go find the HFS.. I got lucky and spawned near a cave, too. Didn't have to go searching all everywhere.

I know that you generally find them by jumping into deep pits... but I don't feel like randomly jumping down holes and breaking legs to get where I need to. Is there any sort of reliable way to ID where the HFS-entrance is, in any specific area, or if there is one?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Spoilers) Best ways to locate HFS in adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:10:39 pm »

there isn't really a specific entrance, but the only way to open the circus tent is to find a candy cane spire in the sea of bleeding juice between z-levels 120-ish to 150-ish, and maybe even lower
of course though, you have to do this in fortress mode
I tried finding candy canes for two years just today with a brand new fort that started next to a volcano in a 2x2 embark
I pretty much just gave up cause the z-level I was looking all over, 137 got all flooded out the ass with magma cause the dwarves stopped being careful cause I ran outta food cause I thought I'd find the circus tent faster
I started with 7 miners and a limited supply of food and water, and no seeds
I probably searched 80% of z-level 137 before I gave up, and this was helped by how I don't even know how wide candy cane spires are

does anyone know how to breach the circus tent in just a year?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:39:00 pm »

No see there are 3 ways down, one is an exploit, one is through a spire, and one is through a demonic fortress. Which are a bitch to find.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 03:24:09 am »

You need to get to cavern 3. That means keep following downward passages/jumping into holes until you see a bloodthorn. Then look and look and look.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:29 am »

That's possible to find albeit very very boring and long. Cheatingly adding "flyer" to your adventurer might help you cut a bit of time to get to the fortress, but it's still going to be several hours real-time. Expect your ambushing skill to skyrocket though.
Luckily there's a way to shortcut your way back up: instead of looking for upward passages back to the surface, just go to the nearest settlement (you'll be technically beneatth it, but who cares) and retire then reclaim the adventurer.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 08:23:56 am »

That [SPOILER] which you're seeking is found ALWAYS on the third cavern layer. If you go via natural route (read: spelunking in the caverns and unsure whether you'll find anything), then you're hitting a wall with a mallet, wishing to crack it but only succeeding if you're either lucky, strong-willed or determined.

Hmm.

There are no open ways to get to HFS, though through hardship, you can find the DF.

There are specific areas, but not exact locations on where a Fort is located.

Quote from: That wiki, after THAT SPOILER WARNING
"A [SPOILER] is found once per region tile (thus, it is located in precisely one spot in a 16x16 embark square)"
Which means, in every square on the map, you've got a really small chance of finding that fortress. ^^

There is no best way. Unless you hack, then the saying goes "There is no best legitimate way".

FingO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »

Meh. I actually found one fortress but the demons killed me. Then I cheated my way through the game by running around with a bronze colossus and now I do not find this bloody thing anymore :/
"In Plaguemoments I slew a human over a week." - Em Kisstorments, administrator

"Can Kutsmob Pimplehate save the world?" was a legendary bone-bound book. The written portion consists of a 30 page essay entitled "Can Kutsmob Pimplehate save the world? authored by Kutsmob Pimplehate. It concerns the giving up on being a fishery worker of the goblin necromancer Kutsmob Pimplehate in Bristleseductions in 29. The writing has its moments of cleverness.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 12:23:40 am »

So I was already in the 3rd cavern layer when I posted this, XD. I've just been running around randomly for approximately a while. Killing bugbears was keeping me from dying of boredom. Temporarily. :P

Interestingly, it turns out that the "shit getting stuck in trees" bug hasn't been fixed. I just jumped off a 1 Z-level cliff, and landed on a tree. The game thinks I'm still flying, and won't let me move in any direction. I can't even set the tree on fire. :< maybe DFhack has a solution to this other than savescumming... immolate, perhaps?

edit: yes, immolating the tree I was stuck on via DFhack allowed me to fall the rest of the way properly. But eew.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Yee

• Bay Watcher
  • Invasion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 07:29:30 am »

If you are already using DFHack, try out the reveal command when you are on the 3rd cavern layer. Any underground structure and adamantine should be covered by a black veil while the rest of the cavern will be shown. Adamantine veins are very small in comparison to fortresses, but there are more of them. Wander around until you find a fortress and have fun.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:31:10 am by Yee »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 05:36:34 pm »

Huh. I tried that, found a bunch of black veils but I assumed them to be just bugs with the reveal, since it did that even when I tried "reveal hell" and they were all perfectly square.

In any event, I got ambshed by a Blind Cave Ogre, and lost part of a leg, so now I have to hobble all the way down to the town to teleport out and go find a crutch. Fml. At least I was able to powerlevel off of a fleshball group.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 05:44:18 pm »

Just keep wandering the caverns. It will take a while, and can get quite tedious, but you are theoretically guaranteed to find one eventually if you just keep moving. First you'll have to find two downward passages, since Demonic Fortresses only spawn on the third level. After that, you'll be on the last leg of your adventure and can just wander til you find it. Finding my mysterious structure took about 9 hours of wandering.

MoloMowChow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 03:19:08 am »

I managed to get all the way down to the third cavern and find a curious structure. The structure was devoid of any undead, I assume this was by chance. But when I pulled the adamantine weapon out, the glowing door opened but I haven't seen a demon after going down a dozen levels. I did see a webbing of some sort though, and I haven't gone all the way down yet. I can post screenshots later.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 05:43:02 am »

Yep. The initial demon rush doesn't occur in adventure mode unfortunately.

Yee

• Bay Watcher
  • Invasion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 07:49:29 am »

After I pulled the sword out, there were maybe up to 3 demons in the next level, but no real challenge. I then went down a handful of levels only encountering undead on maybe 3 levels, the rest were empty. Oh, and I found tiny lakes with freshwater on one level (only 3 levels above hell). Interestingly, there were no creatures on any cavern level whatsoever except a hunting party of friendly serpent man on lvl2 and a giant bat at the cavern entrance.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 02:50:51 pm »

I've had FBs enter through Hell too.
Pages: [1] 2