Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Porfil'd forges. How-to?  (Read 894 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Porfil'd forges. How-to?
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:20:01 pm »

Hi!
I'm managing my dwarves works mostly by manager.
Current situation:
I've got 4 forges, 3 of them assigned to 3 different guys via profile.
1 Legendary Armrsmth/Weaponsmth
1 Legendary Weaponsmth
1 Legendary Blacksmith.

When I order to make some copper barrels, all 3 forges are used, stopping my adamantine battleaxes production, and if I do not manage the issue all the work is stopped in 2 non-blacksmith forges. Also the order never ends (e.g. items that are not made in armory & weaponary are still ordered to being completed there).
Is there any way to stop this behavior without having to cancel wrong orders inplace?
Thx!
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Porfil'd forges. How-to?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:23:21 pm »

Nope, managers give order to all avaliable workshops of appropriate type. Best you can do is to put in jobs and suspend them ( so dwarves don't do them, but still take up job slots ) until it's full and only what you want to be worked on is there.

Are you making lots of stuff, like a few batches of 30's?

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 05:30:29 pm »

Yup. Few bunches of 30's.
Actually first fortress with loooots of goods and good infrastructure.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 05:32:43 pm »

Well. Then I advise you to use R epeat instead, and let it stop when you're flooded out or runs out of material :D

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 06:51:26 pm »

DFhack has a utility that let's you set up 'R'epeat orders and will suspend them (and re-initiate) them based on parameters set by you. So you could say you wanted to have a target of "x" barrels on hand at any given moment with minimum "x-y" and max "x+y".

It won't assign labors to any workshop and it won't allow repeat orders to be erased. So you can tell each individual workshop what you want produced there, and tell the utility how many you want, and you don't have to worry about shortages or cancellations mucking up your system or about producing millions of lead goblets because you were busy doing something else for too long.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:07:29 pm »

I think give to forge, might also help here.  Worst they can do is produce lots of cancel job orders.  Limit forge to specific dwarf, limit his access to a specific bar pile.  When say silver maces comes up, the two not linked to silver bar stockpile will produce spam...  When say rose gold coins comes up, the two not linked to rose gold stockpile...

This is not how I do it, but I think it might just work, however, it'll produce link nested mess, that you'll forget about in 3days of on and off playing.  That's why I don't use it.  I prefer to not have to flow charts with my entertainment time. 

I don't use manager for forge work.  I like to use manager for mechanisms, food, booze, and web collection.  I don't like web collection to be automated, too risky.  Some other sweeping jobs, I use it for, too.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:29:07 pm »

DFhack has a utility that let's you set up 'R'epeat orders and will suspend them (and re-initiate) them based on parameters set by you. So you could say you wanted to have a target of "x" barrels on hand at any given moment with minimum "x-y" and max "x+y".

It won't assign labors to any workshop and it won't allow repeat orders to be erased. So you can tell each individual workshop what you want produced there, and tell the utility how many you want, and you don't have to worry about shortages or cancellations mucking up your system or about producing millions of lead goblets because you were busy doing something else for too long.

dfhack command is "workflow".  It is awesome.  Just type it with no arguments and it give a fairly complete help.

Drapestar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 11:04:47 pm »

if these guys are the only ones working the forges and are only legendary in a different skill each then set the workshop profile to only allow legendary dwarfs to work in them. combine that with them only being allowed to do that job with dwarf therapist and then only the weapon smith will make your weapons regardless of which workshop they are listed in.

i use that all the time with mine and it works really well except for when they go on break.
1) kill parents
2) rename batman
3) if the child survives until maturity, make him a militia captain

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 11:14:06 pm »

dfhack command is "workflow".  It is awesome.  Just type it with no arguments and it give a fairly complete help.

Actually all it'll do then is make "cancelled" jobs become suspended rather than completely cancelled, so that all you have to do is go back to the workshop and unsuspend when you want more (rather than search through all the menus to find the item you want again).

Research the arguments: they help. The workflow command is the main reason my dwarves always have booze.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 12:50:06 am »

You can also hit "p" over the workshop to access the work permissions menu and either only allow the forges to your legendaries by finding them in the list and designating it for them only, or by setting minimum skill requirements to master/legendary
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?