Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No-one Will Diagnose Patient  (Read 584 times)

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No-one Will Diagnose Patient
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:46:29 pm »

I have my hospital set up fine and many patients have been diagnosed and healed fine. This time, though, I turned off the diagnosis job I had for a guy with no experience, while he was about to diagnose the patient. Now, no-one will look at the patient, no matter who I enable.

Did the game basically say he was diagnosed and now ignore him, even though he still needs it? He's got broken bones, if the amount of injury matters.

Edit: They're not giving him food or water either. He's a dead dwarf walking (well, no, but you get it).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:12:26 pm by pbnjoe »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: No-one Will Diagnose Patient
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:16:48 pm »

Does the dwarf still have a yellow D in the Health screen, or is there required treatment listed?

Enable all the health skills on everyone, and have a couple of doctor dwarves for those times when you're in the middle of a burst job and nobody is free. A no-skill dwarf is slower at each individual stage than a skilled dwarf (though given the medical skills I keep getting on migrants, 'skilled' is very much a relative term), but a job with 50 dwarves able to do it will get taken up quicker than one with 1 dwarf able to do it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:34:09 pm »

Ach, he died while I was focused on my scout tower :( enabling diagnosis on every Tom, Dick and Urist has its problems, no? Isn't it possible for Urist to diagnose rotten lungs and have them removed, when the only problem is a broken finger? The fear of that made me disable it in the first place.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:07:45 pm »

Never had such an insanity happen to my dwarves ( the rotten lung vs broken finger thing). Did you had traction bench, complex bone breakage need it.

I'd not be surprised if turning off the job for the guy led to a bug, next time that happens, you could try deconstructing the bed to see if it helps. Diagnosis seem to be one of the jobs that don't need too much skill. It also helps to have dwarves which job is basically to do nothing but nurse, I think there're a personality trait that helps that too.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:31:41 pm »

Isn't it possible for Urist to diagnose rotten lungs and have them removed, when the only problem is a broken finger? The fear of that made me disable it in the first place.
I'm not convinced that ever happened, at least as it's presented. I've never had any problems letting the whole fortress play doctor, so if it ever did then the code was later altered so that only the speed of the job was affected.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:42:34 pm »

There is no drawback to turning on all the medical labors for all of your dwarfs.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 01:16:35 am »

There is no drawback to turning on all the medical labors for all of your dwarfs.

Your legendary +5 swordsman dying because a peasant surgeon lopped his necrotic toe off at the neck is no drawback?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:01:19 am »

I've found no drawbacks to enabling diagnosis on all dwarves. Quick diagnosis, followed by cleaning, prevents infection.
However, for the other skills, I'd rather have skilled dwarves. Not long ago, I had a dwarf start to bleed after a dabbling bone doctor applied cast. I fail to visualize the incident.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 06:04:50 am »

I've found no drawbacks to enabling diagnosis on all dwarves. Quick diagnosis, followed by cleaning, prevents infection.
However, for the other skills, I'd rather have skilled dwarves. Not long ago, I had a dwarf start to bleed after a dabbling bone doctor applied cast. I fail to visualize the incident.

Maybe jamming the broken bone through the muscles? Very inexperienced people trying to take care of broken bones are known to accidentally do that...

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 06:20:16 am »

Maybe jamming the broken bone through the muscles? Very inexperienced people trying to take care of broken bones are known to accidentally do that...

Urist McPatient has been stung in his rear left muscle by a bee!

Urist Mc Doctor pulls the sting with his right upper arm!

The sting is pushed through Urist McPatient's rear left muscle into his head, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!

Urist McPatient has been struck down.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.