Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannot get minecarts/wheelbarrows in converted save (0.34.07 to 0.34.11)  (Read 897 times)

Lomax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm having real difficulty getting wheelbarrows and minecarts to appear in a game I've moved from DF 0.34.07 to 0.34.11. I've tried deleting the raws for the save game and replacing them with the ones from 0.34.11, and I've waited a few seasons and have tried removing/rebuilding carpenter's workshop but both items remain missing from the build list. My fortress is full of stone that I want to tidy up but this will take forever if hauled by hand!

I've seen people say

Copy your save folder to 34.11 and then replace the raws in the save folder.

and

Go to your Dwarf Fortress directory. Copy the raws folder. Go to your save game, copy over the raws folder there.

But also

the game only adds in the default minecarts if there's none in the raws. Remove them and try again.

Does anyone have a definitive answer or suggestions of what to try next - or even some obscure rumor or magical incantation that may be of assistance?

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot get minecarts/wheelbarrows in converted save (0.34.07 to 0.34.11)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:12:00 pm »

Troubleshooting here:
Make sure it's a permitted reaction for your civ, in raws. but if you've copied them over then you should be good. the only other thing I can think of is a regen. Sometimes you need that for major changes to be implemented; although if you've already got a fort that's not really an option
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:17:35 pm »

Usually big new features, like minecarts and wheelbarrows, are not compatible with older saves.
If it were as simple as adding the permitted reaction, even then, it wouldn't work with a save. Permitted reaction is a change to an entity file, and requires a regen before taking effect.

My guess is that it is just not possible to get minecarts / wheelbarrows in a .34.07 savegame
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kerosene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:48:11 pm »

The problem might be in the entity files. Open up entity_default.txt (In raw/objects). Then under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] (where it defines the dwarves), look for where it starts defining tools. It should look like: [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_NEST_BOX], etc. Look for [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MINECART] and [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_WHEELBARROW], which should be nearby. If they're not there, then your dwarves can't make them. You'll have to add those two to the entity file and regen for them create carts/barrows.

I think they were added in 34.08, so if you copied the files from 34.07, I don't think they'll be there. Hope this helps!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:36:50 pm »

Usually big new features, like minecarts and wheelbarrows, are not compatible with older saves.
If it were as simple as adding the permitted reaction, even then, it wouldn't work with a save. Permitted reaction is a change to an entity file, and requires a regen before taking effect.

My guess is that it is just not possible to get minecarts / wheelbarrows in a .34.07 savegame

Toady specifically said that old saves would be compatible.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 04:49:59 am »

All I can guess is that compatible =/= with all the new features available. The wheelbarrows and so on are all in the entity files anyway and messing with those usually requires a regen.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:54:23 pm »

He also said that minecarts should work.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 11:18:52 pm »

I've seen people report success in transplanting raw from latest version into older version's save, as long as it's in same major version. In 31.xx there was some issues with birds and yarn, but it generally worked. Same for wheelbarrow and minecart in 34.xx

Granted I've not tried it myself, being post-minecart already.