Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends Mode: Getting tons of different ages?  (Read 811 times)

blaster395

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legends Mode: Getting tons of different ages?
« on: October 29, 2012, 01:38:45 pm »

For every map I generate, the game always goes from Age of Myth, to Legends, perhaps alternates between those two for some time, Age of Heroes, then gets stuck in an eternal Golden Age.

How do I make the histories more interesting and have a greater variety of different ages?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Mode: Getting tons of different ages?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 01:45:51 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Calendar#Ages

Not much other than getting lucky and fiddling with worldgen parameters or sizes

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:16:42 pm »

I'm wondering how you swapped back and forth between myth and legends. Legends is when megabeasts died off iirc, and I don't think any of them reproduce.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:27:22 pm »

It counts necromancer armies and werebeasts.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:02:00 am »

I'm wondering how you swapped back and forth between myth and legends. Legends is when megabeasts died off iirc, and I don't think any of them reproduce.

They do. Its rare (since megabeast are scarce and couples rarely met), but not unknown. I have seen families of twenty dragons.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:00:32 pm »

You'll only get one generation of dragons before having to wait a thousand years or so for the next though.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:31:10 pm »

A thousand years is how long it takes dragons to reach full size, not sexual maturity. I imagine that if the game allowed it, dragons would never stop growing. Like crocodiles.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.