Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Self-propagating creature?  (Read 4563 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Self-propagating creature?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 07:19:15 am »

Hmm. Random_odd_guy, you my be thanked in the credits of a mod I'm helping with soon!
Dwarf Fortress: Reloaded.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 03:29:21 pm »

B cannot be done to my knowledge (Once transformed you cannot be transformed again, no matter what), but if the creatures can reproduce then creatures that were transformed with a B-like syndrome can have offspring that can do A and also a B-like syndrome.
In it's true sense of "having a group of creatures where they all can clone themselves", B is impossible, yes. You can however have a group of clones with "one true clone" hidden among them that can create copies or a "queen bee" type unit that spawns a bunch of little units.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 06:35:48 pm »

Hmm. Random_odd_guy, you my be thanked in the credits of a mod I'm helping with soon!

Good to know, I've never been in the credits of something before, incidentally.

B cannot be done to my knowledge (Once transformed you cannot be transformed again, no matter what), but if the creatures can reproduce then creatures that were transformed with a B-like syndrome can have offspring that can do A and also a B-like syndrome.
In it's true sense of "having a group of creatures where they all can clone themselves", B is impossible, yes. You can however have a group of clones with "one true clone" hidden among them that can create copies or a "queen bee" type unit that spawns a bunch of little units.

Upon using the werewolf and necromancer files in the INTERACTION EXAMPLES folder, and removing the tags that prevent them from interacting with each other, you can raise your own fallen limbs as zombies, which will turn into full you's upon full moon, and who can also raise more zombie limbs.

One cannot create something from nothing via interactions, but turning OTHER things into what you want is entirely possible, especially if they regenerate lost limbs.

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 01:43:52 am »

What if you had two castes in the replicating creature called say "Alpha" & " Beta" both identical in their replication process where Alphas turn into Betas and Betas turn into Alphas thus perpetuating the replication indefinitely this would be great for say a Sentiant Yeast where (idk) randomly a Beta would turn into a Gama or Delta which could be mutations and unable to replicate at that point
Have a wonderful day

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 02:10:54 am »

Actually, they can all transform others, they just can't regenerate. Once something has a transformation applied to it, it cannot transform again until it turns back into its original form. For permanent transformations, the subject loses all ability to transform again.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 02:17:47 am »

What if you had two castes in the replicating creature called say "Alpha" & " Beta" both identical in their replication process where Alphas turn into Betas and Betas turn into Alphas thus perpetuating the replication indefinitely this would be great for say a Sentiant Yeast where (idk) randomly a Beta would turn into a Gama or Delta which could be mutations and unable to replicate at that point
Nope. Creatures can only have one transformation active at a time. As such the options for cloning/spawning are:
1)Having the creature turn other creatures/dead body parts into copies of itself.
2)Having the creature create creatures from nothing through the process I outlined earlier
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
3)Have the creature do both.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 02:26:58 am »

Actually, they can all transform others, they just can't regenerate. Once something has a transformation applied to it, it cannot transform again until it turns back into its original form. For permanent transformations, the subject loses all ability to transform again.
i must disagree, what you write is still true but if you make a fast transformation (for a few urists of time) when the creature turns back it will be healthy again => so it regenerated (i played an adventurer with this mechanics ;) but he lost all his equipements everytime and stats become random)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 02:36:39 am »

i must disagree, what you write is still true but if you make a fast transformation (for a few urists of time) when the creature turns back it will be healthy again => so it regenerated (i played an adventurer with this mechanics ;) but he lost all his equipements everytime and stats become random)
If it turns from human -> regenerator, it can't then turn from regenerator -> regenerator 2. Only something that has never been transformed can do that. As such a permanently transformed creature cannot be transformed again, and a creature that has been temporarily transformed cannot be transformed again until its first transformation is over.

Seriously, I've tried, it just doesn't work.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 03:04:40 pm »

A 'Transformed' status is lost if the creature dies and is revived (that is, it will retain its new form forever, and will be able to transform again).  So this should work:

1. Make a creature transform into an auto-breaking creature for a short time (body, limb that boils at room temperature, grasping body part attached to that limb)
2. Make it revive the corpse piece
3. Make it transform the corpse piece into a new, 'transitional' creature, programmed to die instantly (like having an auto-boiling head)
4. Make it revive the transitional creature's body, and immediately transform it into the creature you are actually trying to spawn (you may need to change the creature's tile to make it look right)
4. Make it kill the new creature using a special interaction that cannot target a creature with a particular syndrome class
5. Make it resurrect or animate the dead creature, and give the newly revived creature a syndrome with the preventative syndrome class to ensure that it will not be re-killed

The newly resurrected creature should now be able to transform as a normal creature would.  Granted, working out the AI for this might prove to be a challenge.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 06:27:21 pm »

or you could just put the transformation description tag so it ends with START:0:END:1] and the transformation will literally last for 1 second in game time. set it so you can target yourself with it, and activate whenever you want, and you are good. (for turning into an identical creature, setting it at ONE time unit means you can immediately use it again, assuming you set the cooldown time to 1 or 0)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 07:09:45 pm »

A 'Transformed' status is lost if the creature dies and is revived (that is, it will retain its new form forever, and will be able to transform again).  So this should work:

1. Make a creature transform into an auto-breaking creature for a short time (body, limb that boils at room temperature, grasping body part attached to that limb)
3. Make it transform the corpse piece into a new, 'transitional' creature, programmed to die instantly (like having an auto-boiling head)
4. Make it revive the transitional creature's body, and immediately transform it into the creature you are actually trying to spawn (you may need to change the creature's tile to make it look right)
4. Make it kill the new creature using a special interaction that cannot target a creature with a particular syndrome class
5. Make it resurrect or animate the dead creature, and give the newly revived creature a syndrome with the preventative syndrome class to ensure that it will not be re-killed

The newly resurrected creature should now be able to transform as a normal creature would.  Granted, working out the AI for this might prove to be a challenge.
That's... brilliant. A pain in the ass to execute, but brilliant.
or you could just put the transformation description tag so it ends with START:0:END:1] and the transformation will literally last for 1 second in game time. set it so you can target yourself with it, and activate whenever you want, and you are good. (for turning into an identical creature, setting it at ONE time unit means you can immediately use it again, assuming you set the cooldown time to 1 or 0)
Won't work on something already transformed.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 06:26:00 pm »

That's... brilliant. A pain in the ass to execute, but brilliant.
Won't work on something already transformed.
No, but by doing your reanimation shenanigans, and THEN doing this, (or instead of RAISE DEAD, you could REVIVE (which doesn't make them a zombie, but brings them back to life)), which would allow you to raise your severed limbs, which could then transform into full health, as well as yourself, an infinite amount of times.
Pages: 1 [2]