Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animal training questions  (Read 800 times)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal training questions
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:19:02 am »

Ok sooooo in one of my fortresses captured a king cobra and was able to train it to +trained+, but then the trainer just stopped training it...I'm starting to get a bit nervous about it going on a biting spree since it's been 3 seasons, how do I make it tamed/domesticated?

And how do I sell animals?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Animal training questions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:26:36 am »

As long as the animal's tamed enough, you can sell them within cage. I'm not sure how tame they need to be since I've not really used the taming system myself.

Build cage, assign animal to it, wait for it to be caged, unbuild and sell the cage with critter in it. Be warned, wild animals will escape when they pick up the cage :D

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:41:52 am »

The Trainer will keep it trained, but if he was busy with other stuff, the animals may revert to a wild state. I think the chance for that to happen depends on the skill of the animal trainer and your training knowledge (you can take a look at it somewhere in the z menu)

Offsprings will adopt the mother's status, and keep it. By breeding a tamed mother, you can get a fully tamed breed.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:43:11 am »

It'll slowly go down from +trained+ to like -trained- to semi-wild. Before this happens the trainer will come back and continue to train the cobra... only if it is release though, they won't continue the training if it's still stuck in the cage. So put him in a pen area, until the caravan comes and then put him back in the cage, deconstruct the cage and sell him.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:23:08 am »

The mother does not have to be tame to get tame offspring, I have several tame rutherers who were born *trained* or =trained= and became tame after one retraining session. You cannot get animals to domesticated though it seems, your knowledge will rise from "a few facts" to "general familiarity" after training a species many times, but not to "domesticated", even if you may get tame offspring.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:41:38 am »

I remember reading somewhere tame mothers would give birth to completely domesticated offspring that never reverts to a wild state.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:47:22 am by 0cu »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:21:20 am »

Yeah, that's true. However the training knowledge does not seem to rise to "domesticated". So you can have completely tame animals, that are practically domesticated, but your training knowledge is still displayed as only "a few facts".

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 11:13:41 am »

Thanks, I have a dream of training an army of giant felines and cave dragons, can cave dragons breed? I know regular ones can't.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:20:46 am »

Thanks, I have a dream of training an army of giant felines and cave dragons, can cave dragons breed? I know regular ones can't.
Nope, I don't see a CHILD tag on cave dragons' raw.
You can check out the raws on magmawiki and ctrl-f for CHILD
Roc does, it's closest thing I can think of, since AFAIK cave dragons don't blow fire, or you could pick up Jabberer or cave crocodile

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 11:30:43 am »

anyone have a link of how to add the tag, a friend did it once but I can't remember. After the cat and lizard army I hope to have and army of megabeasts but that's way in the future.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 11:34:12 am »

anyone have a link of how to add the tag, a friend did it once but I can't remember. After the cat and lizard army I hope to have and army of megabeasts but that's way in the future.
Pretty much just add [CHILD:1] replacing 1 with how long you want it's childhood to be, into the raw, I see it happening anywhere from the line after the creature name down to after population number.

Though I don't know if you need to regen or can just toss it on the save raw.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 11:44:56 am »

er...where do I find the raw.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 11:57:19 am »

er...where do I find the raw.

For base raw, it's in the folder raw/objects/ I'm not sure which deals with what animals specificly but I believe the one with underground and creature in it's name is the one you want if you're looking for cave dragons.

For save game, it's data/save/(pick which region your game is in)/raw/objects

All of the raws just need text editor, text search (ctrl-f in most program) and magmawiki could help with seeking the specific entries faster!

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 12:37:07 pm »

You can change the animal tags for your current savegame, just remember to edit the savegame raws, not the base ones. IIRC, the raws only apply to newly spawned critters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 12:49:53 pm »

IIRC, the raws only apply to newly spawned critters.
Most save raws apply to all creatures in the save, currently existing or newly spawned. In the case of the child token, it will cause any current creatures to start to have children, any young creatures will become adults at the new age limit, and any creatures that are still "children" but over the new child age limit will grow up at their next birthday IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2