Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Puppy vs Goblin (War Dogs Suck)  (Read 4036 times)

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Puppy vs Goblin (War Dogs Suck)
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:45:35 am »

War Dogs suck. They suck a lot. I put a captured goblin in a room with 5 war dogs. I unlocked their cages. The goblin single handedly killed all of them. I checked and the goblin and not even a tiny frigging scratch. And then I put a newborn puppy in the room. The puppy got its legs shattered but didn't die. And then an epic match happened. The puppy broke 5 limbs of the goblin (foot, toe, finger, hand, hand) and just got its nose cut off. The puppy managed to make the goblin vomit. And the puppy actually went around dodging but sadly died. But still, it gave the goblin a really good beating. And then I opened the door and the goblin went outside, limping. Two Wardogs came. They could barely damage an injured goblin. The goblin had to be shot by arrows. Puppies are shit awesome!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy vs Goblin (War Dogs Suck)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:48:22 am »

Was the goblin armed, armored, and trained? Those are huge advantages, especially since goblins have a size advantage.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:55:20 am »

I also find dogs massively overrated and started embarking without them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:03:11 am »

Dogs have their uses. Primary goblin-killing method isn't one of them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 12:03:24 pm »

War dogs are nice for early on against kobold thieves and spotting sneaks, and if you start breeding a lot of them you can send an OMGZERGRUSH of war dogs loose on whatever you'd like: caverns (to die horribly), goblin prisoners (for the lulz), butcher shops (oh wait...)

Personally, I like having an execution pit filled with some war dogs if I don't have anything more exotic. Dropping a goblin 10 levels or so to break his legs on the floor before getting mauled by ten war dogs can be satisfying to watch.

If you like the thought of war animals, you can always train some cave crocodiles for when the dogs are obsolete.  ;D
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 12:06:20 pm »

Was the goblin armed, armored, and trained? Those are huge advantages, especially since goblins have a size advantage.
I wonder why the puppy did a better job.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 12:07:53 pm »

Dogs have their uses. Primary goblin-killing method isn't one of them.
Indeed. Dogs vs armoured knight, knight wins. Armoured knight + dogs vs armoured knight, not so much.

Plus they're great for soaking up bolts. Attach them to your meatshield peasants for double the meatshield.

I wonder why the puppy did a better job.
RNG, puppy size/strength and all that.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 12:12:51 pm »

Dogs are for spotting enemies, killing wild animals, and distracting gobbos during combat. They're a supplement not a replacement for your military.

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 12:26:14 pm »

I use my war dogs as early alarm system and bird killer squad (at least kea stop to steal wagon stuffs). Later, with a good number, i send then as meat shield (imagine one dog bite the goblins leg and you awesome axe-dwarf decapite this poor bastard) so i don't think war dogs suck, they are just dogs.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 12:43:33 pm »

Animals are generally pretty useless against properly equipped invaders on their own. They're useful as distraction, lookout, meatshield, or food, though!

No, you can't butcher your own fallen tame critters unless you zomifies them.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 12:49:45 pm »

Yeah, they're not as useful for actual war as the name implies, but they  do make a nice distraction.  I usually pasture mine at the fort entrance and let them handle any wild animals who come to call.  Plus if goblins and kobolds come, they slow them down long enough for my military to reach them. 
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 06:03:41 pm »

I've killed all female dogs in my fort, and am waiting for nature to do it's work for the male part of the population. I've upgraded to war / hunting grizzly bears.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 06:23:33 pm »

I've killed all female dogs in my fort, and am waiting for nature to do it's work for the male part of the population. I've upgraded to war / hunting grizzly bears.

Do you have a steady supply? The benefit of dogs is that they reach maturity very quickly I think it's three years until a grizzly cub is combat ready and they aren't exactly invincible. They can only take out one goblin at a time more than that and they take hits that can end their careers and each time it happens it sets you back three years.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 06:50:18 pm »

My fort is 25 years old. My grizzly bear poplation still hasn't reached it's full size, since I bought the first couple in year 4, but I've got about 50 war grizzlies penned in strategic locations already. They do indeed take longer to grow up, but they also have a longer lifespan than dogs.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 07:55:51 pm »

Dogs saved my dwarves lives and time more than once.

Also, they rushed a Roc once before it could get to my dwarves and began to bite and latch onto it. The Roc tried to break free each of the bites(dozens) but just couldn't.

Finaly a Dwarf came with a steel spear and killed it before it could kill the rest of the dogs(about 8 died trying to hold it) and we feasted that night!
Pages: [1] 2