Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 79959 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2013, 08:31:41 pm »

I'd be the first to join the modding community

SHSL MODDER RIGHT HERE|
<------------------------|
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2013, 11:02:41 pm »

Interesting. I have no idea what to do though. Do I have to conquer stuff to get Arkhe income?

KillerFrogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2013, 11:15:48 pm »

This looks better then what I had imagined based off the description, gonna give it a try now.

(yay for devs posting on this fourms :), I doubt I would've found this without this post being bumped)

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2013, 05:32:16 am »

I'd be the first to join the modding community

SHSL MODDER RIGHT HERE|
<------------------------|

Very well, I guess I could squeeze in mod support once I start working on alternative ages. But that'll take a while yet.

I'll be adding several mechanics first that would automatically make every mod incompatible after each release, so I don't think there is much point yet.

Interesting. I have no idea what to do though. Do I have to conquer stuff to get Arkhe income?

There are several ways to gather Arkhe. Conquest and extraction is perhaps the fastest and most stable way, but also the brashest. Scouting investments and calling on favours under the correspondence menu can some times be as profitable.

If you are in dire need, plundering through expeditions and the collection of tributes through envoys can also give you a relief.

(yay for devs posting on this fourms :), I doubt I would've found this without this post being bumped)

I agree! I've actually discovered many interesting games since I starting watching this forum.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2013, 06:12:36 am »

Downloading now, hope it is as good as it sounds. First impressions later today

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2013, 09:31:06 am »

After many months of poor, time wasting development decisions, I've recently finished a new version of the game!

You can now roam as an outcast if you don't have a base anymore, but you'll be exposed to the dangers of each place and your enemies.

You can also learn abilities during the course of your explorations that you'll be able to use later at your home or while wandering the colony. These work like regular actions but are somewhat more predictable.

You'll also be able to start the game as a merchant venturer with a ship with which to engage in the newly implemented, but still basic maritime trade.

I've also removed some annoying stuff and increased starting resources slightly. If you want a greater challenge, you can still start the game as an outcast with no resources or base.

Here's a changelog.

Change Log:

* Players can now start as or become outcasts during the course of the game. Forcing them to wander the different territories while persecuted and exposed to greater dangers.
    * Every territory has new dangers for outcasts and 2 new encounters for all players in addition to their 10 old ones.
    * Each territory has an ability, trade or skill that the player can learn while visiting and employ in the future either at home or while visiting other territories. Players will be able to do anything from conjuration rituals to experimenting on corpses, prophesying the end of the world or drawing action comics.
    * Seafaring skill has been changed into Ferrying. Representing each unit's capacity to carry goods and individuals overseas rather than the unit's seaworthiness.
    * Added maritime trade. You can now buy trade licenses and use units with Ferrying value to engage in overseas trade. Local Tendencies and other fronts' variables influence your profits.
    * Preliminary oversea fronts are now realized and visible in the "Colony" screen.
    * Explorer players have been changed into Merchant Venturers. They start with "a battered freighter" and a Ferrying value of 35, allowing them to engage in maritime trade right away.
    * You can now export units that you manufacture and train. The return will depend on the unit's Size, it's Experience and other oversea fronts' values.
    * Instant afflictions have been replaced with an expanded Weariness system. You won't lose stats automatically anymore, instead your character will have to have over 100 Weariness before afflictions can take place.
    * Certain actions can now lower your Weariness and the Local Tension while visiting territories or staying home.
    * Renascents will rarely become unavailable when staying at home, providing more flavour.
    * "Hanging around" with a renascent is not completely useless anymore. It will lower your Weariness depending on how generally nice the renascent in question is.
    * When losing at the Shelter/Refuge, you will be kicked into outcast mode instead of automatically losing the game.
    * Lovers will now miss you while you are outcast. This will show you different flavour messages but will bear no real effect.
    * 4 new lobbies were added to the game.
    * Lots of important bugfixes and minor tweaks.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2013, 09:40:47 am »

Woah, cool! I'll have to download again and check it out!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2013, 06:24:46 am »

Woop! Woop! I had been waiting for the release. Thank you for keeping on working on it!

After playing it pretty intensively, I must say this is a strangely addictive game. I like the new additions, they add depth into the game and more to do.

However, I feel the pacing of the game could do some work. As it is, the game has two difficult points - the very beginning and the time after you've taken over a couple of territories, due to the constant attacks. When you are, for example, close to 100% faction population due to immigration reforms or close to assembling the artifact, nothing comes around to resist you.

Winning the game is a little empty since you get just "you won" sort of thing. Maybe in the future we could try to take over the world, so after winning Arrakens we could go on to some other location, till the whole world belongs to the faction you fight for? With resistance getting harder every time, naturally. Maybe leaving your fellow Renascents as governors in the places you take over and depending who you leave achieving different results.

The game crashed only once for me and haven't encountered any big bugs. I've noticed that you might still get the same location twice on the island or the same interest group twice, though. Likewise, if an interest group is destroyed, it is replaced by a new iteration of the same group, instead of a new one.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2013, 10:52:04 am »

Some form of resistance would be nice indeed. I think I want lobbies to be a little more jealous of prosperous players, perhaps even the future oversea territories could be jealous, but I'm not sure how to approach that yet.

I also admit that winning is currently little more than a way to reset the game with dignity. Ideally, in the future each victory in a cycle would count towards a greater victory over several eras.

Removing duplicated terrains and lobbies is an ongoing thing that will require more content variety, but I can do something about lobbies replacing themselves right away.

Was the crash one of those already fixed or is it a different one?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2013, 02:17:19 am »

So I have no idea what the fuck is going on.  Some harpoon-savages have apparently decided they're going to win the Influenced/Stalwart conflict by killing the entire Influenced population two or three people at a time.  Conversely we seem to have no forces at all, sometimes I think I'm the only Influenced in the world.

I found three pieces of the Prototype Human and started dating my friend the frog goblin, as well as a prostitute.  I started working as a "talent scout" and things seemed a little sketchy, a little casting-couchy.  Then the harpoon-savages destroyed my base, I found myself homeless in the Arrakan(?) Tribunal zone, and after a few weeks of scavenging I got imprisoned for life, which is strange because "life" for me is forever, and I'm not sure why I didn't just kill myself and respawn somewhere else, erasing my captors' memories.

Also it's apparently impossible to make any money, and I'm an "adventurer" but as far as I can tell there are no adventures to be had.

Interesting game, I'll try some more tomorrow.
Shoes...

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2013, 08:41:15 am »

Interesting observations. I appreciate this kind of feedback as it really helps to clear blanks and doubts in following releases. Besides they're kind of fun to read.

Conversely we seem to have no forces at all, sometimes I think I'm the only Influenced in the world.

Having allied forces being more active around could be fun, but I wouldn't want them doing the player's work unless the player requests it in some way. I'll think about it.

I got imprisoned for life, which is strange because "life" for me is forever, and I'm not sure why I didn't just kill myself and respawn somewhere else, erasing my captors' memories.

I've always envisioned imprisoned renascents as kept in some sort of dark pit with a straight jacket while being force-fed some kind of gruel once a day or whatever, but I did failed to convey that image. Come to think of it, it's not too bad an idea to allow players to play and very rarely escape game overs. I might allow that in the future.

Also it's apparently impossible to make any money, and I'm an "adventurer" but as far as I can tell there are no adventures to be had.

Adventurers are in an unlikely position to make big money. They can get lucky but more often than not they'll have to struggle to keep a positive balance and resort to renascent partners, which are free to hire and maintain. I was also thinking about allowing renascents to wander the territories so that players could contact and hire them while visiting those territories instead of having to offer contracts and start rituals to get them.

As for the lack of adventures, if you mean, as I understand, classic questing and dungeon raiding, that might happen in some form at some point in the future but I haven't put much thinking on that yet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2013, 11:12:38 am »

I got imprisoned for life, which is strange because "life" for me is forever, and I'm not sure why I didn't just kill myself and respawn somewhere else, erasing my captors' memories.

I've always envisioned imprisoned renascents as kept in some sort of dark pit with a straight jacket while being force-fed some kind of gruel once a day or whatever, but I did failed to convey that image. Come to think of it, it's not too bad an idea to allow players to play and very rarely escape game overs. I might allow that in the future.
100s or 1000s of years later, you somehow manage to free yourself or you were finally neglected enough that you died... but don't remember that bit, thinking you escaped, somehow.

New Status: -Sanity

What do you do?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2013, 08:40:18 am »

This seems very interesting, definitely going to give this a shot! Thank you for keeping us updated Vaccean :)

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2013, 11:17:02 am »

100s or 1000s of years later, you somehow manage to free yourself or you were finally neglected enough that you died... but don't remember that bit, thinking you escaped, somehow.

New Status: -Sanity

What do you do?

Sounds about right. There could be all sorts of randomly chosen torments for players involving insanity, surgical mutilations and other unspeakable horrors.

This seems very interesting, definitely going to give this a shot! Thank you for keeping us updated Vaccean :)

No problem. There is going to be a new release in a few days with a few minor bugfixes and some new token content, nothing too impressive though.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2013, 09:45:37 am »

The game now has a forum of its own, I'm just too lazy to register there I think. Some others might be interested!

Vaccean, have you thought about refining the mechanics of a region being destroyed? I think it would be cool if, instead of removing it completely from game, it would turn the place into a new place called "Wasteland". You might have a few varieties of the ravaged wasteland, so there could be several in existence at the same time. Then maybe the player and/or a vote in the council could rebuild the place at a huge cost? Or alternatively, put something new in place.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27