Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64218 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #270 on: December 05, 2012, 06:07:08 pm »

It's a stage of evolution when organisms had an inside, and an outside but no inbetween. (ak, no internal organs., Just a single membrane. In effect, the creature looks like a plastic bag) I just couldn't remember the proper name for it.
That's how I visualized the macro-phages to tell the truth.
Macrophages sound unicellular.

In the original post that I made regarding them, I stated that the macrophages were colonial multi-cellular entities.  While they would work as unicellular organisms due to the colonial nature, they work better as a multi-cellular entity in the shape of a 'tube' with one end closed off in order to better catch the virii that it eats.

Azeroth will call Draken a cheater and threaten to make poripinnans sentient.
Support by threatening to make Yisfjlelh sentient as well.
Oh dear lord...we're not even to real tissues and we're a step away from having interspecies war...

I was trying to help you dissuade Draken from that action.  Why is it you are complaining?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 05, 2012, 09:15:30 pm »

It's a stage of evolution when organisms had an inside, and an outside but no inbetween. (ak, no internal organs., Just a single membrane. In effect, the creature looks like a plastic bag) I just couldn't remember the proper name for it.
In the original post that I made regarding them, I stated that the macrophages were colonial multi-cellular entities.  While they would work as unicellular organisms due to the colonial nature, they work better as a multi-cellular entity in the shape of a 'tube' with one end closed off in order to better catch the virii that it eats.
Oh.
IRL, macrophages are a type of white blood cell. They're the kind that eats germs.

Oh dear lord...we're not even to real tissues and we're a step away from having interspecies war...
I was trying to help you dissuade Draken from that action.  Why is it you are complaining?
Oh, sorry, I thought you were Draken...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 05, 2012, 09:25:07 pm »

Oh.
IRL, macrophages are a type of white blood cell. They're the kind that eats germs.

I think someone described them as macrophage-like and the term macrophage just stuck.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were Draken...

Honest mistake.  Just pay more attention next time.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2012, 01:05:37 am »

your macrophages are eukaryots, so they are significantly bigger than procaryots. And even for procaryots, there isn't much to eat in a virus...
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/cells/scale/

Also purposefully absorbing something that WANT to be absorbed for reproduction purposes is not really a good idea IMHO.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 06, 2012, 01:08:46 am »

At least not when they're still active.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2012, 01:02:03 pm »

your macrophages are eukaryots, so they are significantly bigger than procaryots. And even for procaryots, there isn't much to eat in a virus...
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/cells/scale/

Also purposefully absorbing something that WANT to be absorbed for reproduction purposes is not really a good idea IMHO.

They are not single cells, proof is in the post they were introduced in:

Additional Action
Manipulate an organism to have it evolve into a virus-eating, colonial-based multi-cellular organism.

One possibility (however unlikely) on how it is getting enough of a meal to survive on is:
The cells sacrifice one of the group, which then becomes infected, when that cell is nearly full/full of the virii, the others attack with chemicals to kill the virii and provide a meal for the other cells.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2012, 01:27:18 pm »

Hint: Virusses can not override reality. Especially not conservation of energy.

Edit: If the macrophages are indeed virus eating multicellular organisms, I propose we rename to them virovores or something, in order to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:37:36 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2012, 01:32:13 pm »

So wait.

A cell produce virii.

Which are synthesised from the amino acids, sugars and whatnot the cell digest anyway.

This is redundant.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2012, 02:24:10 pm »

So wait.

A cell produce virii.

Which are synthesised from the amino acids, sugars and whatnot the cell digest anyway.

This is redundant.
Wait... You're right...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2012, 02:58:47 pm »

So wait.

A cell produce virii.

This is redundant.
Wait... You're right...

Yes, the virii don't make magicially more molecules out of nothing. This is a perpetuum mobile (in a broader sense).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 06, 2012, 04:03:42 pm »

Why did you guys beat me to pointing out the violation of the laws of physics?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 06, 2012, 04:11:31 pm »

Yes, the fact that when Virii are destroyed they do give a amount of resources, it is usually quite insubstantial, and the woudl not give enough resources to make up for the investment.

I'm thinking about a cell that uses Virii as a weapon though. We really don't have that IRL. Probably because of dificulties keeping track of the virii. If a solution could be found, the virii could canabalize the cell and go back to the main cell to be destroyed and used for resources, sorta like what happens in the human body when a regular cell dies.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2012, 04:13:59 pm »

Yes, the fact that when Virii are destroyed they do give a amount of resources, it is usually quite insubstantial, and the woudl not give enough resources to make up for the investment.

I'm thinking about a cell that uses Virii as a weapon though. We really don't have that IRL. Probably because of dificulties keeping track of the virii. If a solution could be found, the virii could canabalize the cell and go back to the main cell to be destroyed and used for resources, sorta like what happens in the human body when a regular cell dies.
Kinda impossible. Since the cell doesn't control the virii, and the virii have no real benefit in complying to the cell's wishes. Going berzerk and just plundering what they find works much better.

Also, virii can't move.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2012, 04:18:46 pm »

Kinda impossible. Since the cell doesn't control the virii, and the virii have no real benefit in complying to the cell's wishes. Going berzerk and just plundering what they find works much better.

Also, virii can't move.
The second could possibly be solver with some sort of injector on the former's part. Unlike with large creatures, Viruses can kill a cell quite quickly if they are not overcome or not programmed to stay hidden. It would also break up the other cell easily, and start the process before the cell even died.

Also, you seem to have a startingly high assumption of virii intelligience. The virii could be programmed to be redundant, short-lived, or even even just not attacking something with a indentifier protein.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:20:35 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2012, 04:19:50 pm »

Or they could be kept in sturdy cells with minimal resources, which are injected into enemies. Probably not for a while, though.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28