Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: So... Welcome, America, to your 51st? (Puerto Rico Thread)  (Read 15611 times)

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So... Welcome, America, to your 51st? (Puerto Rico Thread)
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2012, 11:41:49 am »

For that matter, you could say, "The President will always be an old white dude, because everyone is used to that."

That changes every 4-8 years, states dont often change, there is no comparison to black president or asian or flying spageti monster or chuthulu.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2012, 11:44:02 am »

We used to add new states all the time, we just ran out of willing territory until now. People have been waiting for PR to join up for a long time and have little reason to oppose it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2012, 11:47:01 am »

If thats the case then why didnt it get accepted the first time arround?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2012, 11:47:49 am »

What's "the first time around"? This is the first time they've wanted to, isn't it?

This is the first time around, they just took their sweet time.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2012, 11:48:46 am »

No, they have tryed before, do you even read threads?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2012, 11:49:22 am »

No, they haven't tried before, none of the other referendums passed.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2012, 11:51:01 am »

No, they have tryed before, do you even read threads?

Of course I do. And I started this one. I haven't heard of them actually requesting statehood before, and while I'm open to the idea being possible (Although, why would they keep holding the referendums then?), you might want to consider providing some actual evidence that this is the case, because I've never heard of it

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2012, 11:57:12 am »

I'd go pull up references, but I dont really care about proving a point right now, I'll conceed the point if you want to think it's got a chance go ahead, think that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2012, 11:59:52 am »

I honestly don't know if it's going to go ahead - as has been stated, there's a lot of political concerns, and it's a political process.

But you're arguments are honest-to-god stupid, pointless, without substance. I'm wondering if YOU actually bother reading threads, or if you just construct your own little fantasy-land where things happen for whatever arbitrary reason you've decided.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2012, 12:00:44 pm »

GG, you're getting confrontational again.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 08, 2012, 12:03:09 pm »

I'm with GG, ISP is being ridiculous.
No Gods, No Masters.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 08, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »

I can tell when I'm not welcome, good day, enjoy your pointless political conversation.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 08, 2012, 12:11:11 pm »

Perhaps there is a bit of confusion. Puerto Rico has held multiple referendums before. They've always ended up voting for "status quo". This year was different. "Change status quo" won the vote (by about 70%, iirc) and of the options of how to do that, seeking statehood was the option with the plurality.

So while this is hardly PR's first referendum on the issue, it's the first time it's gotten to Stage Two: Petition the US Congress to approve statehood.

Your initial argument was purely "Congress won't approve it because people are used to 50 states."

My counterargument (the more serious of the two) was that we were used to 48 states for nearly 50 years before adding Hawaii and Alaska, and they're a lot more distant than Puerto Rico is.

Everyone clear now?

EDIT: Or, y'know...do the whole "being butthurt" thing. That works too.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 08, 2012, 12:20:40 pm »

"Change status quo" won the vote (by about 70%, iirc) and of the options of how to do that, seeking statehood was the option with the plurality.
54% voted for change. And again, the plurality thing isn't so clear cut. There's a history in previous statehood referendums of opponents to statehood urging people to vote "none of the above" or leave the ballot blank, which is what we saw this time around too. When asked "What non territorial option do you prefer?" 470,000 people passed on the question. Only 46% of the population that voted in the first question actually supports statehood.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:48 pm »

Heck, wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans opposed practically everything resembling progress during the next four years.

And then blame Obama for the lack of progress.

Good sir, I am very interested to hear why you would want a united states of europe.

I just think it would be neat. Also, because a large portion of Finns don't want it - I'd like the idea of them getting slapped in the face by something like that.

Or maybe not the entire EU - just the parts that are doing well.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16