Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Egalitarianism thread  (Read 10655 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egalitarianism thread
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 08:15:10 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:13:31 pm by Ogdibus »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 08:20:28 pm »

Not being punished and being rewarded are pretty much the same, no? They just differ in what you take as neutral. Also, I'd be more receptive to radical feminists if some of their core ideas weren't inherently transphobic.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 08:23:34 pm »

Not being punished and being rewarded are pretty much the same, no?
No.
They're very much different. You can see it in children, those who were rarely punished, just rewarded for doing good things will behave differently to those who were just punished for bad things, rather than being rewarded for good things.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 08:26:33 pm »

Hmm, that is a good point. Does that mean there's an innate 'neutral point', so to speak?

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 08:36:12 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:13:53 pm by Ogdibus »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 08:48:13 pm »

PTW. Gonna watch this one.

For however long it survives...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 08:56:57 pm »

Hmm, that is a good point. Does that mean there's an innate 'neutral point', so to speak?
Little kids have a great sense of what's right and what's wrong, and will accept bad things happening to them if they perceive it as 'right'. Many if not all people hold on to it even as adults, although we become better at suppressing (or even willfully altering) it. Along the same lines there's bound to be a sense of what response can be reasonably expected; what response is 'right', so to speak.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 01:56:17 am »

You can get some Radical TransFeminism here.  I admit, it's rare stuff, though.  The first that I found was somewhere else, but I forgot. :<

Wow, that's a weird blog. Usually radical feminist stuff is really transphobic, viewing trans women as men who are trying to claim femininity as their own and viewing trans men as women trying to gain the power to oppress.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 08:01:17 am »

I think all people should be treated equally regardless of their circumstances and that no one has the right to mistreat or discriminate against another person. I also think that the reason discrimination happens is because humans like to label things and by doing so they notice the differences between one person and another.

I think that the only way we will ever be able to deal without discrimation in our lives is by the seperation of free will from the human race or the acquisition of some kind of hivemind state. Neither of these are likely to happen in our lifetimes without some kind of divine or extraterrestrial intervention.

However I do think that if people want to make a difference about discrimination that they themselves should start by treating everyone the same as they want to be treated. Since people don't want to be discriminated against this means you yourself should not discriminate against other people, which implies that you shouldn't label them - something that is against the very human nature of naming things.

Defy the human nature of naming everything you see and perhaps you might find ways to not discriminate. To begin this just don't discriminate against anyone or anything and treat all people and persons equally. Just do it and it will be done.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:52 am »

Yeah, people *should* be nice. They're not, though.

Actually I think it's a good think when thinking about political questions to consider the people basically cattle: There's no point in saying 'should', 'ought to' etc.; the only way we can ever change anything is by force (prohibitions, taxes, other laws) and by education/indoctrination. (This probably sounds kind of evil because of the connotations, but indoctrination and use of force is not evil when done in the name of good, right? Right?)

So in conclusion: Keep teaching kids to respect everyone, and wait ~30 years.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 10:36:56 am »

Quote from: Glowcat
Quote from: Hiiri
I never said women, I said feminists. Men can be feminists as well.

...An evo-psych argument for a certain political position being prone to "victimhood" due to evolution makes EVEN LESS SENSE than the usual sexist bullshit.

But I'm sure you knew that, since you've been trolling your arse off this entire time.

Even though your response was idiotic and lacked in any content, I can't leave be.

The general jist of the whole evo-psy crap was basically that a successful female could be one that makes the most ruckus when feeling threatened and a successful male is the one who arrives to rescue, since he presents himself as strong and protective, so he gets a chance at reproduction. Feminism 101, anyone?

I didn't make this argument since I'm not well educated nor good with words. You can either address what I said or you can make a personal attack, as I've seen most of you do.

Edit: Good source for insult could be my misspelling of "gist"
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:08:14 am by Hiiri »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 11:29:26 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:14:25 pm by Ogdibus »

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 11:40:24 am »

Your posts are primarily composed of statements and rhetorical questions that are phrased in such a way as to be a statement.  (I will present them as evidence if necessary.)

Please do. One of my passions is learning more, so I would like to see what you mean by this. Some of what I say may come out of frustration though

Because you have internet access, you can educate yourself.

Well, this is actually what I meant. Internet education/independent education isn't the same as actually studying a subject for years.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:43:59 am by Hiiri »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 11:56:24 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:17:32 pm by Ogdibus »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 11:59:28 am »

Quote from: Glowcat
Quote from: Hiiri
I never said women, I said feminists. Men can be feminists as well.

...An evo-psych argument for a certain political position being prone to "victimhood" due to evolution makes EVEN LESS SENSE than the usual sexist bullshit.

But I'm sure you knew that, since you've been trolling your arse off this entire time.

Even though your response was idiotic and lacked in any content, I can't leave be.

The general jist of the whole evo-psy crap was basically that a successful female could be one that makes the most ruckus when feeling threatened and a successful male is the one who arrives to rescue, since he presents himself as strong and protective, so he gets a chance at reproduction. Feminism 101, anyone?

I didn't make this argument since I'm not well educated nor good with words. You can either address what I said or you can make a personal attack, as I've seen most of you do.

Edit: Good source for insult could be my misspelling of "gist"

Uh huh... now explain how that fits into humans being a single species who constantly pass genes amongst ourselves. Or did you forgot that little fact? Maybe you'll next try to deflect into the realm of biological determinism and say that all people who fit into your narrow little worldview are the ones who become feminists, despite how views on this political stance may change throughout life.

And why the fuck is it that female feminists are only threatened while male feminists are rushing into the fray to protect them? Who can't see how horribly screwed up that view is?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8