Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Egalitarianism Thread. (Because Gendrer wasn't good enough For Granorke.)  (Read 9170 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Feminism today Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 05:54:36 pm »

My position on the topic: We're making way too much of a fuss about this. Feminism has become mainstream; everyone's internalized it ("Stab in a gender neutral way!"). What sexism remains will slowly vanish as the new generation grows up, just like racism (at least tendencially) is on the decline.
That's not to say that feminism has no function today; I just think everyone needs to relax and become a bit less dogmatic.

I actually disagree with this on the basis that our society still forces certain things on people of either gender to a rather large extent. You would be especially aware of this if you decided to approach gender in your day to day life in a different way than is normal. However, there are still some pretty huge issues, and some youth continue to approach women or men from this biased perspective of what is expected of them, so no, i do not believe we are yet at the part of our history where we can expect sexual discrimination to slowly be weeded out.

Edit: I would like to point out that sexual equality is really important to and effects me personally, so you could either say i'm prejudiced or that i have a closer view of the ground then some folks.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:57:34 pm by Mlamlah »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Equality Thread. (Because Gendrer wasn't good enough For Granorke.)
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:05 pm »

i do not believe we are yet at the part of our history where we can expect sexual discrimination to slowly be weeded out.
I think we are, but the problems you pointed out are of course still valid.

I don't think we'll eliminate double standards in my lifetime, but make very good strides toward it? Yes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gendrer Equality Thread.
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:51 pm »

On the other side there are the infamous Feminazis. I've *heard* of these people a lot, in some cases it's the what a person assumes all feminists are. Now, while i've heard of and seen the Feminists i've referred to earlier quite a bit i've never actually physically encountered or heard of a feminazi campaign that actually... did anything. The only instance i've ever encounterd Feminazis are as trolls on the internet, who could easily have just been... y'know, trolling. So please, for the love of god, if you're going to refer to feminazi's then please cite who these mythical creatures are and where their all powerful movement comes from.
There was the group who got together to vandalise one of Jimmy Saville's old residences (which had by then been sold on), after the reports of his sexual abuse stuff came out.
That's pretty terrible; they wrecked someone's house because of someone who lived there before.

Since you didn't link any citations I had to go find something on my own. Such as this.

This hardly looks like a Feminazi blitzkrieg.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Egalitarianism today Discussion Thread
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 06:02:25 pm »

Oh blow off Misko, remember Captain Oscar-sock puppet 9412 criticisms that Bay12 was a hug box inherently harsh towards conflicting opinions? Give Weegee a chance to justify their claim.
Fiiiine. But no more blaming rape-victims.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 06:02:58 pm »

Oh blow off Misko, remember Captain Oscar-sock puppet 9412 criticisms that Bay12 was a hug box inherently harsh towards conflicting opinions? Give Weegee a chance to justify their claim.

He is a troll, LW. He is blatantly trolling. He's not interested in discussion.
Love, scriver~

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 06:06:05 pm »

Just because he posted about his (pretty radical) opinion doesn't make him a troll.
It just means that he has an extremely strong opinion and it disagrees with just about everybody else's.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 06:06:51 pm »

Fiiiine. But no more blaming rape-victims.

Agreed, it's not cool.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Egalitarianism Thread. (Because Gendrer wasn't good enough For Granorke.)
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »

There's no subjectivity here. You can't hide behind an "opinion," at least not on this subject. It's disgusting and offensive; that's worthy of a report to me.

You can point out that there's a shred of truth to a few things weegee has said, but that doesn't excuse the rest, and those shreds of truth can be put forth by others in a much more reasonable manner.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 06:09:16 pm »

One more reason to never, ever institute another draft.
Oh, the day will come, if the past 6000 years are representative. Just hope it won't happen in our lifetime ;)

I don't think we'll eliminate double standards in my lifetime, but make very good strides toward it? Yes.
Exactly; there are still valid feminist concerns, but now is a time to be careful not to overshoot and destroy progress already made.

Question: What do you think of quotas for women in corporations?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Feminism today Discussion Thread
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 06:10:46 pm »

My position on the topic: We're making way too much of a fuss about this. Feminism has become mainstream; everyone's internalized it ("Stab in a gender neutral way!"). What sexism remains will slowly vanish as the new generation grows up, just like racism (at least tendencially) is on the decline.
That's not to say that feminism has no function today; I just think everyone needs to relax and become a bit less dogmatic.

I actually disagree with this on the basis that our society still forces certain things on people of either gender to a rather large extent. You would be especially aware of this if you decided to approach gender in your day to day life in a different way than is normal. However, there are still some pretty huge issues, and some youth continue to approach women or men from this biased perspective of what is expected of them, so no, i do not believe we are yet at the part of our history where we can expect sexual discrimination to slowly be weeded out.

Edit: I would like to point out that sexual equality is really important to and effects me personally, so you could either say i'm prejudiced or that i have a closer view of the ground then some folks.
If you'll excuse my politicizing of your post, I'd like to use this opportunity to grab a soapbox.
One of the central concepts that a lot of feminist works and movements use to describe social interactions is the theory of privilege. Basically, the idea is that society treats people adhering to a certain (often arbitrary) standard better than others.
Your example is the dichotomy between 'classic' and 'non-classic' sexuality. If you're straight, yay, you're safe. If you're gay, you have to put up with verbal harassment, your sexuality being used in a derogatory way and possibly even assault for expressing your sexuality. If you're a polygamous crossdressing submissive man with a scat fetish, people are going to see you as some kind of freak. Not being labeled a freak is a privilege straight people have.
Now, the thing about privilege is that if you have it, it's quite difficult to understand what it's like to not have said privilege (do the men here really know what it feels like to be cat-called, for example?). As such, I think it's necessary to listen to those with personal experience instead of dismissing their accounts because they do not fit your narrative. After all, a world view that labels half the population as oversensitive, for example, is probably not a good one.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 06:10:47 pm »

Same thing I think of all affirmative action: A necessary evil, at best.

It's one of those things I'd love to eliminate, except that it results in a net positive currently. Once culture catches up, we can get rid of them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 06:12:02 pm »

Ok, let's assume that's true. That must mean the only solution is...
"Let's crash the thread down with a flame war!"

If so, ignore and move on. Otherwise, ignore and wait for a reasonable argument. Doesn't look like a troll to me. The fact that this was said by an Escaped Luny means that this person likely wants to say it with anonymity; with anonymity you can say what you honestly think. A lot of people honestly think this, just like a lot of people think the Earth is 6000 years old and that pirates from Somalia are crashing the music industry.
Doesn't mean that some of the things they say will always be false though. If this is their view, they'll be more adept at finding information relevant to their beliefs - which can often be things you wouldn't consider searching for.

There's no subjectivity here. You can't hide behind an "opinion," at least not on this subject. It's disgusting and offensive; that's worthy of a report to me.
This is true also. I must say I didn't see the whole rape issue thing. There is an issue where rape allegations are falsely made but there are much more sensitive ways to bring those things up. Weegee, please do prove you are not a troll nor inhuman.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Egalitarianism Thread. (Because Gendrer wasn't good enough For Granorke.)
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »

As much as I dislike some of the stuff Weegee is saying, I have to agree with Loud Whispers.  No matter how extreme somebody's viewpoints are, if he's not openly fucking with you there's no need to jump him and call him names.  Bay12 does have a tendency to knee-jerk and dogpile people who don't follow the default viewpoint and it gives us a bad reputation.  I got ripped up on TwoCansandString (Whose forum I frequent but will never reveal who I am there) for a ridiculous knee-jerk post I made when our forums briefly juxtaposed during the Gay Panic discussion, to my eternal shame.  They were pretty harsh on the forum in general too.

Shoes...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2012, 06:14:08 pm »

It's not the way to actually get forwards. By forcing employers to employ X amount of women, it's going to automatically make them think of it as something that has to be done, despite not wanting to.
Not that I've ever heard of it. But it seems like that's the sort of thing it's doing (forcing employers to have a certain percentage of women working for them).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2012, 06:14:33 pm »

Well, women get help if they are the "victim", no matter how stupid the problem. Men are told to "man up" and are laughed at or shamed if they cry or ask for help, no matter how severe the problem.
"Let's keep patriarchy because all of my biggest complaints about feminism come from the fact that it still exists."

That's literally what you are saying.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5