Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe General Thread.  (Read 5014 times)

Urist McMagicJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe General Thread.
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:23:49 pm »

So I've heard a bit about this game, well at least enough to spark my interest.

As far as I know it's a freeware game, in which you manage a transportation company, linking factories and transporting goods, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I downloaded the game and booted it up, but couldn't make heads nor tails of it so I searched this board for a thread on it, hoping to gain further insight but was unable to find one. I know a few of you play it, so I thought a thread in which veterans can share tips and information with newbies such as myself, as well as general discussion on the game itself might be a good idea.

Link to the game: http://www.openttd.org/en/

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe General Thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:54:28 pm »

The "Open" signifies not only free, but open source.  It's based off the original Transportation Tycoon Deluxe, which was an old game for floppy drive made by that same guy who did Sim City and Roller Coaster Tycoon.  The original game is so old now, they they just did it again.

Love the game though, played for endless hours.  Should rename it though, honestly, "Train Station Simulator" would be more accurate.  Still plenty of fun, and the prospect of multiplayer is pretty hot.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:19:35 pm »

The "Open" signifies not only free, but open source.  It's based off the original Transportation Tycoon Deluxe, which was an old game for floppy drive made by that same guy who did Sim City and Roller Coaster Tycoon.  The original game is so old now, they they just did it again.

Love the game though, played for endless hours.  Should rename it though, honestly, "Train Station Simulator" would be more accurate.  Still plenty of fun, and the prospect of multiplayer is pretty hot.

Chris Sawyer had nothing to do with Sim City.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:57:00 pm »

Did he not?  I could have sworn...  Creatures, then?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 06:59:00 pm »

Nope. And there's a perfectly good wikipedia article on him so you don't need to keep guessing.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Sawyer

Sorry, would have linked it but the post was originally from my phone.

Needless to say, he sort of "peaked" at the Rollercoaster/Transport Tycoon series. At the same time, he was adamantly against modding for his games. Purposefully making it hard to do the sort of stuff that OpenTTD makes easy, even essential.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 10:37:36 pm by sluissa »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:10:40 pm »

Ah, ding ding ding!

This is a pretty awesome, game, I actually re downloaded it yesterday. Realy fun!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:15:25 pm »

A couple years ago, we had a forum server or two going for about a week. With the right settings, it can make for somewhat interesting multiplayer, and is really easy to set up.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 07:18:31 pm »

A couple years ago, we had a forum server or two going for about a week. With the right settings, it can make for somewhat interesting multiplayer, and is really easy to set up.

I would be interested in doing another server. Even though I'm pretty nooby at this game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 07:37:51 pm »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 07:45:23 pm »

I loved the old game. You could force cities to build on sea level, and then breach the dikes, flooding them all. It was good fun
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 07:57:32 pm »

OTTD is fun, make sure you browse for .grfs (mods essentially) because they can really make it much more entertaining. The mods that add earlier equipment and such are my favorite... nothing like starting with horse drawn carriages and sailboats. :P

An industry mod is definitely nice too to make things a bit more complicated on that front too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:00:54 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 08:26:13 pm »

Played OTTD and liked it but imo Railroad Tycoon 2-3 did better at modelling a economy.
AND you could influence it by buying out farms/factories as well as creating your own (factories only for balancing reasons).

I really loved shippping raw materials from MY farm/mine to MY production building and then shipping the final goods to wherever they were needed.

Also i think Simutrans is a bit more... hmm... built up compared to OTTD... but it's also a whole lot uglier and harder to get a grip on.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »

A tip we found out from that last game: always turn off inflation. We left it on. Then we played the same map for several IRL days. Everything was so expensive by the end that no one could even afford their upkeep, let alone build new lines.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 08:36:24 pm »

From what i remember inflation increases the running/building costs but also increases income by the similar (if not same) ammount... unless the costs rise a bit faster than income in whitch case the game turns into a DF no win scenario.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:26:21 pm »

IIRC, revenues increased more slowly than the expenditures.
Pages: [1] 2 3