Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: NASA developing Warp Drive, "Alcubierre Drive"  (Read 27334 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: NASA developing Warp Drive, "Alcubierre Drive"
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2012, 12:58:00 pm »

Can't transfer classical information that way, sorry. Any attempt at modifying the system in a way that is measurable as a definite 'bit' on the other side will break the entanglement, since the particles have to be in thermodynamic equilibrium.
I believe the idea was that you would rapidly break and replace the entanglement to transfer the data, much in the same way it could be used for functional teleportation, but quicker.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2012, 02:31:30 pm »

How would that result in the transfer of data?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2012, 02:35:43 pm »

The bit is modified when the entanglement breaks. Enough of this will result in parsable communication.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2012, 02:58:12 pm »

You can't determine when the entanglement breaks, iirc.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2012, 03:07:46 pm »

The bit is modified when the entanglement breaks. Enough of this will result in parsable communication.
You can't distinguish between modification of the bit upon breaking the entanglement or modification of the bit upon measuring it, so I don't see how you're going to actually extract that information?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2012, 04:58:35 pm »

I don't know much about how one observes the state of quantum entanglement. Don't suppose there's a byproduct of entanglement, such as released energy or whatnot, that's measurable, and which wouldn't interfere with the source?

If so, you could probably use frequency of entanglement breaks to communicate data, yeah?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2012, 05:01:08 pm »

I don't know much about how one observes the state of quantum entanglement. Don't suppose there's a byproduct of entanglement that's measurable, which wouldn't interfere with the source?

If so, you could probably use frequency of entanglement breaks to communicate data, yeah?
You can't actually measure entanglement itself. The only way to determine if two particles are entangled is to measure the state of both particles and see if they're correlated. But to do that comparison you need to transfer classical data through another channel, which is limited by the speed of light (and it defeats the whole purpose of having communication through entanglement)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2012, 05:59:34 pm »

Is there any way to force a pair of particles to become entangled, so that you can be sure that the data on your end is an accurate reflection of what's on the other end, even if it is FTL?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2012, 06:26:15 pm »

Yes, that's how normal entanglement works. Entanglement works because of conservation laws. For example, if two spin-1/2 particles have been formed from a spin-0 particle, their spin states must add up to 0, since spin has to be conserved. This means that if one particle is measured to be <+1/2|, the other particle must be <-1/2| to keep the universe sane. The problem is that you cannot influence the probability function of only one of the particles and keep the entanglement, because if you do, conservation of spin no longer applies to the two-particle system. You also can't determine if particle 1 has been measured by measuring particle two, because the end result of measuring both particles in succession is independent of the order in which you measure them.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:31:35 pm by Virex »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »

I learnt from Mass Effect 2 that a hundred entangled particles is enough for full 3D video transmission.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2012, 07:41:31 pm »

I learned from the Mass Effect series that there are at least 10 people out there that want to bone me. Somehow I don't think it's all that trustworthy :P

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2012, 09:03:34 pm »

I learned from N that I can prolong my life by collecting little square gold pieces.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 03, 2012, 05:39:45 am »

I learnt from Pacman that I should wander around large buildings while repetitive modern music plays, eating consciousness-altering pills and attacking 'ghosts' so that their eyeballs fly away.

That stood me in good stead for those Raves, I tell you.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 03, 2012, 07:06:05 am »

OK, is it just me, or does anyone else keep reading the title as Albuquerque Drive?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2012, 07:58:06 am »

OK, is it just me, or does anyone else keep reading the title as Albuquerque Drive?
I didn't, mainly because I probably would have spelt it "Albequerque" (or maybe even worse than that  "...kirkie"?), but now I doubtless will.

As well as humming the tune to go with "Warp Drive // Breaking Light // Al... Bu... Querque!".  Doubtless sung by Prefab Spacestation. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13