Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Nate's Terrafirmacraft Server: Put the Survival in Survival mode!  (Read 51266 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nate's Terrafirmacraft Server: Put the Survival in Survival mode!
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2012, 06:31:17 pm »

here I shall write the chronicle of my journey. might take a while to complete it.

DAY 1
Today I start my journey to the middle of the world, in unknown lands.
From outpost to mountainhome, to gather the last supplies, and then straight south at the first light in the morning.
Long I am prepared to walk, but soon I find the first obstacle. Water blocks my way.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
unwilling to let such a simple thing stop me, I build a sturdy canoe out of a chestnut. I christened it with the name of "MHS voyager", then I began to cross the sea. If it is as big as the sea between Mountainhome and Outpost , I should shortly be back on land, and the hard part will begin.

Hours passed and I still haven't reached any worthy land mass, just some islands. This sea is much bigger than I expected; I wonder if it this sea is as big as the great continent of the mountainhome.

Night is falling, and I still haven't found a place where I can land and rest. I'll avoid the island filled with monsters and I'll sleep on the canoe, unless a storm forces me to do otherwise.
Before falling asleep, I do some observations of the night sky with my sextant, and I measure temperature.
I have already travelled 2500 Urists from Mountainhome and temperature is 16 C°. for an autumn night, it is warmer than it should be. but the difference is still too small to prove the equator theory.
I can't avoid wondering if this ocean will ever end, or if will last forever.

Day 2

It is past noon and the sea continues endless. It is a great ocean, an enormous bowl carved in the world. Maybe this is how the world is really made, and continents such as our are rare and sparse, mere particles of dust floating in a water?
I passed several islands, but I decided not to stop yet : supplies are still plenty and I don't want to waste any time.

Land! Finally I reached land. First it was a mountain at the horizon, then it grew into a great landmass.
Temperatures are well above 20 C° despite being in autumn. I'll call this side of the ocean the "Land of everlasting summer". I haven't worn my coat in the last hours, and I doubt I'll wear it for the rest  of the journey. In fact, I might have to use even lighter clothing as I approach the equator. With this sensible shift of temperature, the theory that temperature rises when going south is proved almost beyond reasonable doubt.
The mountain that welcomed me seems to be made entirely of rock salt, a curious feature for the members of the geological society. just beside it there is a ravine, also made of white rock salt, blinding brilliance even at this late hour.
I marked the position of this historical event with a sign, left for the future generations. according to my sextant, I am now 4536 tiles away from the predicted position of the equator. but the easy part of the journey ends here, since now I'll have to walk.
Before monsters infest the land, I'll carve a small shelter in the rock, to rest safely.

work in progress
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:00:53 pm by andrea »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2012, 06:57:53 pm »

Nice Andrea.

Any how, I have begun the expansion of the Mountainhome Town hall.
But because I may not be able to be on most of the time,
I have put up some signs inside to explain what needs to be done.
(In case anyone is interested in helping of the constuction. Or just plainly bored.)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2012, 07:19:31 pm »

Just registered to the TFC forums to complain about the ridiculous coal use of bloomeries :D

You're not supposed to put the ore with such humongous amounts of carbon unless you're going for high carbon iron... slag/sponge.

All basic metals need to smelt is the right amount of heat. Iron is a special case :P

BTW, bloomeries should only be used for iron anyway. AND you don't drop the FUEL coal on top along with all the MIXTURE coal. You burn it at the base, like any other furnace, lol.

Ah, I love nitpicking.
This is where Gameplay meets Realism.  Some sacrifices have to be made to realism if you want the game to be fun.  Having a different furnace for each ore and following the -exact- temperature of each fire would be incredibly annoying - though with the way food works it looks like annoying is intended.

Not to mention that the wiki pretty much hangs a lampshade on this, with the footnote, "Historically bloomeries were used for iron, but they're used for everything here."

Except iron *already* follows its own unique process, namely, hammering out all that stupid coal that you stuffed with it in the bloomery in the first place until it gets down to usable levels. I don't see we're getting "pig zinc", "pig tin", "pig gold", "pig silver", or do we?

That's the problem with some: they see the thing backwards. How do we make this *more* complex. The way I see it, they added a lot of complexity that was the *wrong complexity* in the first place. That complexity should be reduced to "how do we make other ores not follow the same process as iron? I know, let's not mix it with a ton of coal for no reason".

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2012, 07:37:35 pm »

Alright guys, doesn't seem to be any problems with the new update other than when you log back in you will start with no health. You'll just have to dwarf up.

For the server and client here are the versions I used for anyone having trouble:

MC 1.4.2 - Player API universal 1.0
minecraftforge-universal-6.0.1.341
TFCraft-Universal-Core-B2-Build55
Minecraft 1.4.2

P.S.

All old food seems to be broken, so food reserves are worthless. Time to go hunting!

Edit: This whole post is useless now. We have reverted back to the old version due to gamebreaking bugs in build 55.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:55:10 pm by nate9090 »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2012, 08:06:12 pm »

Hmm.. I cannot seem to find that version of Forge.. I have a newer one tough..

Nevermind, works perfectly in Multiplayer.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:55:11 pm by Ultimuh »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2012, 08:53:51 pm »

The thirst system makes it a bit harder to be a true dorf, unless we get some sort of plumbing.

All you need is a big hole that goes deep down... you "drink" by touching water, even running water.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »

We have figured out that we are going back to the old version for now thanks to massive forge dupe bug.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2012, 09:02:28 pm »

That and massive griefing that was done by an unknown individual. We may never truely know who stole all the anvils and jumped off the training forge...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2012, 09:03:47 pm »

What? How did the griefer get in?

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2012, 09:05:38 pm »

I don't know. Nate, how DID the griefer get in?

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2012, 09:08:51 pm »

How indeed. Luckily I have apprehended them. They didn't simply fall off the training forge... I pushed them! *dun dun dun*

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2012, 10:45:24 pm »

There's a version of TerraFirmaCraft for the Pretty/Scary update already?! Crazyfast.

Anyway, could I have a Whitelist? Solifuge is my in-game name.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2012, 10:54:29 pm »

There is but it is really buggy. I've already reverted back to the old version. In the new version lighting a forge would duplicate all the items already inside of it... Also the new hunger bar and eating was really buggy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2012, 11:04:41 pm »

TFC seems big on releasing features without providing much support for them.  Particularly, introducing gameplay limitations without ways to overcome them.  "Now you have to drink, but also there's no cups."  "Now your HP is bigger, but also you don't heal any faster."

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2012, 11:10:40 pm »

Now there is a new hunger bar, but you can't eat unless the old one is hungry!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21