Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 12612 times)

thatnewyorker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2013, 01:50:03 pm »

Found out about it on a 4chan's /v/ board a few years ago. Back then it was all the rage on the board so I decided to give it a shot. I didn't have Dwarf Therapist or any 3rd party utilities or know about tilesets and I didn't even know about the wiki. It took me months to figure out how to play the game.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2013, 10:03:32 pm »

Sonic 2006.

I found Something Awful's LP of that, watched it, and went through the archives looking for something similar. Decided to click on the one marked Dwarf Fortress and was incredibly confused by the screenshots but enthralled by the text. At that point the game was on 40a or about that release, but I decided to play the 2D version for a bit. Never got past the magma river, because I was having too much fun with planning layouts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2013, 01:18:33 am »

Stumbled upon the Boatmurdered archive and read it.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2013, 04:36:37 am »

I found DF when visiting the friend of my other half, he mentioned a game he'd heard of but never tried, and we downloaded it and i fell in love with it a little bit.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2013, 07:51:09 pm »

During the development of the Fall From Heaven II mod for Civilization 4, there was a discussion going on in the CivFanatics forum about possible underground tiles.  One of the down-sides was the lack of "good" tiles and low food amounts, so someone said something along the lines of, "What about putting in giant purple mushrooms, like the plump helmets from Dwarf Fortress?"
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2013, 10:38:46 pm »

Screw you guys. Reading this thread made me curious about the tvtropes page for DF. I had stuff to do...
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Zerathzul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »

Also TVTropes. Like the rest of the tropers, it means I've been spoiled on most of the big surprises. Ah well. There's a lot more to discover in DF than just the circus.

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2013, 09:12:15 pm »

Turn left at Greenland.

Seriously, though, it's one of those things that popped up a lot on other forums.

I was a 3-year veteran of WoW (retired) who was itching to get back into coding his own Roguelike (which would have just about everything that WoW should have had but didn't), and also to playing various similar RLs to see if they had what I wanted in a game.

Now, the more I followed the goings-on at Angband, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and FreeBASIC forums (the last not being a RL, but my language of coding choice), the more I heard about Dwarf Fortress and the more puzzled I became.

I'm one of those people who don't really see the point of using ANSI text when tile graphics will do the job just as well (although I respect Toady's decision to stick to oldschool display methods), so I've only come here occasionally to see how it was coming along.

One day, someone at DCSS forum referred to DF as "when it's completed, it'll be the greatest game of all time". What?!? That clunky thing that crashes during worldgen?

So I lurked around these forums more, and then I heard about the Phoebus tileset, and then I saw DF Masterwork, and then I read about CaptnDuck's LPs, and then I found out about the O'Reilly book, and then I read about SA's Boatmurdered...

One day I'll write the chapter where I can finally put down DF and get back to work on my Roguelike. But that day is not today!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2013, 01:29:59 pm »

I was reading Three Panel Soul and they had a few funny comics about DF. I decided to check it out. A short story with a spectacular ending.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2013, 05:34:42 pm »

Back in 2008 I was looking for games that I could play without the use of a mouse. DF was among them and I played it for about four to six hours before quiting. Years later I saw an article in PCgamer about DF geting necromancers, wampires and werecurses and gave it another try. I am still playing.

Kazima

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2013, 07:11:07 pm »

Pretty sure it was VGPat

Snowdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2013, 09:57:18 pm »

I don't remember of what precisely brought me to DF it was so long ago. I do remember that I first read the ENTIRE wiki after which I read Boatmurdered and got hooked. I started my first fortress thinking that the difficulty was exaggerated and quickly discovered why Boatmurdered was always covered in miasma. I was in love, but the object of my affections only wanted to tear me limb from limb.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2013, 08:34:01 am »

I was recommended it by a friend on the (now defunct, I think) picture wars forums some time in March 2008 - so in about a month I'll have spent 5 years playing df on-and-off.

On that note I'm making a stab at playing again at the moment for the first time in about 8 months. Wish me luck.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2013, 08:57:37 am »

I distinctly remember watching YouTube videos when I stumbled across a vid on it, though I can't remember the name. (I'll have to find the video and username now...) But it was a fairly impressive looking fortress viewed through Stonesense.

After that, as I recall, I looked for more videos on DF and found some by captnduck. I particularly remember "DF tutorial 40 - 3D tour" as the fort seemed super impressive and 3Dwarf only added to it. I bookmarked the heck out of it and started reading about it. And watching more videos. It was a while later before I actually started playing.

shovelmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2013, 04:35:00 pm »

I read about it on Eve-Online's forums, of all places, about a year ago. Hooked ever since. My EvE career has since dwindled  8)
Reach out and crush someone!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11