Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 227067 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #615 on: November 30, 2012, 08:46:36 pm »

So to comfort yourself over getting into more trouble than we could solve, we're going to murder children, who A. are nowhere near as tough as those we've been losing too and won't give any satisfaction, and B. have parents who will object to their children dying?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 30, 2012, 09:33:22 pm »

Why are we even killing them?

We're a night troll. We feed upon the terror and suffering of lesser beings. These children are most definitely lesser beings.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 30, 2012, 09:36:21 pm »

I get a lot of mileage out of this trope. It describes the being you're describing.
Are we desperate for food or souls? No. Is there any good reason to kill them? No. Are there good reasons not to? Yes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 30, 2012, 09:41:27 pm »

Is there a reason to not gorge ourselves?
A reason to not murder innocents and feed off the languish and grief of the families

To possibly getting a GIFT for feeding upon the fear of a child, the most vulnerable of enemies

(Would be nice to have a wife/child who has the ability to instill fear into a target?)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 30, 2012, 09:45:46 pm »

It's not stupid evil. Doing horrible things to people and overcoming dangerous gives us Gifts and seems to make us a more powerful Night Troll in general. We're not killing them for the evulz, we're doing it because doing so gives us benefits that outweigh the risks.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 30, 2012, 10:16:50 pm »

Of course, it's also hilarious.  Mustn't forget that.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 30, 2012, 10:41:55 pm »

Yeah, and remember that we are trying to cause terror.  We must make them FEAR THE NIGHT once more!

And we do want that chest.  If someone went to the trouble of enchanting it, it's got valuables.  Maybe we can get our wife or Leghorn to disable it.  And yeah to Grek's idea.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 30, 2012, 10:45:11 pm »

Lets try the Eon Manipulation to seperate the lock from the chest through time.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 30, 2012, 10:58:35 pm »

I don't think we should mess with magic we don't understand with more magic unless we have to, we could easily mess up and get zapped.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 30, 2012, 11:13:48 pm »

Yeah, let's wait for our wife to identify it first.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 30, 2012, 11:45:20 pm »

It's not stupid evil. Doing horrible things to people and overcoming dangerous gives us Gifts and seems to make us a more powerful Night Troll in general. We're not killing them for the evulz, we're doing it because doing so gives us benefits that outweigh the risks.
Um...
Quote from: Every single update recently
"Gift" perks can be gained by rolling very high, learning new skills, or through other supernatural means.
Not mentioned is major plot events. Killing some kids is not learning a new skill, a supernatural means, or a major plot development. I see no other reason, aside from the claim that we should glut ourselves. Both reasons for your side have been refuted, yet you haven't even mentioned the dangers from angering the children's parents and communities. We're trying to NOT be the monsters that were genocided all those years ago, we're trying to turn over a new leaf. Killing kids for no good reason doesn't help that.
Sig

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 01, 2012, 01:22:38 am »

Guys.  We are a night troll.  We can't do our thing without pissing some people off.  Doesn't really come off as a reason to me.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 01, 2012, 01:43:52 am »

I think we've already proven that we're extremely restrained and forward thinking in comparison to our extinct kin.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 01, 2012, 02:17:58 am »

*Mutters something about backwards thinking night trolls*
On another note, I think we should train a navigation skill later on.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 01, 2012, 02:29:18 am »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ooh! i had an idea i'm fond of, we could convince them that they awoke a curse that is now centered on them, scare the living crap out of them. Let's make the night something to be feared again. We could use a combination of dark manipulation and the terror of our presence to accomplish this.

Focusing your dark manipulation upon yourself, you create the illusion of an appearance even more frightening than your normal look! To the children you will appear taller than a grown adult and more hidious than your aunt Glurgomox! 1d20 = 18 + 2(Skill) + 1(Tattoos) + 2(Targets are in a poor mental state) = 23

Stepping from the bushes you stare at the female elf and roar at the top of your lungs! "Foolish mortals! You have unleashed upon yourselves the curse of the chest!"

The 'guard' screams at the top of her lungs. You wait a few seconds, and sure enough the other children peek out from their tents. "Know this! The curse will follow you for the rest of your days, bringing only misfortune and suffering to your lives... That is if I don't catch you here and now!" 1d20 = 13 + 1(Skill) + 3(Frightening Appearance) = 17

Fear rises to sheer panic in the kids as they bolt from their tent and scatter in all directions. The elf girl with the hurt ankle makes it only a couple yards from her tent before falling flat on her face. She lies on the ground, bawling like a baby as her friends abandon her to whatever fate you can cook up.

You crush the girls leg with a swift spring loaded kick to prevent her escape before turning your attention to the chest. The chest itself is made out of steel and still mostly buried. There is no way in hell you will be moving it any time soon. The lock, although runed and obviously enchanted, seems to be merely a small padlock made of rusted iron. You feel fairly confident you could just smash it with the right tool if you were willing to risk getting zapped.

The obvious assumption is that an enchanter wouldn't put a good enchantment on a subpar lock, you suspect Gwendolyn or Vindel would have no trouble disarming it.

There is plenty of night left to deal with the broken elf and the dead human and get to Oakworshiped or your tower before dawn.

New Gift Unlocked for a Great Roll!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 143