Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: The United States of Europe  (Read 16971 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The United States of Europe
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 05:01:09 am »

I have no idea if it could work, but a more unified EU does appeal to me.

Okay, chiefly because I just want to see Europe considered a nation for mapmaking purposes. Especially if colored - imagine the size of that beautiful blue blob!

Blue, are you mad? It should be magenta or my country will secede!

Exhibit A: Why we can't have nice things a US-style overarching government in Europe.

I'm only semi-joking, Europe currently has far too many and different histories and cultures to be governed centrally without someone forcing it down our throats. I'm not saying it will be impossible forever, but right now there's far too much mistrust of the politicians in Brussels for them to do more than try to influence member state politics. It doesn't help (at least here) that the EU is reeling pretty badly from the crisis, while our own (Swedish) government has handled it surprisingly well.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 05:49:48 am »

The real question isn't even "could Europe handle a US" it is "why should we even want a US in the first place?". And there are no reasons for that.
Love, scriver~

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 05:54:09 am »

Those questions are interconnected anyway, we can't handle a US because no one (except the ever-present small minority there always exists for any given opinion) wants a US.

For the record, I don't want a European federation either. The "nice things" part of my previous post was the joke part of the semi-joke.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 05:56:30 am »

I would just love for Europe to join into a single nation, then start calling itself the 'Greatest nation on earth', call its head of state the 'Leader of the free world' and start wars with smaller nations for reasons not fully understood by the public.

The US would totally have to take a step back.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 06:06:01 am »

So, we're already bog down into cynicism.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 06:19:28 am »

I'd be quite happy to have a United States of Europe, only I don't like that as a name. We need something more dignified, with a bit of history. Also Brussels is too boring to be the capital city of such a powerful nation, and the 'euro' is a silly name for a currency.

So, my suggestion is to rename it "The British Empire", move the capital to swinging London and call the currency 'Pounds Sterling'. I cannot see why any reasonable person would object to such proposals.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 06:30:03 am »

Couldn't we make the capital Rome and call it the Roman Empire? Not sure what they used for currency.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 06:46:32 am »

Denarii, of course.

I, however, don't see much use for a stronger integration. It's already problematic as it is. Before EU, we didn't have as ridiculous laws/directives as we do now and it was also more difficult for foreign interests to manipulate the legal system. (Ban on snus, IPRED, FRA etc.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:54:26 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 07:06:01 am »

On the one hand, I wouldn't mind a european federation, seeing as I am a believer in a world government. If we are ever to face the stars we need to stop thinking of ourselves as countries but instead as humans of planet earth. The realistic hand of mine says we are far from ready for that and even a "small scale" thing like a european federation would collapse due to differences in cultures, economies, religions, old grudges etc.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 07:12:25 am »

I for one think it would be an interesting thing to see what states would group together in a divided North America..
But that would be derailing the thread.  :P
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:13:58 am by Ultimuh »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 08:56:43 am »

Couldn't we make the capital Rome and call it the Roman Empire? Not sure what they used for currency.
Denarii, of course.

The inflation would be unthinkable! Let's to with the Swedish Empire (No Russians Allowed) and the Realm-Dale currency instead.

I, however, don't see much use for a stronger integration. It's already problematic as it is. Before EU, we didn't have as ridiculous laws/directives as we do now and it was also more difficult for foreign interests to manipulate the legal system. (Ban on snus, IPRED, FRA etc.)

The worst stuff is such as them banning Sweden from checking for animal diseases (that we don't have ourselves in Sweden, because, you know, we actually expect our farmers to take.care of the animals here) because "it not free competition". Because obviously having healthy stock is not something you should be able to compete with. Same with morals or environmental concerns. You want the government organisations to serve meat from animals that hasn't been horribly mistreated, or products that hasn't been shipped around all over Europe? Too bad, government-affiliates bodies are only allowed to buy based on price, so the schools have to serve Italian tomatoes, French salad and Balkan meat.
Love, scriver~

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:54 am »

Hey, we treat our livestock in the Balkans better than most other places! Mostly due to lack of modernization (most animals are simply pastured), but still.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 09:14:15 am »

Differences Schmifferences. A federal EU would not mean giving up all local power, just like a municipality has some autonomous choices, which sets it apart from the country. The only question is where those boundaries are going to be. I'd be all in favour for merging all foreign affairs into the EU, for instance.

Also, I love how 'muricans that have never been here "know" it can't work because we all hate each other... It's all relative, my friend. As much as the average south-Italians are scumbags, they're still more preferable than, say, an American ;)

The problematic protectionist actions by member states (such as the stuff scriver mentions), that benefit the producer and not the consumer, remain. But we also have those troubles with trade agreements with non-EU countries, so it's unfair to blame that on the EU as a whole.

First thing that needs to go is the Greeks (never should have been allowed in, I called it 10 years ago, now it's probably too late, just kick em out as soon as they paid back all their shit, then they can re-apply like a 2nd world country), Strassbourg is next (WHYWHYWHY it costs so much money), next is democratising and more transparency of the European Commission.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 09:29:47 am »

I have no idea if it could work, but a more unified EU does appeal to me.

Okay, chiefly because I just want to see Europe considered a nation for mapmaking purposes. Especially if colored - imagine the size of that beautiful blue blob!

The largest problem I can think of with the beautiful blue blob is that stupid Switzerland-shaped hole in the middle :(

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 09:31:01 am »

We can draw it as light blue and pretend it's a sea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10