Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 227489 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 07:19:00 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Search for any tomes, scrolls, napkins, etc, with anything relating to arcane lore. Read them.
Also, eat some meat.

You grab some meat off the wrack and start eating. You fail to recognize the flavor, so you quickly assume that it wasn't sentient... still it is meat. And you are hungry.

After depleting half the towers supply you head down to the first floor and start to sift through the rubbish, looking for arcane lore to read. You find a few scrolls that seem to be in a language you understand, but the hand writing and dialect quickly puts you off. It seems to be advanced fire manipulation techniques - and you would have to start with the basics. 1d20 = 5 + 1(Your eyes work better at night) = 6

"Grrrr.... dammit. Why dose magic have to be so -unintelligible- complicated on paper!?"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:20:54 am by Weirdsound »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 08:27:34 pm »

That locked box, is likely to have something of value, but may also have magical protection on it. Maybe we should examine it, and if we think it is safe... toss it down the stairs just in case. See what happens, if nothing bad happens and it remains unopened attempt to smash it open or look for key and open it.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 12:11:06 am »

Search for some rope and chains to tie the wizard up with. Also a piece of cloth to use as a gag.

Do not throw box down the stairs, there may be valuable breakable stuff inside it.

EDIT:

I added up the total rankings (1-4) for each skill, using a 5 when somebody didn't include it in their list of four. The four (or five) lowest totals were included. Here is my math. Please tell me if I made a mistake, again it was late and I was tired when I did it.

My Tally:

You only seem to have counted four people's votes instead of the 5 votes there were?

My tally(Ignore if this means we only get 4 skills):

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:00:31 am by Demonic Spoon »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 01:55:02 am »

Okay. I must have missed someone. By that tally it looks like you all get 6 skills, which I'm not going to do. :). If you guys want to retcon communication in instead of unarmed combat, I'll allow it. Other than that I think I'll leave things as they are.

Character:

Search for some rope and chains to tie the wizard up with. Also a piece of cloth to use as a gag.

You search the untidy first floor quite thoroughly for about thirty minutes before comining to the conclusion that the Wizard keeps no rope around. 1d20 = 2 + 1(Your eyes work better at night) = 3

That locked box, is likely to have something of value, but may also have magical protection on it. Maybe we should examine it, and if we think it is safe... toss it down the stairs just in case. See what happens, if nothing bad happens and it remains unopened attempt to smash it open or look for key and open it.

The small lockbox is far more heavy than it would appear to be. This is encouraging, perhaps the density of the box is magical in nature. You do however doubt that it would be damaged by a one story fall, so you haul the bugger to the roof of the tower, where you stand for awhile and take in the view.

The tower is on top of a good sized hill, allowing you to see miles in any given direction.

To the east is what appears to be a human town. For some reason steam rises from it. Further east still is what appears to be a military camp, likely defending or besieging the town.

To the north is a broad patch of forest. A shiver in your stomach informs you that it is enchanted and likely good aligned. Such a place however is almost certainly home to elves. You fight the compulsion to attack them at once and avenge your fallen race: charging into uncharted woods is a poor idea, even for a night troll.

West of the tower is an expanse of plains. You don't spot any sort of civilization, but neither do you doubt that such an expanse must be dotted with primitive animal-men tribes.

The view to the south is dominated by several snow-capped mountains. Between them run a system of canyons that must surely be home to fearsome beasts. Another tower sits on one of the higher peaks, but you can't tell from here wether it belongs to another wizard, goblins, or even dwarves.

You can't help but enjoy the view for a bit until the lockbox in your arms returns to your mind. On second thought you might break whatever is inside along with the box... but then again if you don't drop it you will have hauled the heavy thing all the way up to the roof for nothing.

"To drop or not to drop, that is the question?"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:59:50 am by Weirdsound »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2012, 02:24:47 am »

Do not drop. Use bedsheets to tie up wizard. Also the dwarf wasn't chained? Guys, we should make the wizard our minion so he can teach us fire manipulation so that we can control MAGMA.

I'd prefer communication over night creature empathy or unarmed.

EDIT: Mmm, if it is possible to tatoo our arms later we should have gone with double arms for more tatooing action. Also, we need to tatoo our legs. Magic jumpdance!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:21:15 am by Demonic Spoon »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2012, 11:04:06 am »

Dance, magic, dance?

Anyways, I'd like to retcon unarmed combat to communication, drop the box down the stairs, and bind the mage.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 12:56:42 pm »

Character: (I'll give it another turn or two, to see if anybody else has input on the matter, before I apply the Retcon)

Unsure of what to do with the box, you leave the heavy thing on the roof for now.

You return to the wizard and begin the delicate task of modifying your own stable time loop spell to allow you to bind him with his sheets. The time loop was so well weaved that it is a pain in the butt to mess with, however after several long hours the man is bound both by magic and cloth. 1d20 = 13 + 4(Skill) + 1(Tattoos) - 2(Trying to mess with a critically successful spell) = 16

As you finish you notice a hint of orange in the sky out the eastern window. Dawn will be upon you soon and you are exhausted. If you release the wizard from the time loop now, the sunlight will counteract the dark nightmares you have given him. Night Trolls need only sleep once every week or so, but it has been a few days for you, and your participation in the time travel ritual was rather draining.

Although the wizard is bound, and you suspect your spell will hold for another 18 hours or so at least, you can't help but question the wisdom of falling asleep in his home while he is still alive. You figure that you could go another 24 hours and sleep with the next dawn, but you will be miserable by the end, especially if you do a heavy amount of casting.

"Why did it have to be me? I miss my father already... *yawn*"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:48:41 pm by Weirdsound »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2012, 04:26:33 pm »

Sleep for a bit now, deal with the wizard when we're at our best.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2012, 04:33:54 pm »

sleeep.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2012, 05:12:46 pm »

Character: (Communication has been retconed in place of unarmed combat.)

Seeing as the bed is already taken, you head down to the basement, where you find a straw mat in one of the empty prison cells. It is a pity you had to travel light, what you wouldn't give to have your old goblin leather bed roll now...

You lie awake for an hour or so pondering your situation and your goals. Your dad said it was your job to repopulate the race and ensure that a genocide spell could never be cast again. This means that eventually you must convert a mate and find your way back home to destroy the ancient tree. You look forward to the latter; your father promised to stash as much of his treasure trove as he could where only you would be able to find it. The prospect of reproduction however makes you shiver. Although your father advanced particular parts of your body so that such activities are possible, you are still rather young and see the prospect of converting mortal females as an icky necessary evil.

Your mother in private of course offered separate advice; instructing you to live your life as you please, and to allow the Night Trolls to die off in perhaps a blaze of glory. A tempting idea for sure, but then again your mom was an elf once, and you know that she still somewhat related to her old species and their motives...

Eventual you doze off and enjoy sweet nightmares...

You wake up to the sound of mortal voices upstairs. You groan. You can't tell in the dark dungeon, but you suspect that it isn't quite nighttime yet. You rub your eyes and listen in to hear what they are saying.

"Looks like I'm not the only one who has it in for old Pyrost... That is some nice eon manipulation right there. Esmeralda, search the tower for whoever did this; be careful. They may want him alive which could be trouble for us. I'm going to try and get Pyrost out of the loop so I can kill him."

"Yes father."

"*Yawn* -unintelligible muttering- It's too early for this."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »

Esmerlda sounds like a female name. We should eat the two male mages and take her as our troll-wife.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »

Esmerlda sounds like a female name. We should eat the two male mages and take her as our troll-wife.
Hey, that we should!  Can we hide with camouflage and hypnotize the woman so we can convert her.  Then undo the time loop on the mage while the man is distracted by something, and our wife and we can each eat one?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:33:49 pm by Thecard »

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2012, 05:31:32 pm »

Sneak quietly out, look at the people. Then plan how to slay the men and bed the women.
Sig

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2012, 05:34:32 pm »

Sneak quietly out, look at the people. Then plan how to slay the men and bed the women.
The woman is going to be the easiest of the three to deal with, I'm thinking.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2012, 05:38:58 pm »

The woman is going to be the easiest of the three to deal with, I'm thinking.
You're assuming it's two men and a woman by hearing one name?
Sig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 143