Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43

Author Topic: "Why don't women like nice guys?"  (Read 43485 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: "Why don't women like nice guys?"
« Reply #570 on: December 02, 2012, 04:38:54 pm »

Aye, you have a problem with that? If you're going to bring up rape stats for women, you'll have to ignore murder/assault stats for men.
Rape and murder aren't closely related though. The reasons, the social background of the attacker and the way society views it differ. So doing so would be comparing apples to oranges, unless you want to make statements about violent crime in general.
Anybird, while a discussion about how things like violence culture, masculinity, ginger rolls and the patriarchy is surely interesting, it's quite a derail from the topic at hand, so I would like to ask you to delegate this to another thread, please. Right now it seems you want to press your own issue over that of others, which is an antbite-like thing to do.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 02, 2012, 04:54:38 pm »

Aye, you have a problem with that? If you're going to bring up rape stats for women, you'll have to ignore murder/assault stats for men.
Rape and murder aren't closely related though. The reasons, the social background of the attacker and the way society views it differ. So doing so would be comparing apples to oranges, unless you want to make statements about violent crime in general.
Anybird, while a discussion about how things like violence culture, masculinity, ginger rolls and the patriarchy is surely interesting, it's quite a derail from the topic at hand, so I would like to ask you to delegate this to another thread, please. Right now it seems you want to press your own issue over that of others, which is an antbite-like thing to do.
Alright. The feminism thread shall be created! By Misko! person who is attempting to remain a neutral party! Stupid Neutral Ho!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
The Big One : Edam or Gouda?
« Reply #572 on: December 02, 2012, 04:55:38 pm »

I *hope* this thread has run it's course, to which I must ask : Which dutch cheese do you prefer?

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 02, 2012, 05:01:20 pm »

I would like to point out that men get raped too, and some evidence suggests the statistics are somewhat underappreciative of just how much men get raped. It's a really horrible thing to happen to anyone, and personally i'm a huge opponent of victim shaming, which i view as a form of oppressing women (or men for that matter). It says a lot that men find it *even harder* to talk about than women do, the stigma against a man who has been raped is not insignificant, and it's not something we talk about at all, which i feel further cements the difficulty men have with it. Men get raped too, we should talk about it, the societal habit of ignoring it is a way men get oppressed. Though the fucked up double sided stigma against rape oppresses women too.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 02, 2012, 05:03:43 pm »

FEMINISM THREAD MADE. NOW START POSTING. AND LET THIS SAD THREAD DIE.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119942.0

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 02, 2012, 05:19:43 pm »

Honestly, it's not the thread. It's what was contributed, and the manner in which it was contributed.

IE. Ease up and give the arguments and points others put forth a spin in your head before you argue against them. Also, read the discussion rather than skimming everything and arguing on a cursory examination. That way lies misunderstanding and stupidity.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 02, 2012, 05:26:22 pm »

Honestly, it's not the thread. It's what was contributed, and the manner in which it was contributed.

IE. Ease up and give the arguments and points others put forth a spin in your head before you argue against them. Also, read the discussion rather than skimming everything and arguing on a cursory examination. That way lies misunderstanding and stupidity.
Well that's why the new thread! I can moderate, while Vector is long gone from this Wild-west style badlands.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 02, 2012, 06:01:07 pm »

From what I gathered, the conclusion to the question, when taking the answer criteria of the entire post into consideration, (for real, this time), is: 

First, the question does not necessarily assume that all women don't like nice guys.

"Women that don't like nice guys" are placing high priority on characteristics other than affection.  In cases where this is true, if the appeal of the potential partner is primarily affectionate behavior, that potential partner is considered to be lacking in compatibility.  A single, low priority positive characteristic is not enough for a relationship.

Some women like nice guys, and want to form relationships with nice guys.

Nice guys prioritize their needs of a partner in a similarly non-uniform way to women.  They might not need affection very much, even though they give it.

Nice guys might be lonely, or they might not.   Other factors are relevant to their situation.

Understanding why one person values receiving affection more than another is very personal.  It's probably best not to try to make generalizations.
For me, affection is associated with manipulation, so it makes me uncomfortable.

If the reason for this conclusion is unclear, it might help to reread the original post.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 02, 2012, 06:48:24 pm »

FEMINISM THREAD MADE. NOW START POSTING. AND LET THIS SAD THREAD DIE.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119942.0

That thread got locked before I had a chance to say something. Can't believe I missed it. That's what happens if extreme ideas conflict I guess. I thought we were better than this. Or I guess it was just because TheFryingWeegee started trolling.

I think we should lock this thread if it gets carried away again.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 02, 2012, 06:49:56 pm »

There's a new one up in case you're interested in shouting at random people for disagreeing with you swinging around a word-shaped hammer debating to your heart's content.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 02, 2012, 06:52:08 pm »

There's a new one up in case you're interested in shouting at random people for disagreeing with you swinging around a word-shaped hammer debating to your heart's content.
Sounds great!

edit: on second though, I guess I'll sit this one out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:55:02 pm by Leatra »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 02, 2012, 08:37:44 pm »

One could make an evo-psy argument to why feminists scream "victim" the loudest, however.
This part of the post took it from poor opinion to really, really terrible.  I mean goddamn how can you write this without realizing it's both sexist and hypocritical?

I cannot believe that someone literally posts 'it is disingenuous to believe there is any inequality between the sexes' unironically and you guys manage to ignore it entirely and flip out over someone four posts above being 'sexist to a man'.

What the fuck, bay12. This is some basement-dweller shit right here.
Yeah it's a real shame, we used to be good at shooting down stuff like this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 02, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »

It is more that we completely tune out statements like that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 02, 2012, 09:22:28 pm »

That's not true. I remember Vector's pages and pages of rants against sexism quite vividly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:02 pm »

That's not true. I remember Vector's pages and pages of rants against sexism quite vividly.

Yes but what about when Galactus started chatting in here and was SUPER sexist?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43