Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The ideal entrance  (Read 1411 times)

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The ideal entrance
« on: October 27, 2012, 07:02:51 pm »

I need a design for my entrance. I usually have an entrance into the mountain, with a mini walled area around it with a bridge. I have access to some easy magma if you have a good idea for magma flooding or something. I would like it to be based around killing some seiges.

I am open for anything. :)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: The ideal entrance
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:11:58 pm »

Some sort of Airlock, with tons of traps. If we want to get complete, it must be able to flood every room with magma, and a magma moat. Ballistae seem to be useful if utilized correctly.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:14:53 pm »

A path, winding down from the surface, into a deep pit leading to the caverns. It is to be lined with traps, intended to kill or knock the foes into the darkness below. For a bonus, make it your only entrance.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 07:20:00 pm »

So if I make a winding path to be flooded with magma, with like obsidian bridges which can be triggered to drain the magma afterwards. I could use those pumps to pump the magma in, right? If yes, I have a good idea for it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 07:20:15 pm »

I once made a pretty compact design, that had archer towers, a few distant, lined up ballistae, a magma cannon, a retracting bridge over a deep drop, and cave spider turrets, that kept the bridge permanently webbed-over, keeping goblins in place longer to drop them, as well as keep them in the right spot for the ballistae to hit them. I did have to add a roof later, when I found out that rain destroys webs.

z0

z1

z2
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:23:34 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 07:40:16 pm »

Very cool.
I always fail with archer towers. They always use tons of ammo to train only to go hunting and die to the perfectly timed goblin siege. .-.
How do you power your magma cannons? I don't really see a source of power. How deep does your chasm go? I tried like 10 levels in a pit trap once, and the goblins limped back over to my dwarves to wreak havoc one last time. Last question, since I'm a tileset newb, where are your ballistae located?

Thanks for showing me your personal design.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:46:03 pm »

Very cool.
I always fail with archer towers. They always use tons of ammo to train only to go hunting and die to the perfectly timed goblin siege. .-.
How do you power your magma cannons? I don't really see a source of power. How deep does your chasm go? I tried like 10 levels in a pit trap once, and the goblins limped back over to my dwarves to wreak havoc one last time. Last question, since I'm a tileset newb, where are your ballistae located?

Thanks for showing me your personal design.

The magma cannons are powered from above. You can see the horizontal N/S axles in the lower part of the bottom picture.
I had to pump the magma up about 60 z-levels on that map.
The cannon drains from my main magmaneering level, 5 levels down. It's fed by 2 pumpstacks. They're at the very bottom of the z0 and z1 picture. The engineering level allows for multiple fire modes. Single shot, burst or automatic :D
The ballistae are the 5 staggered bright yellow contraptions in the top room of the z1 picture.

EDIT: side note, this entrance was designed in a version where goblin siegers did not bring flying mounts yet. It's not safe against flyers.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:52:54 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 07:59:52 pm »

I see now. Where can you attach the lever(s) to the axles so you can control the lavaflow?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 08:03:45 pm »

Lava flow is fully controlled by floodgates. I can shut down the power though, but don't need to. Levers can be linked to gear assemblies for that purpose.

in the z1 picture, you can see the floodgate control (the cannon drops magma down 1 z-level through a grate when activated)
Code: [Select]
#   #=floor grate
X   X=floodgate
7   7=pressurized magma
I actually never used the magma cannon. The webbed bridge was enough to withstand sieges and megabeasts alike
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:07:39 pm by martinuzz »

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 08:21:49 pm »

Alright, so if I'm understanding this correctly, putting a floodgate directly in front of the pump will stop it from working until the floodgate is retracted. In which case, the lava spews out. Right?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 08:25:33 pm »

Sounds right to me.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 12:01:56 am »

My last good entrance was  ThatAussieGuy's magma doorstop. No picture right now, but damn was that thing effective. My current fort has an airlocked depot, that currently has a husk civil war occurring outside of it. Just wish the damn things would walk under the bridge so I could smash them...

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
  • ahh, its raining goblin blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 01:07:51 am »

Ahh my entrence back then was this really really really long hallway... it spammed the perimeter of my map... it was 6 wide, and had 4 drawbridges. It was lined with TONS and TONS of cage traps... all made from either copper or wood (dam elves)(Thanks Santa). and if any one gets to the end of the map, it opens up to a higher elevated roof with Archers lined up at the fortifications. (That's were the 2 of the drawbridges go). I trap them in, and Clean them up. and i get me some good old amusement for my arena and blacksmith.
ahh, its raining goblin blood everwere

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 05:23:48 am »

Hmmm. I don't think i'm there yet, (my only exit):

There were some ramps and stuff there which i decided to remove for cage traps, as you can see, after looking at this thread i took serious consideration at my defense :P

Although, THIS IS MY ENTRANCE GUARD (i have 2x of them (the other is slightly weaker), romantically engaged, which is quite cute):

I do need to find some better defense, they can manage 20 gobbos (that's where the scar is from), but need to work out what i'm doing against, lets say 60+ of them.
I must admit there's something excedingly satisfying about just meleeing them all to death though.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 08:06:53 am »

Simple. If two dwarves can handle 20 goblins, train a full squad.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2