Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soap consumption  (Read 2095 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soap consumption
« on: October 30, 2012, 01:39:29 am »

I used to have a lot of difficulties with soap production. Partly the manufacturing process (rock nut soap), partly consumption rates...

Now I tried making tallow soap, and it's been an entirely different experience. I made some stacks of soap several game years ago, and most of it is still there, even with the population of over 100.

Has it been changed in the recent versions? Right now it's pretty easy to make it.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soap consumption
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:26:28 am »

I think that making soap from tallow (dunno about rock nut oil) makes quite a lot of soap, a single bar has 10(?) uses I think.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:37:00 am »

Soap use has always been a bit buggy for me. Bugs with the lye (either in buckets or far too much of it being consumed for few soap bars) or dwarves refusing to use the soap.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:54 am »

In a previous fortress (DF2010 I think) I remember my huge stockpiles of soap were always disappearing within a month. I assume one dwarf had crippling OSD or something. Or maybe it was because I was using the Fortress Defense mod, and my dwarves went to clean themselves at the well after walking through the blood drenched fortress halls. My doctors never had any soap to work with, so all of my wounded soldiers got infected. I was churning out tons of soap, too, at least 50 bars per year with less than 200 dwarves.

A workaround for the extreme soap consumption might be to store loads of soap in the hospital, but I'm not sure. This seems to be working in my current fort, but the circumstances are different than the other fort.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:30:26 am »

There's nothing wrong with soap. It is used very slowly, as indeed, a single piece of soap can be used multiple times. If you micrimanage hospital stocks, it's not hard to stock the hospital with enough soap. It's not the lack of soap that gives my dwarves infections, rather the diagnostician's tendencies to go on break, the moment a dwarf is injured.
The only problem with soap at the moment is when a dwarf, that has lost the ability to grasp, wants to clean itself. It will get into an endless clean self job, that is only interrupted for eating, sleeping and drinking. Which is no big problem, as it does not spam job cancellation. It fixes itself once the dwarf regain the ability to grasp. Motor/sensory nerve damage would be a problem there though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »

Awesome, I was just wondering whats up with soap, and here's this thread.
So what's up with soap?  I had stocked hospital and plenty of soap and everyone died of infection. 
Soap doesn't seem to get used anymore.  I haven't seen a floor tile cleaned in forever.
Let me check the patch notes...
Nope nothing.
Dat soap.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 02:06:37 pm »

Awesome, I was just wondering whats up with soap, and here's this thread.
So what's up with soap?  I had stocked hospital and plenty of soap and everyone died of infection. 
Soap doesn't seem to get used anymore.  I haven't seen a floor tile cleaned in forever.
Let me check the patch notes...
Nope nothing.
Dat soap.

They do use it, there are bars of soap near my wells. Medics also use it to clean wounds.

It's just that they seem to use it way less that before. I'm counting like 5-6 bars per year or so.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 05:08:16 pm »

Five to six bars gives you 50 to 60 uses so that's actually a lot of cleaning. I've noticed that in immature fortresses my soap consumption seems relatively high. I've always attributed it to having more idlers. Also, distance and fresh water seem, to me at least, to be factors. In a receive fort built straddling a river, with a soap pile right on the edge, I felt that my dwarves were cleaning themselves every time they got dirty. I noticed my military making a mad dash to the river after each siege. And yet in the fortress before that one, I went through almost no soap until I bucket filled a reservoir from the river half way across the map.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:37:29 pm »

I think the difference might be that now you need to ndicate a water source for them to bathe in where before they'd just pick out their own water hole.  Just my observations though.