Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a substitute for my stolen Ipod touch.  (Read 1590 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a substitute for my stolen Ipod touch.
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:52:39 pm »

Since my Ipod touch generation 2, which i used exclusively for internet acces,  got stolen last Saturday, i need a new device.

It needs to be able to go on the web, preferably also be able to play mp3 files.
Also, touchscreen.

What is the cheapest working device i can get my hands on with these qualifications?
It doesn't have to be new, just not damaged.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Need a substitute for my stolen Ipod touch.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:53:42 pm »

How did you post this without an internet-capable device?!
My wooden badge was delicious.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:00:13 pm »

How did you post this without an internet-capable device?!

I used my computer.
I just don't want to have to go lugging my pc around everywhere i want internet.

Oh,  didn't mean that i exclusively used my Ipod for internet, i meant that internet is the only thing i use it for.
Hope that cleared it up. ;)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:27:23 pm »

A generic internet tablet (non Apple product) will probably be cheaper and more qualitative(as in more quality for the same price) than buying another pod.

I'd suggest an Archos, but I'm not going to because my last experience with those ended rather bad and abruptly. The thing went brick after I installed an official update to try and solve a recurring crash issue.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 03:05:04 pm »

By the way, it doesn't have to be something new, could be an Ipod Touch generation 1 for all i care.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 04:05:37 pm »

Protip: Most, if not all, apple products are overpriced. hell, they sold Windows for $70 more than it costs to buy it yourself for them to install it on your mac.

really, it seems apple products are more shine, less use.
Apple's are elitist, hence they drive up the price.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:47:18 pm »

Protip: Most, if not all, apple products are overpriced. hell, they sold Windows for $70 more than it costs to buy it yourself for them to install it on your mac.

really, it seems apple products are more shine, less use.
Apple's are elitist, hence they drive up the price.
Correction: Apple drives up the price, because they've realized they can capitalize on an elitist audience. :P
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 07:36:49 am »

Woa woa woa, ain't noody got time for a apple vs windows flame war.
Back to the topic.
I need a new tablet thing.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 07:39:38 am »

Not much of a flame war going on if there's nobody to argue with. But eh.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 06:30:45 pm »

The last generation of Samsung Galaxy Player devices seemed very capable, and they should be fairly cheap now that the new Galaxy's are out.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 01:14:47 am »

The last generation of Samsung Galaxy Player devices seemed very capable, and they should be fairly cheap now that the new Galaxy's are out.

Pretty much recommend any Samsung Galaxy device, so +1 to this. And this one looks to be, like, 150-200 bucks. Unfortunately, it looks like the device really is for casual use (less than 512 MB RAM, Android version 2.x.) If you want something to do Internet and cool apps like the iPod Touch could do I'd recommend one of the newer "plan-free" Android devices.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 12:09:01 am »

My girlfriend has bought two large Coby Kyros tablets running Android. The first has an effectively dead screen because it was packed improperly on the outside pocket of a carry-on luggage which we were forced to check and it got bounced around too much. The second initially came with a vertical blue line in the screen and we sent it back for a replacement which came before we could ship the faulty one back! So good service, but the hardware has durability issues.

Also, in general, I absolutely hate this computer-using-a-cell-phone-OS thing they have going. I can't get her Android tablet to use Flash which is pretty much required to do a lot of entertaining stuff on the Internet, there are marketplace restrictions, etc. The only reason I can think of for such stupid restrictions is that it's Fucking Marketing. If it's a hardware issue let me buy a tablet that runs XP out of the box and I'll be happy. I want to interact with the Internet and any software I like exactly the way I do on my laptop, except touchyscreeny.

Anyway, I suggest you just use a smartphone. Probably not an Ithing because they're too expensive for their specs. I like Boost because it's an inexpensive and good quality plan though I'm not a globetrotter so if you are you might want to research coverage of various mobile plans.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 12:36:58 am »

Back to the topic.
Nobody is saying that Windows is good; I don't think anybody believes that. We're just saying that Apple is bad.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 12:44:48 am »

Back to the topic.
Nobody is saying that Windows is good; I don't think anybody believes that. We're just saying that Apple is bad.
Not bad, just horribly overpriced and overhyped. And the gated garden/community can go stab itself with a fork.