Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Nate's Terrafirmacraft Server: Put the Survival in Survival mode!  (Read 51255 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nate's Terrafirmacraft Server: Put the Survival in Survival mode!
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 03:09:53 am »

Just curious, did you link it while it was updated just recently? Seems there is a major health overhaul coming...
If you read the first line it says, Change Log.
It then says,
Beta Build 53 (Unreleased) Codename: Yes this update is going to take a while to be ready.

So you take a guess...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 04:40:29 am »

Just registered to the TFC forums to complain about the ridiculous coal use of bloomeries :D

You're not supposed to put the ore with such humongous amounts of carbon unless you're going for high carbon iron... slag/sponge.

All basic metals need to smelt is the right amount of heat. Iron is a special case :P

BTW, bloomeries should only be used for iron anyway. AND you don't drop the FUEL coal on top along with all the MIXTURE coal. You burn it at the base, like any other furnace, lol.

Ah, I love nitpicking.

honestly, all this is exactly the same as I thought when I first saw bloomeries.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 09:25:57 am »

So you take a guess...

Yeah, I know what version, but since the release is still WIP, there are things added to it over time. Last one mentioned there will be a huge health overhaul, starting with increasing base health to 2000 (or something like that) and thirst. Earlier, it used to be meals and at first, non-uniform stones and rock layers.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2012, 11:43:32 am »

Just registered to the TFC forums to complain about the ridiculous coal use of bloomeries :D

You're not supposed to put the ore with such humongous amounts of carbon unless you're going for high carbon iron... slag/sponge.

All basic metals need to smelt is the right amount of heat. Iron is a special case :P

BTW, bloomeries should only be used for iron anyway. AND you don't drop the FUEL coal on top along with all the MIXTURE coal. You burn it at the base, like any other furnace, lol.

Ah, I love nitpicking.
This is where Gameplay meets Realism.  Some sacrifices have to be made to realism if you want the game to be fun.  Having a different furnace for each ore and following the -exact- temperature of each fire would be incredibly annoying - though with the way food works it looks like annoying is intended.

Not to mention that the wiki pretty much hangs a lampshade on this, with the footnote, "Historically bloomeries were used for iron, but they're used for everything here."

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2012, 11:59:08 am »

Ladies and gentlemen of the Bay 12 community.
in the meetings of the savants of this world ( read: terrafirma forums), there is talk of marvelus things called "equator" or "poles", where temperature, weather and plants may change so wildly that human survival would radically change. While right now this is just an hypotesis, based on local observations and folklore, with the developement of our fine industrial society, the time has come to finally settle the matter.

Today, I announce my intentions of travelling first to the equator, and then to the pole, and plant our flag in both those places!

( suggest flag/totem)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2012, 12:31:52 pm »

Minecraft refuses to have a pole, but rather would have and endless frozen glacier, because the map is infinite.

So who's up for a Terrifying Glacier embark then?  Here's hoping ice counts as a stone for construction purposes!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 01:28:57 pm »

First of all, ladies, fish and dorfs, I announce that TFC has been updated to MC 1.4.2, along with sweet sweet additions:

• Meals! Finally a job for a true cook! Results vary depending on the seed! Use knife on a surface to prepare.
  • Thirst! You have four days' worth of water, which is used for sprinting (needs at least 50%, at 25% debuff). In a display of true dwarven hygiene, jump into a pool of swamp water and drink it.
  • Massive boost to both players' and mobs' health - you better get a proper weapon now.
  • Most likely a shitload of bugs to iron out in the next 40 patches coming this week.

Girlinhat, and Andrea you have my full support in embarking on the 'pole'. In fact, I have already explored it on a different server before, rough details of which I described in a book found in MH. Sadly, the trip to the equator proved fruitless, since the world generated a good ol' massive ocean and my boat disappeared.

Anyway, I must warn you, you're in for a nasty surprise on the pole: it is not made of ice, actually. It's just a regular plain/hill/mountain/what-have-you biome that happens to be generated snowy, and at least as of B52, IT ACTUALLY FOLLOWS THE WORLD WEATHER. As in, it can and will rain on the 'pole', causing it to thaw over, even though the temperatures are supposed to disallow that.

However, the challenge is still there, since there are NO trees, except for the fruit ones (which are useless for materials). So, have fun getting charcoal, I guess. Wait, I meant 'Let's have fun getting charcoal'. Count me in.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2012, 01:45:46 pm »

I'm working on testing the new version on my PC today. If all goes well we might update to the new version tonight. Smart moving isn't updated for 1.4.2 and might not be compatible anymore, that would suck! Tis' hard to go back to native movement after having been freed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2012, 02:37:08 pm »

I'll definitely jump in headfirst into 1.4.2 TFC.  Dwarven Meal Time is a-go!  Rotten Flesh + Putrid Eyeball + Potato = ☼Potato Roast[4]☼

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2012, 02:43:53 pm »

I'm working on testing the new version on my PC today. If all goes well we might update to the new version tonight. Smart moving isn't updated for 1.4.2 and might not be compatible anymore, that would suck! Tis' hard to go back to native movement after having been freed.

That's not getting unfreed, we are simply suffering from the slowness caused by the lack of the alcohol. Must I mention we need to rectify this horrifying booze deprivation?

Now seriously, it's just a matter of time that SM gets updated - the author is waiting for ModLoader to update, so the update lag stacks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2012, 02:58:25 pm »

I wonder how hard it'd be to make a simple mod and a simple workshop.  Take anything flagged as "food" and some fuel and produce a generic "booze" item.  Have it give hunger and hook onto TFC to give thirst.  I'm not familiar with modding, but it seems like making a replica furnace with an input and an output wouldn't be hard.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2012, 03:52:12 pm »

I wonder how hard it'd be to make a simple mod and a simple workshop.  Take anything flagged as "food" and some fuel and produce a generic "booze" item.  Have it give hunger and hook onto TFC to give thirst.  I'm not familiar with modding, but it seems like making a replica furnace with an input and an output wouldn't be hard.

That may or may not be harder than it sounds.

Although given the new meals system, we can make grain or potato meals (yeah, grains are usable for meals) and RP it as alcohols :P

Oh right - I played a bit with the meal system - it's awesome. Dibs on the cook position. It is random, yet with some common sense rules apparently - a slab of cooked pork with an egg on the side is way more filling than an onion and olives salad.

Also, buffs, yay! I can see it becoming the (legit) potions of TFC - I cooked up a meal with 6,5 minutes' worth of Haste II. Although finding such recipes will require some !!SCIENCE!! (Reminder: the recipes depend on the seed). The system has some limitations though, and I cannot discover what renders some recipes unfeasible - e.g. 3x olives and 1x orange didn't work, but 3x olives 1x cooked eggs did - I guess it has to go over a certain quality threshold.

The changes also make farming so much more important, since eating plain foods is less effective now. And yet it was made easier, by changing the water saturation system to something more like vanilla.

The thirst system makes it a bit harder to be a true dorf, unless we get some sort of plumbing.

Also, nate, you are officially the Blacksmith-Emperor of Dorfkind now, since now the impact of having weapons/armor is greater than ever: yes, the health is now increased to 1000, with damage scaled... but not for players without weapons, so if you are using fists, you could almost punch yourself for pretty much the same effect. And not only that: yes, the health is increased... but the regeneration rate is pretty much the same, so if your health gets low, have fun dying.

There apparently were some changes to the layer system to make it follow the surface curves, but I'm no miner.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »

Yeah, the food buff effects are random.  It means that strongholds will end up with their favored foods perfected by their top cooks, and keep them secret.  You may have a legit chance to scout the enemy's farmland to try and discover what their 30 Minute Haste III meal is.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2012, 04:56:33 pm »

So I don't get the damage change then. I thought it just multiplied all the numbers by 50 so you could have more granularity in weapons and armor.

That is,

20 HP and take 3 damage 
=
1000 HP and take 150 damage

Kinda like how Final Fantasy has huge HP and damage numbers compared to say D&D but it all evens out anyway.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2012, 05:14:30 pm »

So, when do the server update to 1.4.2 to match teh new TerraFirmaCraft?

edit:
For some strange reason, whenever I try to save & exit with the TFC 1.4.2 version,
it freezes on the "Shutting down internal server" screen.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:18:45 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21