Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 226921 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #930 on: December 09, 2012, 04:00:23 pm »

let's not mix different kind of magic in one item

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:46:17 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: December 09, 2012, 05:52:21 pm »

We only have one necklace?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: December 09, 2012, 05:59:41 pm »

Who said anything about mixing magic? We've got plenty of trinkets, including the otherwise useless ones we started with.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: December 09, 2012, 06:11:26 pm »

Elf tooth necklace looks like  magical... That what word charm imply, IMO

Besides jewelery is quite fragile, i prefer something hard for useful item, it's not like we have problem keeping the buckler equipped

Besides looks like you don't understand what buckler is, our hand is not occupied by it, only slightly burdened
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 09, 2012, 06:14:41 pm »

I'm well aware of what a buckler is, but that doesn't mean we want it strapped to our arm 24/7, if we were enchanting it for better combat, sure. But for a healing object i think it would be better to have something out of the way that we don't have to worry about, a piercing was suggested earlier and that's a pretty good idea.

I'm not sure what exactly you are saying about the necklace bit, i would appreciate it if you make sure your sentence makes at least some sense before posting.
Are you saying that the necklace may be magical? (it isn't) or that people may look at it and think it is magic?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 09, 2012, 06:27:51 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Necklace sounds good.

You give Gwendolyn your charm necklace and take back your buckler. "Try enchanting this instead. Its a charm by brother made me. Lots of sentimental value. Less cumbersome and I can wear it while I sleep without looking foolish."

---

Back downstairs you decide to interrogate the prisoner with some force. Alice is instructed to notch an arrow and fire if the prisoner fights back. You enter the strange woman's cell and begin to beat her with the shaft of Scorchedjade. You cause some bruising and you finally feel her fear spike just a tiny bit. 1d20 = 13 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 2(Artifact Weapon) - 2(Broken Leg) = 10

Not sure if you want to do any real damage to her quite yet, you decide to make with the questioning. "I don't think you quite understand what you are dealing with here girl. I am a Night Troll. I can make your life a LIVING HELL if you don't answer my questions!" 1d20 = 20 + 1(Skill) + 1(Perk) +1(Target is shaken up) = 23(Nat 20!)

That gets the girl talking, but the response isn't what you expect. A smile erupts across her face "A night troll? For real? Nocteclaw's blessing upon you. I'm a mermaid, don't let the legs fool you; just a product of the enchanted jewelry."

You blink. A mermaid follower of Nocteclaw, the goddess of darkness. Your father was an Atheist, and raised you as such, but you know Nocteclaw is the god of choice for pious Night Trolls. You recall one of your much older brothers visiting the cave and talking about Merfolk. They come from a land so far beneath the waves it is always night, and the pious among their ranks view Night Trolls as divine beings who punish the land dwelling mortals for harvesting Merfolk Bones.

They have a reputation for being a stoic people, hard to scare and thus being poor prey, so many coastal Night Trolls would choose instead to use them as allies. You recall that they can be converted, but doing so in a way to allow them to survive on land is tricky.

"What are you doing so far inland?" You manage to sputter out, not quite sure how to take this revelation.

The Merfolk answers. "My father, brother, and myself heard that Phyros, our worthy rival, was in mortal peril. Dad wanted to challenge him to a duel so he would have the chance to die with honor. We were too late. Once the mourning period concludes we intend to seek out Foghorn the Vile, the Wizard who killed him, and slaughter his entire family."

Alice turns white and becomes afraid.

Your communication skill went up! I'm in a rush and will figure out what that means for your perks and skills when I get back home!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 09, 2012, 06:40:28 pm »

"He's dead; you wanted him dead. Why bother killing Foghorn's family and angering the fell creatures allied with them?" Crack knuckles or something to subtley indicate that we are such a creature.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 09, 2012, 06:56:46 pm »

Tell her that you killed Phyros and Foghorn because hunger overtook you

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: December 09, 2012, 07:05:42 pm »

Don't assume that she is an idiot. She isn't... Everyone know that Foghorn is alive... And they want to kill his family, too

I agree with GreatWyrmGold, it's exactly what we need to say. Also we may say that we aided in killing Phyros and would kill him ourself if Foghorn didn't came

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 09, 2012, 07:06:46 pm »

"He's dead; you wanted him dead. Why bother killing Foghorn's family and angering the fell creatures allied with them?" Crack knuckles or something to subtley indicate that we are such a creature.

I feel like this is a better option than lying.  We just decide what to do with her based off of her reaction to this revelation.

Better to not leave some merfolk wandering around ready to kill Foghorn like some kind of time bombs.  We better warn him as well, he seems quite happy to give us free shit so we should at least tell him.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 09, 2012, 07:16:13 pm »

Merfolks are our potential allies, too. Let's not say Foghorn " someone want to kill you and your family" because he will take countermeasures

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 09, 2012, 08:03:44 pm »

Myself I'd choose Foghorn over some mermaids that randomly try to kill useful wizards like idiots.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 09, 2012, 08:09:20 pm »

Perhaps tell her we killed Phyros?  But otherwise, +1.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 10, 2012, 03:28:59 am »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The mermaid glances at you. "I agree with your logic. Nocteclaw works in mysterious ways. This is clearly her will."

You shudder at the mention of religion. Your father would have her killed on the spot. "So if I let you go, you will tell your family to leave Foghorn alone?"

The mermaid shakes her head. "Merfolk society clearly outlines the responsibility one has to his or her most worthy rivals. One such duty is to avenge their death if it doesn't come by your hand. I am pious before all else. I was sent to serve you and bask in the glory of your darkness. My family however pay only lip service to the old religion; there is no way in hell they would forsake their duty to Phyros just because a sign from god told them to do so."

"So you wont do anything stupid if I let you out of the cell?"

Kelpmier III kneels before you. "I will not do anything stupid. I will serve you until my life ends, and leave my father to stumble down the godless path to his death. Now lay hands upon me and we shall recite the binding prayer of master and servant together."

-Shit, now I have to find a way to get out of a prayer I don't know, or admit to this Zealot I'm not religious...-

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 10, 2012, 06:01:05 am »

We are slowly creating a  female army....

And becoming religious is a wise idea, Gods are the best allies, yes? (they do bring their own problems, but.... ) And we dislike our father, right? So let's do something that would piss him off

I think we should say that our father, as well as most other night trolls were atheists and while we understand that abandonment of Nocteclaw was main reason why Night Trolls were exterminated that doesn't change the fact that we know almost nothing about Nocteclaw including even the most basic prayers

Also ask about healing prayer, even if Gwen is successful with enhancement, speeding up the healing is a nice possibility
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 143