Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Civ 4 or Civ 5?  (Read 11832 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civ 4 or Civ 5?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 07:54:29 pm »

If you are gonna get Civ 5, get the expansion pack too. Playing a civ game that doesn't have religions in it felt weird to me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 08:20:03 pm »

If you are gonna get Civ 5, get the expansion pack too. Playing a civ game that doesn't have religions in it felt weird to me.

...but no civ game hac religions in it except Civ 4....
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 08:21:57 pm »

Wait, didn't Civ 3 had religions too?

Nevermind, my mistake. You still should get the exp pack. Game feels simple and dumbed down enough as it is.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:28:20 pm by Leatra »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 09:03:43 pm »

Civ 5 does have religion, but it's in the expansion pack "Gods & Kings." I admit it kinda sucks that people have to buy the expansion to get it though.

I really do miss the "hide" feature from civ II for all the labels.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 11:24:33 pm »

I would say four it cheap on steam right now and from the little I play of both it has a little more feature non expansion packed bounded.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 05:16:11 am »

Civ V is a streamlined version of Civ IV. Less complexity, but arguably a bit easier and fun to play. Civ IV is a bit more complex, and has at least eight awesome total conversion mods.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 08:56:43 pm »

Civ V is a streamlined version of Civ IV. Less complexity, but arguably a bit easier and fun to play. Civ IV is a bit more complex, and has at least eight awesome total conversion mods.

Civ 5 has (in my opinion) the nicer maps between the two games. What can I say, the art style has grown on me. I really do wish I could make maps like that, or do screen captures or something without all those labels, etc. [sigh]. O well.

Civ 5.... I don't know that it has less complexity than Civ 4, necessarily, especially when you add in the expansion "Gods & Kings." I think it's just a different business model that's unfortunately becoming more pervasive in the video game industry: division. See, they want you to pay more for the various parts of the game: here, religion feature, etc.

Actually yeah, Civ 4 is also cheaper. You can get all the expansions plus colonization for around... I think ... $20 at Wal-Mart or something.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 11:31:44 am »

Civ 4 with all the expansions and colonizaton is on steam for 15
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 08:34:29 pm »

I actually preffered the lack of stacking in Civ V. Felt a bit more like other tactical games (like my beloved Hearts of Iron 3), where putting too many units in one place = doomed to failure. The doomstacks just got rediculous - kinda worked for the early game, where that's kinda how armies generally operated (one bigassed blob that runs at a specific target), but y'know, it just felt gamey and cheap. Without logistics, ability to attack multiple units in the same square, you could practically have an immortal army blob running around the map without a care in the world. At least, now that unit stacking is gone you actually have to be careful in your strategy, pay attention to territory and positioning; if they manage to wipe out one of the older units you have holding a flank, they get free reign to wipe out all your precious artillery and support units who aren't meant to be fighting one-on-one, so you have to make sure to hold a line around the units who need protection, rather than just chucking them into the super-blob and feeling safe that there's 20 billion riflemen units there to protect them no matter what happens. It's kinda neat, and reflects the macro-level territorial control that constitutes so many wars in later history.

Also there's no feeling like punching through a line and wiping out 6 tiles of archers. That just makes aaaall the deaths worthwhile :p

Also the resourcing system is a bit more developed. I always found it annoying in the older civs how an entire empire could live off one deposit of iron, and fire out a billion tanks, aircraft and ships because one city a continent away had a single iron mine.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 12:01:08 am »

Thing is, presently, Civ 5 doesn't have that. I think it's due to certain files not being released publicly or something.

Those were very recently released, though it takes a year or two for anything good to come out usually.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 12:35:36 am »

That's actually kinda cool. I never liked how the Civ games glossed over early history. One turn and we've gone from 4000BC to 3500BC? On marathon? Man, the egyptians built the great pyramids and fought roughly a billion wars in that space of time, let alone what the mesopotamians managed. Let the sprawling stone/bronze-age civilisations fight it out for a while, guys, I'm in no rush to get to the crappy medieval period and be engaged in a permanant tech race with my competitors :(
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 12:38:47 am »

I actually preffered the lack of stacking in Civ V. Felt a bit more like other tactical games (like my beloved Hearts of Iron 3), where putting too many units in one place = doomed to failure. The doomstacks just got rediculous - kinda worked for the early game, where that's kinda how armies generally operated (one bigassed blob that runs at a specific target), but y'know, it just felt gamey and cheap. Without logistics, ability to attack multiple units in the same square, you could practically have an immortal army blob running around the map without a care in the world. At least, now that unit stacking is gone you actually have to be careful in your strategy, pay attention to territory and positioning; if they manage to wipe out one of the older units you have holding a flank, they get free reign to wipe out all your precious artillery and support units who aren't meant to be fighting one-on-one, so you have to make sure to hold a line around the units who need protection, rather than just chucking them into the super-blob and feeling safe that there's 20 billion riflemen units there to protect them no matter what happens. It's kinda neat, and reflects the macro-level territorial control that constitutes so many wars in later history.

Also there's no feeling like punching through a line and wiping out 6 tiles of archers. That just makes aaaall the deaths worthwhile :p

Also the resourcing system is a bit more developed. I always found it annoying in the older civs how an entire empire could live off one deposit of iron, and fire out a billion tanks, aircraft and ships because one city a continent away had a single iron mine.
Starting world wars over uranium deposits in a city state never gets old.  :D
Having only played civ rev and civ V I can't comment as to which out of IV and V is the superior, however I can recommend V as a very fun game, I think you need to get Gods and kings though, navy rework in it is amazing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 12:01:30 pm »

That's actually kinda cool. I never liked how the Civ games glossed over early history. One turn and we've gone from 4000BC to 3500BC? On marathon? Man, the egyptians built the great pyramids and fought roughly a billion wars in that space of time, let alone what the mesopotamians managed. Let the sprawling stone/bronze-age civilisations fight it out for a while, guys, I'm in no rush to get to the crappy medieval period and be engaged in a permanant tech race with my competitors :(
So there's this Civ4 mod called Caveman2Cosmos...

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 02:36:35 pm »

5 contains a few design blunders, needs heavy-handed workarounds to keep the game from falling apart.
Much more busywork per relevant decision.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 03:14:53 pm »

Can you give me a few examples?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5