Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm  (Read 23145 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2012, 10:04:01 pm »

No, because 10 was the last semi-decent one.

You can mildly dislike him. Save the hatred for his outfit.

His outfit was surgically combined with his body. Remember that segment where you had to run around avoiding the lightning bolts? Yeah, I must have spend hours getting the little bastard shocked over and over.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2012, 10:04:09 pm »

Would this be a bad time to mention I liked XIII?

Would it be a bad time that I think XIII-2 had one of the greatest gameplay inventions ever to grace extremely long RPGs?

A Recap!

It is the ONLY game I can think of... that does a recap whenever you start the game back up.

But seriously.. Disney can we have... like... not a comedy quality movie?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »

XII was amazing, aside from the grind inherent to the mechanics, and everything about Vaan and Penelo (who mercifully stop being important relatively soon).

EDIT: On topic because FFXII was star wars with a setting change and more plausible antagonists.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2012, 10:07:33 pm »

12 had potential but daaaaaaamn did I hate the battle system.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2012, 10:08:26 pm »

Yeah, I'm just in love with the plot and every character who isn't a street urchin.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 01, 2012, 10:08:39 pm »

XII was amazing, aside from the grind inherent to the mechanics, and everything about Vaan and Penelo (who mercifully stop being important relatively soon).

EDIT: On topic because FFXII was star wars with a setting change and more plausible antagonists.
According to my brother, FFXII is you playing as a cameraman, following Balthier and Fran around and watching Balthier be awesome and Fran's backside.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »

According to my brother, FFXII is you playing as a cameraman, following Balthier and Fran around and watching Balthier be awesome and Fran's backside.
That... is not entirely inaccurate. In the same sense that FFX-2 was a dressup game, I suppose. Both had genuinely intriguing aspects to them, but are also rather easy to mock.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2012, 10:10:45 pm »

Fran (read: Chewbacca as played by a bunny-eared elf) was never in my party, but I would categorize much of the game as going around watching Balthier be awesome. I'm kind of okay with that. Pretty much the only way to make Han Solo more awesome would be to make him British, and that's what they did. In fact, Imma go watch cutscenes now.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2012, 10:11:02 pm »

I ought to play X-2. I hear it's pretty fun, though the story sucks.

EDIT: This is still all ontopic because... um... Kingdom Hearts. Or something.
* kaijyuu shrugs
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2012, 10:11:27 pm »

Ok, so why are people INTENTIONALLY trying to derail the thread?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »

A buddy of mine played it, and apparently the combat system was actually fairly good.

3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2012, 10:13:54 pm »

A buddy of mine played it, and apparently the combat system was actually fairly good.
That was pretty much the only good thing about it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 01, 2012, 10:14:44 pm »

Would this be a bad time to mention I liked XIII?

Would it be a bad time that I think XIII-2 had one of the greatest gameplay inventions ever to grace extremely long RPGs?

A Recap!

It is the ONLY game I can think of... that does a recap whenever you start the game back up.

But seriously.. Disney can we have... like... not a comedy quality movie?

One of the Tales of X games on the playstation had a recap feature, where you'd press SELECT and a small voice acted avatar of one of your party members would feed you a soundbite hint as to what the heck your current objective is. It was really jarring having that voice there when literally nothing else in the game used voice acting.

Only problem was, the sound bites were pronounced so horribly, and the quality of them so low, I honestly couldn't tell what they were saying half time. This led to the inevitable time when I accidentally skipped over some plot important dialogue telling me what to do specifically, and then I couldn't tell what the hell my little SELECT hint was trying to tell me what to do, so after wandering the world map exploring and visiting places for maybe an hour or more I just gave up and never finished the game as a result.

But yeah, more games should have recaps. It's absolutely dumb that it took them until XIII-2 to finally figure out to jam some in there.

X-2 is good if you're ready and willing to ignore the many many completely stupid aspects of it and just focus on the magical girls switching between dresses that give them unique super powers.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 01, 2012, 10:16:05 pm »

That was pretty much the only good thing about it.
To be honest, the main issue with JPRGs tends to be the combat system, so that's a pretty significant plus.

I can take a dull story with fun gameplay. I can't take a good story with boring gameplay.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 01, 2012, 10:16:30 pm »

where you'd press SELECT and a small voice acted avatar of one of your party members would feed you a soundbite hint as to what the heck your current objective is

A "What am I supposed to be doing" is a feature that has been in a LOT of games.

Heck in Suikeoden the "What am I supposed to do" is a recruitable character.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21