Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dreamfall Chapters: Finally got around to it edition.  (Read 2246 times)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
Dreamfall Chapters: Finally got around to it edition.
« on: November 02, 2012, 10:34:41 am »

I was about to lose hope on this series but Ragnar decided make me smile.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/01/keep-the-faith-tornquist-talks-dreamfall-chapters/

EDIT: Obligatory throwing money at my screen comment.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
Re: Dreamfall Chapters: Finally got around to it edition.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:49:48 am »

Wow, this is absolutely fantastic. I had almost lost faith in this, too, but I'm very happy they pulled through!
I remember first finding a copy of the longest journey in a bargain bin, and I bought it alongside Evil Genius to take advantage of a 2 for 1 deal. Turned out that I enjoyed TLJ more than I enjoyed Evil Genius.

Really looking forward to more information.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »

TLJ and Dreamfall are both available on GOG, just sayin'. Maybe a bit overpriced considering their age (plus Dreamfall is a pretty short game), but they crop up in sales now and then.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:47:52 pm »

This is getting made?

I thought that this series had gone to the place where unfinished stories go to die, but apparently not. I'm really happy it's getting made, though, I loved TLJ and it seems like he's aware of that Dreamfall was a kind of a meh sequel. Hopefully this game is better, I'll be looking forward to hearing more.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 03:49:06 am »

I really liked Dreamfall, except for the horrible combat that was shoehorned in, now it was obviously not up to the same epicness as TLJ but it was a worthy sequel in my mind. That ending though made me sadder than a sad anglerfish so I can't wait to see the story finish, Zoë and April deserve better :p

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:33:30 am »

I really liked Dreamfall, except for the horrible combat that was shoehorned in, now it was obviously not up to the same epicness as TLJ but it was a worthy sequel in my mind. That ending though made me sadder than a sad anglerfish so I can't wait to see the story finish, Zoë and April deserve better :p

If anything combat actually weakens the plot itself.

The first half of the game's start builds you up as a serious martial artist with skills rivaling your master (if not far supperior).

DO NOT expect your character to actually use martial arts during the story. In fact even gameplay wise you will often be attacked by completely untrained bruisers who will just flatten you.

So yeah Shoehorned in may actually be litteral. It may have actually been shoehorned in given the sheer number of times I wanted to say "Just use martial arts!" and she didn't.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:40:43 am »

Red Thread/Ragnar Tørnquist is apparently setting up a Dreamfall kickstarter in the coming days, at which point the throwing of electronic money at screen will be possible.

edit:
And Kickstarter is live!

edit2:
Goal is an ambitious 850K. Reached 65 66 70K after a couple of hours though.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:20:34 am by olemars »

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 01:09:30 pm »

The Kickstarter is rather well-written.  A lot of the team seem to have come from the same place (Age of Conan/The Secret World/previous Dreamfall titles), but I actually view that as a good thing - they've got prior experience not just of delivering projects, but delivering them together.  Hopefully lessens the chances of friction.

Their target date (November 2014) is a fair way off, but again I think that's a good thing - if they'd said it'll be ready by the end of this year, I would've been concerned they'd be rushing it and would either miss the target or botch the game.  November 2014 sounds realistic without being so far away that it'll just drift.

And hell, it's Ragnar's baby, I'd like to think he's invested enough in it that it's a labour of love rather than just labour, so I've got faith that he'll get it done by hook or by crook, somehow.  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 01:58:27 pm »

I am going to be... cautiously optimistic.

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are in the small category of games that I actually finished.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 01:13:50 pm »

Kickstarter is at 520K now, over 60% of goal after less than 3 days, so the prospects are good for successful funding.

They obviously did their homework on how to launch a successful drive, and they've prepared for it since November. Media blitz with intervies and cover from major publications, created something to showcase in the pitch instead of merely lofty promises, even timed the launch so there are few other major drives competing for our wallets.

My only dislike is how they (and other developers) put various ingame changes as pledge rewards. Stuff like "your name as an NPC", "design your own NPC", "statue in your honour" and so on. Just feels like it cheapens the result, and also removes some of the artistic freedom crowdfunding is supposed to give them.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 07:10:44 am »

The Kickstarter is past 1 Million!  14 days to go!  Go Dreamfall go!

I wonder if it can pass the 2.44 Million mark left by the Oculus Rift to get into the Kickstarter top 10?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 07:35:53 am »

I just love the picture they made of the entire team doing the doctor evil pose.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 07:40:39 am »

Dreamfall was one of my biggest gaming disappointments (the others being Neverwinter Nights and post-Morrowind Bethesda). From a fascinating, captivating point-and-click adventure to a revolving 3D action-adventure-sneaker mutant.
I have no hope that the next chapter will be any better.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 09:08:58 am »

Fuck me I've just found out about it. I've got the fuzziest feeling now, and expect to remain in this state for a longer while.

Too bad I'm three days late for the kickstarter.

And I think I'm the only person in the world who actually liked Dreamfall more than TLJ, despite the atrocious design of some of the game mechanics.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 09:20:31 am »

And I think I'm the only person in the world who actually liked Dreamfall more than TLJ, despite the atrocious design of some of the game mechanics.

Nah, I'm with you on that assessment. It was short, pretty much on rails and combat was pointless, but it had great atmosphere. It probably helped that I played Dreamfall before TLJ, so I had no expectations.

They've got a paypal thing and most of the pledge levels from the kickstarter still available on their website if you want to get in.
Pages: [1] 2