Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drox Operative  (Read 2104 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drox Operative
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:01:06 pm »

It's a 2D space combat game from the creators of the excellent Depths of Peril and Din's Curse, SOLDAK.
http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Overview.html
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Features

Explore a dynamic and evolving galaxy
    Explore a unique sector of the galaxy in every game, with different "monsters", ship components, quests, and even races
    Fight in the galactic war between the various alien races
    Battle hundreds of different enemy starships
    Build the coolest and deadliest starship in the galaxy
    Outfit your ship with thousands of components and crew
    Adventure with your friends with co-op multiplayer

Currently the game is "expensive" at $19.99 but experience has taught me that Soldak have tons of value in gameplay while their graphics are sub-par. The good side is their games usually run on older hardware well. I'll post a better review after I spend some time with it today.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drox Operative
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 01:42:23 pm »

Been following the game for some time. Its similar to there other games but my biggest problem is combat with the game, because it is done like a normal arpg game, and not like a space game.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 02:27:49 pm »

The tutorial is not good. The UI is obtuse. The gameplay is actually good and a lot deeper than the initial implications of ARPG in space. Overall, I would say it would be a must buy at $9 but would give it a pass at the steep $20 tag.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:10:19 pm »

How do you like the combat aspect? Isn't it a little boring, with no need to aim, and face the ship in the right direction to hit?

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:26:42 am »

The tutorial is not good. The UI is obtuse. The gameplay is actually good and a lot deeper than the initial implications of ARPG in space. Overall, I would say it would be a must buy at $9 but would give it a pass at the steep $20 tag.

I just played the demo.
"Tutorial" if you count some pop-ups and context help a "tutorial."  Still, it's a decent game with way more depth than I was expecting.

Unfortunately, Space Rangers 2 set one hell of a standard for the genre.  You could make a case for Drox Operative surpassing Escape Velocity Nova, it still can't beat a game first released in 2004.  Even then, the newest Space Rangers 2 remake is due in just a few months (hence why it recently disappeared off GOG).

http://spacerangershd.com/

Sorry Texas, but it looks like the Russians are still winning this space race.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:18:08 am »

Wait, there is a demo for this game? Is the game released, or still in beta

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 11:22:24 am »

Wow, hyped up for a game for all of 2 seconds before this forum took my expectations out behind the woodshed and put an 8-gauge in its skull. Thanks Bay12.  :P

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 11:41:30 am »

Wow, hyped up for a game for all of 2 seconds before this forum took my expectations out behind the woodshed and put an 8-gauge in its skull. Thanks Bay12.  :P

True story.

I was waiting for a while. I really liked Din's Curse, so I thought this would be awesome. Too bad that the combat sucks.
Maybe I'll try it later!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 12:36:00 pm »

As this is one of the (sadly) few games that runs on Mac, I've given it a whirl (demo only so far). Seems pretty decent to me.  I'm curious as to what particular aspects are giving rise to statements that the combat mechanics to be such a show-stopper.  My impression is that the game isn't really about the combat so much as it is about managing the interactions of the various races.

As far as combat goes, the fact that auto-fire is "closest targetable object" means that there is some interesting gameplay here - you have to actually pay some attention to how that particular game mechanic; I don't see it as game-breaking by any means.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 03:36:50 pm »

my biggest problem with combat is that it's so fast and many times you can't clearly discern friendly from enemy.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:56:28 pm »

...Seems pretty decent to me.  I'm curious as to what particular aspects are giving rise to statements that the combat mechanics to be such a show-stopper.  My impression is that the game isn't really about the combat so much as it is about managing the interactions of the various races.

As far as combat goes, the fact that auto-fire is "closest targetable object" means that there is some interesting gameplay here - you have to actually pay some attention to how that particular game mechanic; I don't see it as game-breaking by any means.

...until you realize that most of the mobs are swarms that also fire seeking missiles, so you initially think it's all a clickfest.   ...and then you realize that hostile missiles trip your own mines which do area of effect damage... mines which don't damage friendlies.  Charge into the swarm, drop a mine, laugh as it all goes kaboom, repeat endlessly.  It's more fun than frantically outclicking a swarm, but it get old fast.

Though to be honest, I'm personally burnt out on the ARPG genre as a whole, and was hoping for something more tactical combat-wise.

Like I said earlier, it's not a bad game, but its more that Space Rangers 2 has set the bar way too high for me now.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:41:57 pm by ConscriptFive »

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 03:33:45 pm »

I want this game for christmas. Damnit not having a credit card :(
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Vortex Rikers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:21:56 am »

I've already spent several sleepless nights playing Drox, it's a good game. I'm really enjoying playing a pseudo parasitic vulture who gets rich off interstellar conflict with absolutely no concept of honor, fairness or allegiance.

However, though there are over a dozen different races to choose from, they all feel the same. There is really no major differences between my Utopian, Dryad or Drakk level 20 ships. The load outs are basically almost the same, and the racial bonus slots really offer a minor diversion from it. Whether I pumped everything into computers as Utopian, or structure/engineering as Dryad, all of my characters/ships play the same. I can't figure who's at wrong here, the game, or maybe me?
But, the combat is typical hack and slash more suited to Diablo's hero mowing through legions of skeletons. Here, the player ship mows through ships much larger than itself, withstanding barrage after barrage of missile fire and a sparkly light-show of lasers; it's jarring and odd. I was honestly hoping to something more slow-paced and tactical. That, and currently mines feel hilariously overpowered, but that's an easily fixed balance issue.

All in all, unfortunately Soldak hasn't really outdone itself this time. Perhaps with an expansion or two? If anything I wish Soldak would have taken the vastly improved diplomacy and procedural world generation code from Drox, and the sheer mind-numbing variety of Din's, and just made Depths of Peril 2.

And I find the comparisons to Space Rangers 2 to be very unfair, as the focus of the games are completely different.