Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 226999 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #765 on: December 05, 2012, 02:27:36 am »

Excellent plan gents.  Though we may want a skip of the more aggressive type if the unicorns are waiting to receive us when we come out of warp.  That way they should at least be somewhat off guard.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 05, 2012, 02:47:03 am »

IMO, it's to early to do that, it's not a reliable way to run away and unicorn horn should be pretty valuable

Also, even minor fail in time displacement most likely will turn us in a sitting duck ( remember sending elf's head into the future, we may repeat that and just blink to the moment when we get impaled by the horn)... And who knows what badly failed self displacement can do. Last time when we self displaced ourself into the future it's ended badly. Yep I proposed that, but it was a bad idea

Also, leaving Gwen alone (and showing her that her husband is a coward) isn't something I like

Also, dirt displacement is more fun

Also, I don't like to get repetitive and use basically same spells
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 05, 2012, 02:50:27 am »

We're at an extreme disadvantage here, sometimes retreat is neccecarry. I believe this is one of those times, as there is very little we can do. You cite the risk of running, but the risk of fighting at such an extreme disadvantage is much more.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 05, 2012, 03:30:14 am »

I disagree, fighting doesn't put us in a situation when we can do nothing. (unless we get dead instantly , and that's not that likely in one combat round)

With jumping it's very possible that we'll disorient\hurt ourself and lose all chances for victory
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: December 05, 2012, 03:34:15 am »

We have next to no mobility, there is a good chance our magic isn't going to do a thing except in specific out-of-the-box thinkings scenarios, we're against two pissed off parents that quite possibly have magical ability and we can't do crap in a physical confrontation.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 05, 2012, 03:45:01 am »

Ok... So right now, the only two good things we could do are to either use the spear and hope one of the unicorns impales itself on it or use time displacement. Right. Or we could risk doing something we have never done before and have no idea if it even exists and try to displace dirt.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 05, 2012, 03:48:05 am »

Tell me something that I don't know. I know that fighting will be tough, but I think we have chances to survive. Most likely scenario - getting serious injuries, but it can vary from flawless victory with nice trophies to injuries + trophies to  injuries + nothing and too, well death.

But jumping away is putting our fate on one damned roll, either unscathed or automatically dead\severely imjuried. Way too big risk, don't you see?

and boo at you for choosing boring options :P

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 05, 2012, 03:52:11 am »

Making one roll that could prove fatal is much safer than making two or three rolls which could go horribly wrong for us and *also* prove fatal. The survival of our species is more important than our ego.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 05, 2012, 04:02:18 am »

So, more rolls = bigger chance of failure? Hm, strange logic. Yes if we make more rolls there are bigger chance that one of them will be bad. But there are far lower chance that 100% of the important rolls will be bad.

And yes, survival of our species is important, that's why I dislike unreliable way to escape, because I am sure that it has higher chances to get us dead than fighting using whatever means. Plus we may lose Gwen that way

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 05, 2012, 04:09:08 am »

Any ONE of those rolls can still kill us though. So yes, it still leads to a higher chance of us ending up dead.
Also, any combat related rolls that arn't magic that we make are subject to some penalties. One from being over encumbered, another for being unskilled.
While flinging ourselves forward in time would have a whole bunch of bonus's, including our Eon manipulation (one of our two greatest skills) our tattoos and our greater skill at using magic to fling things forward in time.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: December 05, 2012, 04:22:13 am »

Any ONE of those rolls can still kill us though. So yes, it still leads to a higher chance of us ending up dead.
What rolls are that dangerous? even failed dodge roll shouldn't be as bad as no dodging at all due to time displacement. I am sure that it's hard to get us killed by one bad combat roll

Also, any combat related rolls that arn't magic that we make are subject to some penalties. One from being over encumbered, another for being unskilled.
I know. That's why that situation is bad. But we have an ally, an artifact spear and magic.
I still don't understand why at character generation players chose  night creature empathy to some combat skill, it was an awful decision

While flinging ourselves forward in time would have a whole bunch of bonus's, including our Eon manipulation (one of our two greatest skills) our tattoos and our greater skill at using magic to fling things forward in time.
I know, +6 to the roll... even if get no penalties then we still need 5 or better to get result above ten... that's 20% chance of almost certain death... even 5(11) and 6(12) may be not enough

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 05, 2012, 04:36:52 am »

The only thing we don't know is how much of a bonus the artifact will give us and if/what the runes do.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: December 05, 2012, 08:00:24 am »

What rolls are that dangerous? even failed dodge roll shouldn't be as bad as no dodging at all due to time displacement. I am sure that it's hard to get us killed by one bad combat roll
Have you ever heard of "getting enormous stab wounds in your torso tends to be lethal, you video-game-expecting fool?" Internal bleeding, organ damage, external bleeding...unicorn horns are think and long. It's not gonna be pretty.
And, of course, one injury would probably leave us weaker and ergo more vulnerable to further attacks, as well as hindering time displacement efforts.

I know. That's why that situation is bad. But we have an ally, an artifact spear and magic.
I still don't understand why at character generation players chose  night creature empathy to some combat skill, it was an awful decision
We have only an ally with a freaking wooden sword, an artifact spear we don't know what it does (and it's made of gem--not exactly cutting-edge weapons tech), and magic which doesn't include any defensive magic.
We chose night creature empathy so we could get others to fight for us.

I know, +6 to the roll... even if get no penalties then we still need 5 or better to get result above ten... that's 20% chance of almost certain death... even 5(11) and 6(12) may be not enough
You're assuming failure means death. Heck, you're assuming a low success equals death! I'm guessing failure will either mean we don't displace ourself or we don't displace ourself as much as we intend, not that we die or go all frozen.
Let me give you a hint: Out combat bonuses are worse. That's a much lower chance of success. For many more rolls.

I vote displace ourself and run.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:48 am »

Or displace the ground under unicorn to make a temporary pit, which might suffocate/trap unicorn on reappearence

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: December 05, 2012, 08:09:58 am »

Yeah, good thing unicorns can't jump and aren't magical. Oh wait, wrong on both counts. And then there's the other unicorn.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 143