Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which faction do you like the most?

The Loyalists (Led by Pan)
The Revolutionaries (Led by Grimnir)
The Radicals (Led by Brewster)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 35

Author Topic: [Succession Game] Hammerscar - Politics, rebellion and war.  (Read 49704 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] Hammerscar - Politics, rebellion and war.
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2012, 06:26:08 am »

Hm, any reason why it's called 'Chzo's Wraith'?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2012, 11:05:25 am »

Entry Four
Felsite

Planted in early spring, the whip vine crop bloomed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was a joyful heralding Felsite and the revelry of whip wine.
Pan found himself surprisingly more worked up over the latter, as he counted the days anxiously. The spring dragged on, and the date of the common elven caravan draws close. With the new arrivals, especially, he wondered what Brewster's Blackdiamonds would do. Nothing good. He hoped the next caravan would be smarter and avoid Hammerscar. Pan sat on the surface compound dirt, watching the masonry, as an effective manager should. The stonework is solid dacite blocks, he thought inanely. The late spring heat lingers and clings, as summer draws close, and Pan felt himself drooping to sleep. The late night meeting had taxed him, and he found himself daydreaming of the spring events.

The middle of Slate had marked the arrival of a group of migrants. The dwarves raised Hammerscar's residents to a little more than 100 working bodies. These dwarves had seemed much less hardline than the early arrivals, and it would seem Hammerscar's recent murders had been relatively unknown. Pan was unsurprised, albeit disappointed. Goblins lurked and stole and murdered. Caravans often fell foul of their advances.

Among them had been a Stonemaster - a mason of great skill. The five adept stoneworkers, and the initiates had rallied beneath him. His arrival had allowed the fortification of the arable compound to be completed at a much faster rate, and the towers had been partially fortified. The north doors are also being constructed. The great tower, however, would have to wait. Brewster preferred to snipe his enemies behind secure fortifications first before expanding out the wilderness.

Pan realised that the woodcutters had been nervous of late, and Reaver and BronzeAge were the only one who would venture beyond the walls to cut wood. The lumber stock falls as charcoals and beds for the new arrivals are created. Pan approaches the dwarf BronzeAge to inquire the other lumberjacks' reluctance.

'They's afraid of the pointy ears.' BronzeAge snorted with contempt as she said this. 'They's reluctant to venture into the woods, and every rustling a pointy ear hungry for blood.'

Pan sighed. Madness. This is what happens when you surround yourself with enemies. As a merchant, he seemed frustrated to learn no one understood the concept of 'friends' and 'business partners'.

'And you're not?' Pan inquired politely, noticed that a silence dragged. The dwarf seemed not to notice, staring at blank space.

'Har!' the dwarf roared loudly. 'Begging pardons, but I was picking me some flowers on me break the other day, when I saw Blackdiamond killing us a giant sparrow. They's keep us safe from the greenskins, humans, and pointy ears.' She rounded abruptly and skipped off without another word.

A strange woman. But nonetheless, Pan was reminded, with sinking heart, that much of the fortress devotes themselves towards the Blackdiamonds. They are more popular than Grimnir, who commands respect but not devotion. Without the public's support, what could we do?

This takes Pan back to the meeting few days past. The secret tunnel had been mined out by Grimnir himself, given his strength and ability to avoid suspicion. With the Great Hall's excavation going on just a few levels beneath, Blackdiamond hall was unable to hear just beyond their very own wall.

With the tunnel completed, matters can be discussed.

Matters are grim. Grimnir cannot dismiss the popular captain. Grimnir cannot kill him. Grimnir's squad alone is no match for Blackdiamond. And even if the Blackdiamonds are forcibly killed, Hammerscar will be defenceless. Grimnir can only promise more speeches, to steer the public away from Brewster. But somehow, Pan was sure they had already made up their minds.

Grimnir's contact within Gavakis' squad reports the captain to be a wild hill dwarf. Who fought - no lived - with wolves after murdering his father. Certainly an interesting past. But Pan was mostly dismayed to learn this, for Brewster comes from similar origins. However, he also has a strong sense of justice and 'what's right', which leads to an air of subjective uncertainty. Grimnir promises to win him to his side... if Brewster doesn't first.

With the Hall of Speakers almost finished. On completion, Pan hopes Grimnir can prepare speeches, and rally Hammerscar against the common foe. Blackdiamond's order has brought nothing but chaos to Hammerscar. Grimnir's unity is needed by all.

Pan was woken from his daydream by a spine chilling yell.

'Elves!' someone yelled with glee. 'An elven caravan from Pevo Ayepa!' Pan could not decipher if the glee was though joy or bloodlust. Then he realized with a sardonic thought the two were no longer mutually exclusive in Hammerscar.

OOC: Decided I will split the update so we all get a say in this elven situation. Also, I'm sort of lazy and got two relatively inflamed eyes.

Anyone who I wasn't able to fit in this update, I will in the next. The Stonemaster is still up for grabs, by the way.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:25:13 am by Pan »

shali8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2012, 12:28:48 pm »

To my most respectable Father,

It is a dangerous place here. Though the stone is beautiful, the inhabitants are fierce. I hear the howls of ferocious creatures in the night. Some of them so loud, they echo through solid rock. Even more to be feared are the political battles for power. Currently an elite squad of crossbowdwarfs is controlling everything. I try to stay away from both the loyalists and revolutionaries. I'm afraid that soon I shall have to choose a side. Since my arrival here is relatively recent, my only information is biased either for or against the leader of the crossbow squad: Brewster. I believe the stories of his barbaric command to murder the human caravan are greatly exaggerated. If they are not; it is more dangerous here than I thought. For some reason I am not being welcomed as the asset that I am. Perhaps the cause is this blasted political conspiracy. I hope well for you and mother. Good luck with your promotion to lieutenant of the city guard.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Your Son,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Artimaus

If the majority is insane, the sane must will go to the hospital - Horace Mann Urist McDoctordwarf

The neurotic builds castles in the sky. The psychotic lives in them. The psychiatrist collects the rent - Anonymous

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2012, 01:10:45 pm »

Tirion's Personal Log

Entry 15

Can't believe it- Elves came again. Must have blamed caravan destruction on other, routinely occurring hazards. Implications... unpleasant.

Population over 100 dwarves. Must expand living quarters, make beds. Wood scarcity becoming problematic. Area outside walls not safe, woodcutters right to refuse going there. Should secure caverns instead, fungiwood acceptable substitute to surface wood. Would also be useful to make peace with elves, let them supply cheap wood.

Still no solution to Brewster problems, but no worsening either. Wait till summer and see if human caravan can be spared. Remains of previous caravan must be hidden, allow them to think it was lost to goblins.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2012, 01:16:59 pm »

Hm, any reason why it's called 'Chzo's Wraith'?
Its a sentimental reason, its from another game which I completley adore. If you would not mind, please call it that.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2012, 01:35:27 pm »

Would you like the influential mason-dwarf?
No, thank you. I would rather not claim that dwarf.
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2012, 03:26:14 pm »

You'll have to claim some Dwarf.

Also, great update Pan. 'll write a piece myself shortly.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2012, 04:08:57 pm »

You'll have to claim some Dwarf.
I guess I'll claim a weaponsmith.
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2012, 06:52:29 am »

No input, Brewster, AW? Guess I'll just kill the elves?

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2012, 07:16:07 am »

No input, Brewster, AW? Guess I'll just kill the elves?

Hells ya kill them!
Been busy RL to really do much anything Dwarf-wise.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2012, 07:44:58 am »

Yeah, shoot them to bits.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2012, 07:57:21 am »

Grimnir's still okay with killing elves, I suppose?

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2012, 07:57:54 am »

Grimnir's still okay with killing elves, I suppose?

Yeah. I think.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2012, 08:21:07 am »

If its possible to still be dwarfed, make me a random soldier dwarf (Axe or Hammer prefered.) and name him "Oddmask". Because hes always wearing a mask. Why? Its stylish of course.

Also.. hes a psychopathic serial killer whom's victims are those that are enemies to the fortress. He wants to be productive in his killing, at least.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:24:08 am by Masked_Hunter1825 »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2012, 08:22:37 am »

Feel free to give me material to work with. And I promise, I'll definitely try to spice things up a bit. It's all just set-up right now.  ;)

Oddmask, which squad would you prefer to be in? Grimnir's or Gavakis'? Gavakis' is neutral but weaker while Grimnir's is radical but stronger (though less radical than Blackdiamond, who are radical and powerful). Or you can think of something else, that's cool too.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 35