Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deadly secretions and wells?  (Read 1242 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deadly secretions and wells?
« on: November 10, 2012, 09:30:37 pm »

So, I just managed to kill one forgotten beast, who had dangerous blood, with only one loss... but now I have 2 forgotten beasts on my map. One doesn't bother me too much as he's a bronze humanoid who can't reach the actual fortress... The other though, a great feathered lemur, is swimming through the cavern lakes, secreting it's deadly toxins...

Now, the problem here is that my well accesses this cavern directly. So, does a well filter water and make it suitable for drinking, or will it still include the toxins in it?

and... if it does, should I even bother removing the well? I mean, my dwarves always have plenty of booze, so it'll only be used for cleaning wounds wont it? And what use do I have for wounded soldiers? May as well speed their death onwards..
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Deadly secretions and wells?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 09:51:44 pm »

Wells don't purify the water, so it will contain the lemur toxins. This may be fatal, or just annoying.

If you kill a vampire in your well (so it bleeds, i.e. put a retracting spike at the bottom of the well), then dwarves that drink from the well will also drink the vampire blood and become vampires themselves.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 09:56:59 pm »

Ok, so it'll still be dangerous (to what extent is unknown), but do I actually want to remove the well? What disadvantages does it have if I'm confident of booze supply
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 09:59:54 pm »

Is there any other bodies of water in the cavern not connected to that one?
Unf.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 10:06:45 pm »

No, but I got 2 more layers of caverns... Just not with water in convenient locations. And the caverns are my only source of clean water. I guess if I get desperate I'll just have to pump some water into a reservoir to clean it out

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 10:08:58 pm »

If any of the water is still safe, you could possibly channel it and wall it off.
Unf.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 01:17:00 am »

Never assume your booze supply is secure, plus dwarves resting their wounds will only take water.

So get that well to somewhere clean!

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 07:07:38 am »

And what use do I have for wounded soldiers? May as well speed their death onwards..

Depends... Do you want an experienced soldier or a legendary smith to die from a broken toenail or a minor graze? Because it's what will happen if you don't have a water supply. Just saying.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 11:27:31 am »

Wells don't purify the water, so it will contain the lemur toxins. This may be fatal, or just annoying.

If you kill a vampire in your well (so it bleeds, i.e. put a retracting spike at the bottom of the well), then dwarves that drink from the well will also drink the vampire blood and become vampires themselves.
Do vampires kill each other for blood (do they feed on each other) and has anyone tried a vampire exclusive fort?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 11:35:18 am »

Do vampires kill each other for blood (do they feed on each other) and has anyone tried a vampire exclusive fort?
They don't, because vampires don't sleeps. They have to wait for someone to sleep before they can feed.

And I've heard of a few high vampirism forts, it's pretty much sober fort but without sleeping and eating dwarves ( and nobody drinking the water )

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 01:17:16 pm »

Just a note, vampire dwarves don't require anything short of sustenance, even blood if you don't mind them getting tired.

Vampires don't feed on other vampires.

Water is used to clean wounds. Booze is used to sate the dwarven thirst. You can survive on booze in a non-militarized fort, or if your soldiers are adept at not getting wounded and even then, water is mostly only used in more grievous injuries if I recall correctly.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 04:53:31 am »

Water is used to clean wounds. Booze is used to sate the dwarven thirst. You can survive on booze in a non-militarized fort, or if your soldiers are adept at not getting wounded and even then, water is mostly only used in more grievous injuries if I recall correctly.

A bedridden dwarf will only drink water, though. So any wounded will die of thirst without water.
Or did this change since DF2010?

djsmiley2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Milk Me
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 04:59:03 am »

Dwarfs can't wash without some access to water.

The secretions may cause issues simply via contact IIRC.
This is Dwarf Fortress, everything has a fetish for socks.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 05:04:02 am »

A bedridden dwarf will only drink water, though. So any wounded will die of thirst without water.
Or did this change since DF2010?

Nope, not changed. They'll bring water to any thirsty dwarves, really, and will bug you with not being able to find buckets errors if they can't find one or a water source to scoop it up.

Happens to me a lot with dwarves too obsessed at working :D

Dwarfs can't wash without some access to water.

The secretions may cause issues simply via contact IIRC.

Generally safe if you make gloves/mittens and sock/shoes for everyone, but not for the pets!