Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64124 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #255 on: December 04, 2012, 07:22:34 pm »

GUys, keep in mind that on the grand scheme of earth, Microbes arose early, then stayed like that for a billion or so years. If you could compress earth's histroy into a day, microbes woudl rule for 16 hours. I think more. By comparison Dinosaurs holdswayy for about a half an hour. Humans are a few minutes.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 04, 2012, 10:27:51 pm »

Indeed.
Granted, we have no idea how long each turn is...and it would be REALLY boring to direct the growth of different kinds of microbes for a hundred turns or whatever before getting to the rest, then having entire civilizations fall in under a turn.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 04, 2012, 10:31:19 pm »

Indeed.
Granted, we have no idea how long each turn is...and it would be REALLY boring to direct the growth of different kinds of microbes for a hundred turns or whatever before getting to the rest, then having entire civilizations fall in under a turn.
Yes, but just keep in mind we should keep progress of the microbes up.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 04, 2012, 11:02:04 pm »

Indeed.
Yes, but just keep in mind we should keep progress of the microbes up.
I'll do my best, but A. they're losing the limelight, and B. I'm more of a zoologist than a microbiologist.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:35 pm »

There is one source of materials that each and every one of us has overlooked when providing benefits to these growing species.

Lord Draken reaches into the cells that comprise himself and from them pulls their DNA coding to survive in oxygen rich environments and grants each of the races this resisitance to the gas as he starts to turn the Sulfur Dioxide into Ozone and removes the sulfur to Tranquality where he stores the sulfur in a solid mass.

*Draken's DNA grants increase oxygen resistance to all currently alive races*

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2012, 11:35:59 pm »

Azeroth will call Draken a cheater and threaten to make poripinnans sentient.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 05, 2012, 01:15:38 am »

That sulphur is important you know. Some species are eating it. Also, it's an important antigreenhouse gas.

Faced with the increasing dangers of the surface life, the algae start to clump together, and also gain a much stronger cellular wall. They attach themselves to the rocks along the coast, but even to other organisms.

((Also, did we almost skip a stage of evolution again. I believe it was supposed to go like this.
Normal cells-->Clumps of cells-->Blobs with limited specialization--> plastic bag organisms-->"modern day" multicellular organism))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2012, 01:26:50 am »

More! More parasites!

Parasites got to be simple compared to the thing they bring down though.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2012, 03:13:30 am »

GUys, keep in mind that on the grand scheme of earth, Microbes arose early, then stayed like that for a billion or so years. If you could compress earth's histroy into a day, microbes woudl rule for 16 hours. I think more. By comparison Dinosaurs holdswayy for about a half an hour. Humans are a few minutes.
less than a second in fact. Reported to the entirety of the Earth's existence:
0h00: clumps of rock begin to gather
0h08: Earth is formed (still a lava ball), and 1 second later is hit by what will give the moon.
0h16: the aftermath of moon's birth end.
0h50: water come.
1h00: first rains.
1h20: life appear, in the form of archeobacterias (super primitive bacterias).
3h25: proper bacterias appear.
around 5h00-5h45: photosynthesis.
13h00: oxygen levels rise to significant levels.
21h00: plants appear. Still unicellular.
21h06: first multicellular organisms.
21h22: fishes.
21h40: mosquitoes.
22h20: reptilians.
22h50: dinosaurs and mammals appear.
23h40: Apes appear.
23h59 and 30 seconds: Man appear.
23h59 and 59 9/10 seconds: civilization appear.

This explain why games like this works on a reverse-logarithmic scale.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 05, 2012, 07:45:53 am »

That sulphur is important you know. Some species are eating it. Also, it's an important antigreenhouse gas.

Faced with the increasing dangers of the surface life, the algae start to clump together, and also gain a much stronger cellular wall. They attach themselves to the rocks along the coast, but even to other organisms.

((Also, did we almost skip a stage of evolution again. I believe it was supposed to go like this.
Normal cells-->Clumps of cells-->Blobs with limited specialization--> plastic bag organisms-->"modern day" multicellular organism))
I'm not sure what you mean by "plastic bag organisms," but the poripinnans are nothing more than sponges which use their "pumps" to move, so they're pretty simple.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:45 am »

It's a stage of evolution when organisms had an inside, and an outside but no inbetween. (ak, no internal organs., Just a single membrane. In effect, the creature looks like a plastic bag) I just couldn't remember the proper name for it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 05, 2012, 11:30:14 am »

It's a stage of evolution when organisms had an inside, and an outside but no inbetween. (ak, no internal organs., Just a single membrane. In effect, the creature looks like a plastic bag) I just couldn't remember the proper name for it.

That's how I visualized the macro-phages to tell the truth.

Support by threatening to make Yisfjlelh sentient as well.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:11 pm »

Macrophages are unicellular. "plastic bag" organisms are pluricellular, akin to jellyfishes.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 05, 2012, 12:52:28 pm »

I love it how my suggestions are always under the radar.  :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 05, 2012, 05:37:11 pm »

Ah. Okay then.

That's how I visualized the macro-phages to tell the truth.
Macrophages sound unicellular.

Support by threatening to make Yisfjlelh sentient as well.
Oh dear lord...we're not even to real tissues and we're a step away from having interspecies war...
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28