Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Custom creature help please  (Read 957 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom creature help please
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:41:59 pm »

I'm working on a custom large spider.  I'm trying to get it to leave webs behind like a cave spider, while being a non-vermin creature.

Do large creatures, even with the WEBBER token, not leave webs behind?  I got the creature to work, no errorlog messages, but no webs were left on the ground.  Or does this only work underground?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:24:48 pm by Drawde »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Custom creature and webs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 02:49:14 pm »

Large creatures only spawn webs as attacks or sometimes their webs will be found underground. A good example to look at is the Giant Cave Spider.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:08:55 pm »

Rats.  I was hoping for a method that didn't require the setup for a giant cave spider, which provided silk but not quite as fast.

I based my spider off of the GCS, but without the shooting part.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:55:44 am »

Rats.  I was hoping for a method that didn't require the setup for a giant cave spider, which provided silk but not quite as fast.

I based my spider off of the GCS, but without the shooting part.

You may want to look into [0.34.x] Rhenayas Drow Mod as this has several spider creatures and their webs, as well as a unique building where you can process 'silkmilk' into useable silk for clothing. This allows you to step around the difficulty of finding a web emmiting creature and setting up a farm.

Several other mods have attempted to add some use to hiveable creatures by having them produce silk. Try Masterwork, Genesis, or Civilization Forge for some ideas and examples. If you use it for a mod and release it make sure to give credit where credit is due, just as a curtesy to your fellow modders. Good luck and happy modding

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 03:24:22 am »

Thanks for the help.

I didn't download any of those mods since I didn't want the entire thing, but I did manage to make a hivable spider that leaves webs around the colony/hive.

Not quite what I wanted, but acceptable.

Is there a way to lower the population of a hive though?  Not that it matters too much, but I'd prefer a smaller number.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:26:14 am by Drawde »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 11:11:47 am »

Is there a way to lower the population of a hive though?  Not that it matters too much, but I'd prefer a smaller number.
No.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 11:29:57 am »

Thanks for the help.

I didn't download any of those mods since I didn't want the entire thing, but I did manage to make a hivable spider that leaves webs around the colony/hive.

Not quite what I wanted, but acceptable.

Actually there might be. If you look at the raws for the honeybee you will see two tokens:

[POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:100:200]

[SMALL_REMAINS]
   [PETVALUE:1]
   [PETVALUE_DIVISOR:1000]

[SPEED:2900]
   [PREFSTRING:busy nature]
   [PREFSTRING:buzzing]
   [PREFSTRING:ability to organize]

The two teal bits control the overall population on the map, while the red token allows you not to be "bee"-sieged because of having 20000 members of a hive at 1 dwarf buck a piece... It lead to intrepid bee keeping forts being attacked almost in the first year as they had a very high created wealth due to the bees. Make sure to get that right

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 11:36:00 am »

The only one there that might work for the population of a hive is the [CLUSTER_NUMBER:XXX:XXX] token, since a hive counts as a "group". Other then that the [POPULATION_NUMBER:XXX:XXX] just controls the number of hives, not the number of bees per hive. It's worth a shot if you can get it to work though.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 07:14:41 pm »

Here's the creature if anyone wants it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If I wanted to be more realistic with them I'd make them tropical only.  That seems to be where most social spiders are from.

Based off of a mixture of cave spiders and bees.  Please let me know if you see anything wrong with it.  I did have a problem with them dying instantly, but I'm pretty sure I corrected it.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 04:17:40 am »

Interesting fact:  carnivorous vermin will kill other vermin.  I keep finding forbidden vermin remains near colonies and hives.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 09:32:18 am »

Fascinating... So if you build a hive of these critters near your stockpiles they may prevent all the assorted rats, lizards, and warblers from knowing on the wood barrels and spoiling my food (I usually make building the initial defensive wall a priority so stone pots and jugs are put off until then)?

How dangerous are they to the handlers and dwarves who pass through them? I know bees will occasionally sting a dwarf, which is usually doesn't do much, so I'm assuming that this may be a better (and less catsplosiony) way to control vermin.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 10:09:09 am »

Imaging if you took a large number of cave spiders and put them all in one place, and that's about how dangerous they would be. So there effects aren't really that big of a problem (just causing a small amount of paralysis) but if a dwarf soaks up a bunch of bites at the same time they might be in trouble.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 03:02:51 pm »

I haven't found a way to weaponize vermin like this, though I've tried once before.  They didn't like to attack larger creatures.  And I really wanted to make some death scarab "traps" (a line of hives near my entrance)   :(

My spiders just cause brief localized paralysis.  So they're not that dangerous to dwarves.  Do remember that hives need to be close to outside to work though.  I also need to work on their frequency or population number, and possibly limit them to tropical areas.  Getting too many of them in one map is easy.  Three hives close to a loom seems to keep a legendary weaver constantly busy.

I did notice while working on them that bumblebees aren't hivable.  Don't know if that was intended or not though.
EDIT Looked it up in the bug site.  Bumblebees are NOT supposed to be harvestable.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:07:33 pm by Drawde »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »

Interesting fact:  carnivorous vermin will kill other vermin.  I keep finding forbidden vermin remains near colonies and hives.
Could this be due to the webs? Webs kill most vermin which walk on/fly into them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 01:54:16 am »

Could be.  Didn't know that.
Pages: [1] 2