Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege, ambush, kidnapper and thief frequency is way too high.  (Read 710 times)

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege, ambush, kidnapper and thief frequency is way too high.
« on: October 29, 2012, 03:23:22 am »

I get a siege and/OR multiple ambushes every single time a caravan comes from either dwarfs humans or elves. In between these, I get another thief or kidnapper at least once every two minutes.

And in between those two minutes, I'm spammed with HAS GIVEN BIRTH TO A GIRL/BOY, which pauses my game again. Gets frustrating.

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
Re: Siege, ambush, kidnapper and thief frequency is way too high.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:13:42 am »

I'd agree with you on that.

Sieges should be harder when they do come, but have 3+ years between them.

Ambushes/kidnappers should be frequent, but only while they fort is small and vulnerable, eventually they should learn better.

As for the children... I change announcements.txt to not re-ceneter or pause the game, and get rid of them entirely by using !!other means!!.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:17:12 am »

So far I haven't even had to bother with a military. The drawbridge totally stops every invasion in its tracks, and since they only seem to come when the caravans do, the caravan guards always end up slaughtering all the goblins, usually losing their pack horses in the process, which translates into "I get everything for free".

I've got something like 50 goblin cages filled with thieves/snatchers too.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:22:30 am »

So, have you you used the init. file to slow the tide of babies?

Ok, well, It doesn't seem like your getting the big sieges yet, if caravan guards are winning consistently. Many sieges will go up to a hundred or more, and some may be trap avoid. Hell, some may fly. I think they come less often later, from my experiance.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:17:20 am »

I've gotten swimming, trapavoid, building destroyers, flyers, ect. Nothing can get into the fortress, since there is one entrance, that flyers can't enter, and building destroyers can't reach to destroy.

And I don't know how to edit the .ini files :\

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 05:21:30 am »

I've gotten swimming, trapavoid, building destroyers, flyers, ect. Nothing can get into the fortress, since there is one entrance, that flyers can't enter, and building destroyers can't reach to destroy.

And I don't know how to edit the .ini files :\
You use notepad or whatever text writing programs you have, in /data/init/. The init.txt is pretty much display technical stuff while d_init.txt deals with stuffs that's interacted within the game.

They're both text files, not .ini files ( I don't see any of that one in DF program folders )

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 07:48:08 am »

Do you know if you were at WAR before you embarked?
Not sure why you're complaining, sounds FUN to me... I hate boring forts.
The baby thing is annoying, cause obviously it doesn't really mater for another 12 years.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:21:22 am »

Sieges can be made more frequent by wars, and by your proximity to the civilization in question.

Also: I also get way too many babbies, way too often. Useless mouths to feed for the next twelve years. I haven't even -had- a twelve year fort yet.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:19:49 pm »

The thought for losing a child reduces happiness by less than the increase from giving birth. If you could find a way to execute babies while they're still on their mother's backs, you will actually create a much happier environment for said mothers.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 12:24:10 pm »

The thought for losing a child reduces happiness by less than the increase from giving birth. If you could find a way to execute babies while they're still on their mother's backs, you will actually create a much happier environment for said mothers.

That is actually very interesting, though sadistic. I do care for my stupid little alchoholic midgets, if only in the way that a scientist cares for a particularly interesting experiment.

At any rate, setting a much smaller baby cap has made me a happier kat. No more than ten percent of the population of able-bodied adults.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Arek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 02:36:39 pm »

Upright training wooden spears are the answer. They are *almost* completely harmless to any dwarf wearing clothes (actually, single cloak or hood are able to block them completely on their own) while being surprisingly deadly to anything naked, such as... Babies! There are numerous methods of application, i would prefer to just get a few to the high traffic area linked to pressure plates nearby so they get activated often.
Side effect may include reducing the populace of various small animals in your fort, but that don't have to necessarily be a bad thing.
Also, it basically get the whole fortress casually "danger roomed", which is often seen as an exploit. In that case i recommend administering the cure somewhere isolated.
Or use bronze spears, and let only the strong survive (also good for training your doctors). The choice is yours.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 03:13:33 pm »

My next joke fort will have an adamantine danger room.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)