Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: RL Zombie Apocolypse  (Read 7609 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RL Zombie Apocolypse
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 02:10:00 pm »

Well... that just means the dust is alive. Not that it's dangerous.

Actually most dust is probably covered in living bacteria and practically alive anyway, right?

Still not particularly dangerous.

And 10ebbor10, if we're dealing with a parasite, there's basically no way it would be able to build up enough momentum to ever get to apocalypse level. And doesn't cooking kill almost all parasites?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 02:10:40 pm »

If every single part of everything dead was coming back to life, we'd be ripped apart by ourselves.  I mean at any point in time there is a lot of dead matter in and on the human body.

But even if it wanted to kill us, it couldn't. It could only simmer in resentment at it's prison. Mwahaha.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 02:14:14 pm »

Here is my take on the cities VS zombies argument.

Every country listed here is safe.

There's basically no way it would be able to build up enough momentum to ever get to apocalypse level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 02:14:34 pm »

If every single part of everything dead was coming back to life, we'd be ripped apart by ourselves.  I mean at any point in time there is a lot of dead matter in and on the human body.

But even if it wanted to kill us, it couldn't. It could only simmer in resentment at it's prison. Mwahaha.
Until your hair tries to suffocate you, or your fingernail clippings animate and try to puncture your eyeballs. I suppose there's a certain granularity threshhold you'd have to define else "everything dead animates" becomes kinda silly and/or horrifically disturbing. Might make a good xkcd what-if.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 02:15:47 pm »

I happen to agree that a disease that threatens our food/pets would be just as disasterous.  Rabid cows and Dying cats?  Horrors!

Imagine an old-cat lady with dead cats!

As far as what animates, sticking with science Id say any complete organism should reanimate.  Zombies can and should be biologcially possible, and simply bleeding them out should be enough to 'kill them'
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 02:16:01 pm »

As I said in the other thread, for an amateur radio standard frequency you're most likely to find people on a 20m wavelength.
For one, it's long enough that it can be bounced off the ionosphere so it can be (and often is) used to communicate with places all the way around the world. It's also a pretty common frequency band anyway, so equipment for it won't be scarce,  as radio equipment goes anyway.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 02:17:00 pm »

If its standard zombies (humans only, slow moving, killed by hitting the brain), and I'm trapped in the city my plan is to live on the rooftops.  Zombies can't really climb, so as long as I destroy staircases/ladders I think I'd be pretty safe from zombie attack.  The trick then becomes where to find food.  Most office buildings have quite a few vending machines I could loot until I get a good rooftop garden going.  Also the city I live in has a ton of pigeons/gulls I could probably start eating/breeding, which could get me through the winter months.

The nice thing about living in a city infested with zombies, is that the crazy humans won't bother me much.  They are too busy going out into the wilderness or living on boats or finding fortified bunkers.   No sane person would live in zombie central.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 02:19:00 pm »

There's basically no way it would be able to build up enough momentum to ever get to apocalypse level.

I struggle to see what this is evidence of.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 02:22:12 pm »

Cats will be immune to the parasite, infecting 1/3 of the world's population before the parasite begins the zombie apocalypse.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 02:23:33 pm »

"Also, virusses that are that deadly have been found (and created) and have been Quarantined without problems."

I don't doubt it, but has there ever been an outbreak of a bio-weapon? Also, examples of the former. Please, please let's scratch bloody zombies. Let's think about how it was for the first, and first small group of, homo sapiens, which must have been utterly fascinating.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 02:24:13 pm »

But it ONLY managed to effect 1/3rd because we don't care! And zombie apocolypses usually indicate more than 1 out of every 3 people being zombified.

Or are you proposing it would stealth infect everyone and then... somehow trigger simultaneously? I thought we were sticking to parasites because it would be realistic!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 02:32:16 pm »

Cats will be immune to the parasite, infecting 1/3 of the world's population before the parasite begins the zombie apocalypse.
ftfy

Zombie catsplosion

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 02:35:43 pm »

But it ONLY managed to effect 1/3rd because we don't care!
Wat

And zombie apocolypses usually indicate more than 1 out of every 3 people being zombified.
That's 2.3 billion people dead without the dead trying to eat the rest.

Or are you proposing it would stealth infect everyone and then... somehow trigger simultaneously?
It would live amongst the cat species spreading across the world. Eventually it crosses species to humans and incubates, replacing the other species that was specific to cats alone.
Eventually the incubation period runs out and zombeiverywhere.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 02:39:14 pm »

Also, a parasite can spread quite fast depending on how it is deployed. It'll most likely be used as a bioweapon (since nature has way better ways of killing humans) ensuring a wide starting basis. If it's blood based , there's a large chance it can be spread around by biting insects. If the paraste also finds itself into your various body fluids(saliva) it might also spread by pets and pests and such. Combined with a long incubation period this means that the parasites can break most quarantines, and can remain pasively present in the environements for many years.

"Also, virusses that are that deadly have been found (and created) and have been Quarantined without problems."

I don't doubt it, but has there ever been an outbreak of a bio-weapon? Also, examples of the former. Please, please let's scratch bloody zombies. Let's think about how it was for the first, and first small group of, homo sapiens, which must have been utterly fascinating.

The British once tested an Anthrax bioweapon on a small island. 40 years later, they firebombed it, dug the soil off and replaced it with soil from the bottom of the sea. It's still not noted on many maps. This anthrax bombardement meant that any mammal that would walk on the island without proper equipment would die within a few days.

This was during the second world war btw, and scientist estimated that if they bombed german cities this way it would make them uninhabitable for decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island.

There have, as far as I know, been no official acknowledgements of any bioweapon outbreaks.

Edit: Not firebombed. Sprayed with metanal.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:41:35 pm by 10ebbor10 »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 02:47:34 pm »

They may not have ever officially recognized it, but the Soviets had an accidental release of anthrax in Sverdlovsk in 1979. About 100 dead.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8